Urgent request - help about Honor council [ChatGPT accusation]

We would only have been aware if the other school had included it on their transcript. I have never seen any such notation on a transcript, and we did not include that kind of information on our transcripts.

1 Like

TBH, I can’t even remember. I did it as a lark (more or less).

I just googled something like “best AI detectors” and found some articles listing what purport to be some of the better ones. I ran the paragraph of text against about 5 of them, with one definitely saying it was AI and the others saying it wasn’t.

Not very scientific, I concede. But I would be pretty sure that there is a lot of variance between/among these detectors.

Many grad school applications ask students to disclose.

2 Likes

AMCAS and ACOMAS both require all institutional actions (IA)violations to be reported by the students whether or not it appears on your official transcript or records. AMCAS requires you report the type of violation (academic or conduct) and you are given space to explain the incident.

Plagiarism is serious offense and the judgement of individual adcomms will vary depending on the exact offense and its severity, when in college it happened (freshman vs senior year, for example) and the applicant’s behavior in subsequent years.

Some schools have a zero tolerance policy for academic violations that result in an automatic rejection; others may be more tolerant if the offense occurs early in a student’s academic career and if student shows evidence of personal growth and maturity resulting from the incident, coupled with zero additional academic or conduct violations.

Failure to disclose an IA can result in severe consequences–more severe than the IA itself, since every student signs an affidavit attesting all information is correct and accurate in their applications. An offer of admission can be withdrawn if it’s found that they lied on their application. The withdrawal of admission can even happen after a student has completed med school. (A retroactive withdrawal invalidates their med diploma and effectively bans an individual from practicing medicine for life.)

1 Like

wow that is very significant then. So does other graduate school also has similar policy or law school too

1 Like

Medicine is a profession where ethics are very highly valued.

I don’t know what policies other graduate and profession programs have toward IAs.

1 Like

Back to the OPs question, I think you need to have a very candid and non-emotional conversation with your son about whether he used AI in writing the essay. If he did, he needs to take the lesser grade or grades. He cheated and was caught and that is the penalty at this institution. Be thankful it is not more severe. If he did not, he should have demonstrable evidence that he didn’t including computer evidence of drafts, etc. Ask him to show them to you. Most computer software will have a way to look at the version history. Google how to do that if you don’t already know.

None of us are perfect. We all make mistakes and when we do there are consequences. Certainly this is a consequence but also a great learning experience for your child. I would view it as such.

4 Likes

Because if they do a hearing without legal help, and they don’t get the result they want, it will be too late for a lawyer to do much to help. The time for legal advice is at the beginning, before the student makes blunders that they can never take back. Kids go into these hearings with the “help” the college provides and they end up waiving their rights and making all kinds of statements or concessions that ruin their chances of making their case at a later stage.

Are people confusing “talk to a lawyer” with “file a lawsuit against the college”? They are not the same thing. “Advisors” who are part of the school’s process are beholden to the school’s process, not to the student. If you hire an attorney, their entire duty is to you. How can it be a bad thing to get advice from someone who has your best interests first? If the LAWYER says it’s too early to get involved, fine. But to go into the hearing without legal advice is a bad mistake.

If you find a mysterious bump on your face, should you try cutting it off on your own, and only call a doctor if that fails? No. Talk to the doctor FIRST. You can do permanent damage as an amateur.

No, he isn’t, unless he has been charged with a crime. Colleges, especially private colleges, have enormous leeway to discipline their students however they want.

Law schools will be just as rigorous as medical schools in requiring disclosure and explanation, but the consequences to an application are not as severe. Other grad schools vary, but are rarely as searching in their inquiries as med and law schools.

(For context, I am a former lawyer and presently an admissions consultant specializing in educational crisis management. Thank you for the Bat Signal, @Mwfan1921!)

10 Likes

So @hanna is suggesting a consult with this type of lawyer to help your son understand and prepare for this hearing
if I’m understanding this correctly.

That sounds like a good idea.

@Tomtom22

1 Like

Thanks @Hanna . I defer to your expertise.

2 Likes

@hanna- That was a very thoughtful reply. Thanks for passing along constructive knowledge!

2 Likes