UPenn Early Decision for Fall 2022 Admission

dang that must be a devastating deferral. im also a legacy that got deferred

None….They don’t follow AP curriculum ……So, a student can take AP exam based on what they learnt in honors class, which is the highest level. He took all honors classes offered at the highest level possible….with the highest # of classes…. He is at math level linear algebra, differential calculus …so past BC calculus.

Anyone who applied to the 7 year dental program that got their result?
I got deferred :frowning:

My sympathies for all who got disappointing outcome….we are ok….we knew these things are not predictable….Just need to do more work on other schools now. From my point of view it is a learning experience to not take anything fore granted in life….just hope he gets in somewhere where he can thrive!

5 Likes

Accepted M&T

2 Likes

Deferred
Asian - Bangladesh
99.14 GPA
1310 SAT
Eagle Scout
Varsity Athlete
Ran at Penn Relays freshman year
CA essay: About overcoming inertia

I went Test-optional btw

I was told by a friend that two of her daughter’s classmates were accepted into Wharton today — both legacies.

3 Likes

Girls/ boys? May be more boys apply to Wharton than girls making it harder for boys to get in…? Who knows I am just speculating at this point….

May be there something that clicked better with those who were admitted….

She didn’t say — just said two “friends.”

1 Like

would you mind describing your honors/activities, etc.
I would love to apply M&T but do not know if I am a competitive applicant

i got into M&T !

2 Likes

Just got into Bioengineering at SEAS!!

3 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

2 interesting articles on ED to when you back out Questbridge, recruited athletes, large donors and legacy, the ED admit rate is not far from RD for many schools:

Penn only considers legacy for ED, or if deferred from ED to RD. Last year’s legacy admit rate was 24% vs. overall ED admit rate of 14%. Note if the parents performed well academically, then it is probable that their children also perform similarly. Thus, the legacy pool may likely be a very highly competitive applicant pool by itself, yet 3/4 are rejected with some of them deferred. Not enough information is available to prove this one way or the other. The admissions office said it considered legacy for ED, but say by how much.

As a majority of the applicant pool is qualified for admission, more than just the number of APs or exact GPA or ACT scores come into play. The personal qualities, personal story and career goals, diversity, why Penn, etc. make the essays an important part of the process, with recommendations providing support. I say this as so many posters seem to ask for stats, but no one asks for and compares full submitted essay sets.

Penn’s admissions site states, “We’re interested in learning all about you: what you love, your strengths, your challenges, your interests, and how all of these pieces come together to make you a distinct individual who will actively grow and contribute to the Penn community.”

Penn also mentions its ideal applicant’s characteristics:

“We look for students who aspire to develop and refine their talents and abilities within Penn’s liberal arts-based, practical, and interdisciplinary learning environment. Our ideal candidates are inspired to emulate our founder Benjamin Franklin by applying their knowledge in “service to society” to our community, the city of Philadelphia, and the wider world. To best understand prospective students’ paths through Penn, we approach applications with a well-rounded whole person review and with great care.”

https://admissions.upenn.edu/admissions-and-financial-aid/what-penn-looks-for

Other competitive schools likely have desired traits they want to see in their applications.

1 Like

did you end up getting into Huntsman?

Sorry to hear about the deferral. Given the candidate profile, I think you’re still very much in the game.

I am just curious - in terms of legacy, how involved has the parent been with the school, in terms of time and $?

1 Like

I got rejected:(

Similar result. Similar Stats. Double Legacy. President of many top organizations ( not tiny clubs). Great interview. Service awards. Top academic/science awards. Varsity captain 3 sports ( not recruited athlete). Non minority. Thought essays were great (others agreed). From state that had many applicants. Still about a 10% chance in the RD round but with half the spots gone statistics are not in any deferred persons favor. Time for plan B.

2 Likes

Hopefully plan b was already prepared for and you are not starting over.

Note to future readers…Penn is a reach for everyone and everyone needs a Plan B from the start.

Also, love the school that loves you back. If deferred or rejected, move on. Yes if deferred, provide new grades and a letter of continued interest but emotionally move on.

2 Likes