University Studies Health Humanities vs. Biomedical Sciences

Howdy! I am an incoming freshman and have been excited and ready for BIMS, but after looking more into Health Humanities, I am tempted to switch my major into that. I am pre-med and I think both majors handle that well. Anyone’s opinions on one or the other? I’m leaning towards switching, but I am not 100% sure what I am going to do yet.

Thank you,
Benjamin

My daughter is also BIMS. She is also hoping to go to medical school. She had the same delima, but was looking at biology and BIMS. For now she is sticking with BIMS. Here is why.

1. one of her doctor’s who did their undergraduate at a&m originally told us about BIMS,
  2. she visited with her cousin who is in her 3rd year at vet school and some of her friends. Some were BIMS and some were biology and some come from other schools. The general consensus was that BIMS was the way to go
  3. called local Dallas office and talked to a lead advisor. He said if she truly was going the medical route, to go BIMS
  4. BIMS allows her to keep up her Spanish skills with a language certification or maybe a minor (advisor for BS in Biology told us she would not be able to minor in Spanish…hum)
  5. finally, since I hate closing any doors, we printed off the degree plans for both and compared them for freshman year. They were almost identical. So, staying with BIMS and she can figure it out over the next couple years. How does Allied Health freshman year compare?

One other thought. There are many ways to get to your final goal of med school. I read somewhere that there are counselors specific to pre-med…maybe you can reach out to one of them. Also, can’t find now, but at one time I located a spreadsheet provided by a&m that showed their medical school #/type of undergraduate degrees that had been accepted into med school. I know you can do any undergraduate with some specific courses and then sit for MCAT, but this chart was interesting…think it was under Texas a&m medical school’s Page.

@Tuppence22 Thank you for your insight!