University Scholars Program

<p>Is anyone familiar with this program? Do you like it? Are you doing it in accounting, finance, or economics? How many hours are you taking a semester? Etc</p>

<p>I’m getting a master’s in economics, most likely in data mining, through this program. I need to take the GMAT or GRE soon so I can start this fall. I know the Department of Economics, Finance, and Legal Studies really encourages its top students to participate in the University Scholars program.</p>

<p>What are your intended undergraduate majors and what master’s degree program are you interested in?</p>

<p>I’m very interested in economics. I originally thought finance but realized the I liked economics better plus it is better for law school because it is more analytical, or so I hear. I have considered economics, finance, and accounting. My dad is an accountant and makes good money and account is a steady field. Basically I want to have a decent job whether or not pursue law school. What made you choose economics? How far are you into the program? How many hours are you taking?</p>

<p>I was under the impression I would get my bachelors and masters in economics.</p>

<p>I caution against majoring in something primarily because it “looks better on law school applications.” Part of the reason UA doesn’t offer a pre-law major, or pre-med for that matter, is that you can major in almost anything and still be able to meet the admissions requirements. Technically, nothing is stopping me from taking all the courses required for med school admission and it is actually popular for business majors to have a background in medicine. That said, you can indeed get a good analytical background for law by majoring in business, economics included.</p>

<p>I’ll go into more detail later. Are you an incoming freshman or prospective student? What is your declared major?</p>

<p>Well, I realize this but I think economics is a better fit for me. I am an incoming freshman. My declared major is finance. My Bama Bound session is June 2-3.</p>

<p>I’ll send you a PM. momreads’s son is also doing the University Scholars Program in Economics.</p>

<p>Is the University Scholars program available in Accounting? I didn’t see that it was listed on the UA website. With the 150 hour requirement, that would be a really useful program for an accounting major with a lot of AP credits.</p>

<p>If accounting is not available now, it could be in a few years. Each year, there are more disciplines added. So, accounting could be available in the next couple of years.</p>