Update on the waitlist

<p>@ JudyJim: not anger, just the truth. Give your kid some space and quit blogging about your kid getting into college. I’m not trying to be mean, I’m really not, but if I found out that either of my parents spent that much time (let alone any time) blogging about my college chances or decisions I would think they were pathetic. Regardless, congrats to everyone who got in! To those who didn’t, remember, its just Madison, sure its a very good school but its nothing extraordinary. Thank you to all for you help and kind words over the past months and good luck! As for me, I couldn’t be happier with how everthing has played out. I will be attending the University of California Berkeley this fall!!! I’d much rather in CALI than Wisconsin, and I’d much rather be a BEAR than a Badger! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :)</p>

<p>Parents provide some useful information and a different perspective for students. </p>

<p>Each college has its pros and cons, as MNB… will discover. Sour grapes are not needed. Enjoy your school everyone.</p>

<p>It’s not sour grapes people. You just don’t want to be told to grow up and quit caring so much about where we kids go to school. It’s weird. Kids are ready for their parents to respectfully give them space and let them grow and become independent. Trust me, I’m one of them, I know.</p>

<p>As long as most parents are footing the bill that can reach $200,000 over 4 years they will care. Also most HS students have very little knowledge of colleges other than a little hearsay and looking through some guides. Meanwhile many parents have actually BEEN to college–often those in question. So who knows more? You may think you are ready but at 17-18–you are not really ready for much. You just think you are. We have been there too. Many of the questions here show how LITTLE most kids know about colleges. Even simple stuff.</p>

<p>MNBADGER2011-I am not a helicopter mother and my son is super independent! He did all his applications,essays etc. without any of my help. As a caring parent I want the best for him and I want information on the college process and tips on what to expect regarding waitlist, deposits and much much more. Many students and parents have given me great advice and support during some disappointments. Some useful information I have passed on to my son and some has been most helpful in helping me navigate this process since I will be paying the tuition etc. College is a BIG deal and a big financial commitment not just for the student. Psychologically it is very helpful to be informed and to understand the process of certain things so if a student needs support the parents at least have an understanding of how things work regarding admissions to college etc.</p>

<p>Barrons wrote-</p>

<p>As long as most parents are footing the bill that can reach $200,000 over 4 years they will care. Also most HS students have very little knowledge of colleges.</p>

<p>Well said!!!</p>

<p>Ya my parents are fine with paying that for the number one public school in the world! Haha. Madtown can’t come close to that! :slight_smile: Wisconsin or California? Hmmm? Tough choice :)</p>

<p>I live in california and have a few friends and cousins who attended or are at berkeley.
Have you ever visited the school? The surrounding city is horribly ugly and because of their extremely liberal culture over there, they allow hobos all around the campus and often times in it. Thats the other thing, most state universities are pretty liberal, but berkeley imo is just too much with the hateful anti-military campaigns and such(but if ur into that its fine i guess). I hope you like asians, because berkeley is nearly 50% and my friend there currently said they are very cliquey and unfriendly. He also said good looking guys there outnumber girls so even the ugly ones get a bit cocky. The football stadium is pretty crappy, seen some better stadiums at high schools(not to mention cal sports are kind of weak). Dont get me wrong Berkeley is one of the top universities in the world and most definitely the best state uni in the country (especially engineering and hard sciences). But you have lost the game if that is the only real reason you chose that school. Then again most state universities are what you make them. I know some people who love berkeley others who cant wait to get out. Good luck getting top 10% at berkeley if ur an engineering/pre med/or hard science major your going to need it.</p>

<p>also i reccomend you try to join a fraternity as your housing will be alot cheaper/less worrysome especially in the upper classmen years when you’re trying to find off campus housing $1500 a month only gets you a crappy apartment best of luck</p>

<p>Mike123- you said a lot I wasn’t going to bother with, no need to be negative. However… Berkeley has similarities in campus culture to UW and Madison- both very liberal. The Asian/European American ratio is quite different, however- could be culture shock for a Minnesotan. UW is many hills, UC-B is one huge, steep incline. Cost of living much higher. With all of the budget cuts I’m also hearing it is harder to get into classes there. </p>

<p>MNBadger- repeat, no need for the sour grapes post. Both schools have pros and cons. It would be a tough choice for many.</p>

<p>So here we have wis75 on this post telling a Minnesotan it might be “culture shock” to go to Berkeley with all those Asians, then get on another thread and tell an Asian that they should go to UW and embrace diversity. Telling.</p>