Unofficial test scores

At some of the schools I’m applying to (Choate, Loomis, Andover,…) require test scores (TOEFL, SSAT, SAT) to be submitted as official (that is, from the testing center). I have submitted my scores unofficially by sending score reports via email, and I have been informed that they would be added to my application. If these scores are unofficial will it impact whether they will be considered or not? I am reluctant to send official scores as I must pay additional fees to deliver them to score recipients.

I would email or call the schools and ask directly. One of my daughter’s schools required her to send a graded math test (not quiz) if she applied test optional. She asked if she could just use her MAP test scores instead and they said that was perfectly fine. Most schools are fairly flexible and want you to be able to apply.

I emailed all the schools I’m applying to my TOEFL and SAT scores, and all of the reports were added and the standardized testing section on my portal would be listed as “Verified”. I just recently received an email from Choate saying that my TOEFL scores “could not be saved as official”, which concerns me a bit. By the way, if I send the schools my scores now directly from CollegeBoard/ETS, would they make it in time considering the application deadline is today?

If they require official test scores you need to send official test scores. I’d do so immediately and then email your ao and apologize for the delay. If Choate says “could not be saved as official” it is because they are waiting for the testing score report.

If schools require official scores they will still add unofficial scores to your file. They add everything to your file. If scores are required, with official reports, yours will be missing.

If you truly cannot spend the money that’s different and you need to have a conversation with an ao about it.

Thank you for the advice; I would try my best to send my scores now. I’ve also heard that deadlines are now flexible after the issue on Gateway; does that mean my score reports would be delivered in time and I would receive my decisions on March 10?

Unless schools change the day of decisions you’ll know M10. If your application is late that doesn’t change the decision process.

I think score reports are automatically delivered once you pay the fee but I can’t remember exactly.

2 Likes

I strongly advise that you contact the schools and let them know you have arranged for the scores to be sent (assuming you have.) If you act quickly, they will have them soon. The schools can then start reviewing your application and will simply verify the scores.
This is the responsible way to do this, Gateway glitch or not.

Schools overall are happy to work through these things with applicants who are making an effort to get them what they need. They will, however, release decisions on M10 and have a lot of work to do between the deadline (even if it gets moved) and then, so make it easy for them!

3 Likes

From what I remember, TOEFL and SAT scores take 1-2 weeks to be delivered to the schools. I have already sent the schools unofficial score reports, so I think it’d be alright if I have the official scores delivered before February for them to verify. I will definitely notify the schools.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying. Btw, whats the difference between official and unofficial scores? How different will unofficial scores be considered to official ones?

I would think there’s no difference unless there was a scaling adjustment made after the fact. Seems unlikely!

Oh, okay. I would still send schools official scores from test centers just to make sure.

1 Like

That’s what they want.

1 Like

The difference of unofficial and official are unofficial come from the applicant and official come from the test service. Much like a transcript. You can send them copies, but those are not official as you could potentially alter them or completely fabricate them. You might have a copy of one for your records that you have and you send with your application, but your official one will come directly from your school.

Verified can be a host of different things from you entered your score in the app portal, sent a copy of your score and someone matched the 2 and said yes I saw something that showed this value. Or it could be they have verified your score sent to the school from the test service is “this” value. We’ve had it listed both ways depending on the school.

1 Like