UPenn vs GA Tech for Engineering

My son has gotten into both the great programs. He is pretty good in Math and has a strong inclination towards Physics. Which school would suit him best? Dad and son are visiting both schools in the coming weeks but would love to hear your thoughts.

1 Like

Need more information…What type of student and person is he/what type of vibe is he looking for in a school? What does he like to do in his free time? Career goals? Does he have preferences for climate, location, etc? Is there a meaningful cost difference that would require parental loans for one school and not the other?

1 Like

Hopefully he’ll know after he visits both and won’t need anyone else’s opinion. In the end, you win either way.

What type of engineering ?

2 Likes

His high school is an invitation only public magnet school, so he’s used to and comfortable with smaller school setting. He’s okay with a small set of friends, he’s not the most popular or most outgoing kid. Not sure if he fits to the “nerd” label. He was mentioning a lot about being in academia but I think slowly the challenges are opening up to him.

He has been accepted to Electrical and Computer Engg in GaTech and in UPenn it’s only to SEAS. He’s pretty flexible there i think.

I personally think of these two as for more career oriented but obviously a large chunk continue their studies.

I do think while they have some similarities one will stand out after visiting - well hopefully.

In advance if you have not seen here are career reports for each to dig through.

https://academiceffectiveness.gatech.edu/surveys/reports/georgia-tech-career-survey-salary-report-ay-2021-2022-public

UPenn engineering appears to limit enrollment only in Digital Media Design (DMD) or Networked and Social Systems Engineering (NETS), according to Changing Your Major/Curriculum . Other engineering majors appear to be open to any who complete the necessary courses.

Georgia Tech’s change of major policy is at Change of Major | Advising & Transition .

this is very helpful, thank you!

No bad choices here. Average class sizes are comparable, but GT classes might be slightly smaller. Changing majors within the first year is easy at both GT and Penn. Penn kids are pretty social but my kid will proudly tell you “everyone here is a nerd.” Campus visits should help clarify fit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.