Unpredictable admissions?

is it true that the UC decisions this yr were rlly whack or shocking? like for ex: my senior friend had perfect stats and test scores and her ECs were I think yearbook and uci cosmos (idk she probably did more tbh) and she only got into riverside and waitlisted/ rejected from all the other 8 UC campuses. so now I’m like concerned lmao…

UC’s in my experience have been unpredictable for many years not just this year. Much depends upon your intended major. Competitive majors such as Engineering/CS/Biology etc… are more competitive than the average stats posted on the student profiles. This can be a cause for a misinterpretation of an applicants chances. Also each UC is looking for fit based on their own criteria. There are no guarantees for any applicant.

In a word - yes. Each campus evaluates based on 14 criteria - some of which are qualitative so there is a lot of subjectivity in UC admissions.

But, as a student, get your head around the concept that all of the UCs are very good schools and have a LOT more qualified applicant than they have seats.

UCR’s average freshman admit had close to a 4.0 UCGPA last year. There’s no shame in getting in or attending there.
https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses-majors/riverside/freshman-admission-profile.html

TBH yea, really surprised. I got accepted to UCR, UCSB, and UCSD for Biochemistry as a CC transfer and idk how. I only did half of UCSD’s major requirements and they still accepted me against their own rules. Makes no sense and was surprising because I only expected to get into UCR.
My main takeaway from this is that doing the CC->UC route is rewarding as these schools seem to really favor CC students. It seems that UC’s are being much more tougher on freshman applicants rather than transfer applicants. When I applied as a senior in high school, I didn’t even get into CSU LA. So, if you happen to get in nowhere…CC’s are the wave right now. I recommend.