UPMC Summer Academy 2018

Hi all! I’ve applied to the UPMC summer academy recently. Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is? Also what is the program like for anyone who’s done it before?

No clue. I applied too. Any idea when the result will come out?

You’re talking about Hillman Cancer Academy right?? Just to make sure, haha. But, in that case, I emailed a few weeks before, and they told me it depended on the research area you applied to. But generally 20-30%. Hope that helps! I applied to BTW, so maybe we will see each other there if lucky!!! What research sites?

*too this keyboard sucks

I think the results will come out sometime in April

And yes I was talking about the Hillman Academy haha! My first research site was Women’s cancer, then Tumor immunology, and cancer biology. I’m so nervous for the results!

What sites did you all put down?

i put women’s, cancer bio and then TI

I applied to Women’s and TI! They told me your application is sent only to your first two choices. I’m so nervous, because they also told me there’s generally only 5 or so spots for Women’s…! :frowning: Hopefully, we will all get in!

Does anyone know what stats previously accepted students had? I’m not sure if my application was very strong compared to other applicants, haha. I can’t wait to find out!

I don’t know about the other applicants stats, but I know some of them were students who went on to Harvard, Cornell etc… That makes me kinda nervous haha

Just wondering… what were some of your activities/experience related to the program? In mine, I talked about my involvement in Science Olympiad quite a bit and some volunteer work

I talked a bit about my previous research experience but idk if they wanted to hear about that since it wasn’t cancer research, do any of y’all also have previous experience?

@hs2med @Holamiamigo I don’t have any previous experience with research, but I did mention these things: leadership activities (involvement in student council, current class VP, etc), volunteering at a hospital & nursing home & library & summer camp & some other places, and being president and founder of a club or two. But my only EC related to science and research was founder/president of a synthetic biology team. I actually interviewed for a research internship position yesterday, so I’m thinking about emailing to update them on this maybe if I land the internship.

I wanna get in so bad! :frowning: I don’t want to spend my whole summer being bored in my tiny town, haha.

Let’s keep each other posted when results come out! If I were to be accepted, it would be so cool to know someone there before I even get there. :slight_smile:

@dsfjlciodsfljk Wow! How was the interview? Was it for UPMC? And do you live near the program? I don’t live in Pennsylvania so I would need to stay in the dorms. I’m so anxious for April to come!

@Holamiamigo No, it was just for a professor at my local university, but I think it went smoothly. :slight_smile: And same here! I would have to stay in the dorms too, because I’m from Alabama, haha. What state do you reside in? And I wholeheartedly agree on feeling anxious, ugh!

I live in cali so i would be in a dorm too! we should def keep each other posted it would be super cool to know people ahead of time if were lucky enough to get in

do we know for sure that results come out in april?

I’m from Minnesota! I’m pretty sure that results come out in April, it was in a confirmation email I got when I turned in my application