Unusual Hook for Elite Schools [3.96, 1530, 35]

What is the EC? Could be anything from robotics to roller skating. Could you please provide more info?

You could get in to any of those schools. Or none. I don’t see a safety school. Do you have one?

• white/male/elite private school
  • US domestic
  • OOS for all schools
  • no first gen/low income/legacy

*applied math/economics/

**3.96 UW

• SAT 1560
  • ACT 35
  • 20/200 rank

**10 AP all 5/4,

**International medalist in main EC (20 hrs / wk x years) - impressive but non collegiate activity ,primary orginial research paper submitted for publication/ mid activites all related to majors/no academic competitions

**LOR good 6-8/10

**Essays 9/10

**Cost Constraints none

**Schools

Please chance me on:

Duke ED1
Wash U ED2

MIT
Brown
Yale
Princeton
CMU
UPenn
USC
UMIch
Northwestern
Barnard
CWR
U Rochester

The activity is a non collegiate sport. Therefore, not a recruited athlete. Represents grit and dedication in a unique profile. There are 3 -6 safeties not listed.

All they rest of the EC are very specifically related to 3 majors of math, econ and neuroscience. Publications, service, innovation etc.
So strong focused story with clear direction.

FYI - you tagged “Barnard College” (BC) to your topic - which is the women’s college at Columbia University?

Unless you identify and live as a woman, you would need to apply to the university’s co-ed Columbia College (CC) instead!

1 Like

error - sorry…

I don’t see a hook? What are you referring to?

The award in a non collegiate sport. Non recruitable. Non academic. How much value / weight to college community?? Possible to bring new club to campus…

1 Like

I do not think it is truly a hook , as it is not recruitable/not a college sport/activity. Most likely it will just count as a very impressive EC considering you practice it 20hrs a week and have an international award.

Beyond your top scores and high rank, what will determine your chances at these mostly “reach for everyone” schools are your course rigor compared to what is offered at your school, as well as how your HS does in general with college admissions for these types of ivy/plus super elites.

-how many kids per year matriculate at the schools you list above, not counting CWR , Rochester, and Barnard?
-what are the AP courses you took/are taking?
-what AP courses does your school offer that you are not taking?
-did you take all 5 core courses grades 9-11, and what did you choose in addition to these 5 each year?
-what is your senior year course schedule?

Thank you for clarifying that this is not a “hook”.
Elite private school with over 40% of class in top 30 schools (15% top 10)
Expecting first group, fingers crossed for second.
Aggressive rigor in classes, maximized choices except AP Physics, Language to level IV done
Senior AP econ, AP calc BC, AP stats, AP Comp Sci, Honors Eng, Honors Neuosci
Other EC:
Independent research study (NOT lab research) submitted for publication
Accredited SAT tutor on respected platform
Published essays in neuroscience
Part of team creating neuroscience prototype
Founder Service org with recognition by larger service org
Employed coach in sport
Leadership role in economics org

If you’re at a top school - then you should talk to counselors there.

Are you low income or not? I can’t tell.

I look at your list - and say this is great.

But given it’s possible you are shut out, then what? Because it is very possible…maybe not probable but possible.

Good luck.

1 Like

Unfortunately for my parents, full pay…
What do you mean shut out???
Counselors are helpful but politically careful to be cautious and supportive at the same time.

Not accepted to any of these top schools

5 Likes

Show interest to CWRU. Rochester seems possible. The rest of this list is quite top heavy. But if you are happy with your safety schools then go for it

1 Like

With that information, I think you are likely to get either Duke or WashU(your ED schools)

i mean - because many will be RD, perhaps they don’t admit you. We’ve seen instances were kids get into MIT but not BU. So schools don’t want to be seen as “alternatives.”

I think you’ll get into a school or schools on this list but it would not surprise me if you got into none.

Who else is on your list that’s an assured admit - that you would be happy to attend?

2 Likes

If you are happy with these safety schools, apply to others and see.

2 Likes

You best adcice will come from your “elite private school” counselor.

Your EC is not a hook, but it may be positive, interesting, and unusual activity.

As long as you would be happy at one of your safety schools your list is a bit reach-heavy but fine.

2 Likes

I think you have a very decent chance from your EDs, CWRU (show them your love a lot)!, URoch, possibly UMich( take waitlist if given). RD in elite schools is like gambling, you never can predict. Just to be “safe” apply to couple schools that you would be happy to attend. What are your 3-6 safeties?

1 Like

Very high level achievement in a sport would be a hook only at those colleges that recruit for that sport. Otherwise, they would be an EC (though if you are achieved at a very high level like national or international champion, it would be relatively impressive among ECs).

Sports ECs may be privileged over other ECs at small colleges with lots of sports teams that depend on walk-on athletes to supplement their recruited athletes.