URGENT: UCSB Vs. UCB

<p>I just went up for Calday, and although I did not see too many good-looking girls I was still impressed with the liveliness of the campus. I am deciding between Cal and UCSB. Right now for me, its a question of whether I want to immerse myself in a more academic environment, or social environment. In highschool I wasn’t to social, and thats why I’m considering SB. What do you guys think, how is Cal’s social scene, do academics take up a lot of time, leaving little time for socializing? I got to make a decision this week, and I just don’t know what to do.</p>

<p>While SB's social scene is going to be better than Cal's, it's not like you'll have a lack thereof of one at Berkeley, especially if it warrants you not choosing it as opposed to UCSB. When choosing a school to go to for 4 years, its nice to think of the next couple of decades ahead in your life as well. While undergraduate education might not be all important, there will be a difference between your quality of life graduating from Cal in comparison to graduating from SB. If you think you can maintain academic performance regardless of school and serve to have a strong GPA at SB, I guess it wouldn't matter if you go to Berkeley or not, so SB might edge it out there. But, I for one, will probably conform to the abilities of my peers at college, and I don't see myself doing all too well in a tier 2 UC compared to a tier 1, where the competition is healthy and I'm kept sharp.</p>

<p>You won't lack for a social life at either school. In addition to a great party scene you will find excellent sports, a multitude of restaurants, concerts, tons of clubs, active intramurals, research, internships and a fun neighborhood at Cal. You are really down to deciding between an urban Northern California environment and a coastal beachtown. Cal is not all work and no play and SB is not all play and no work. The trick is in choosing the school where you personally will be able to maintain the best balance.</p>

<p>I would have to disagree with picking a college based on where you see yourself in several decades Pepper. The significance of the school you graduate from is most likely going to be your first job, or graduate school. Each school Smooth Jerome is choosing between will easily get him into graduate school if that is his goal. As for first job, odds are Cal has an advantage based on reputation. Although it may have an advantage in reputation, with out the correct credentials it does not matter where you graduate from. The school where you see your self enjoying the next 4-5 years is probably going to be where you have the most academic success, and obtain the best credentials. If someone is not happy, it has to be hard to find the motivation to do well in school. Thus between the two quality schools you are choosing between Smooth Jerome, I would suggest going to the school where you will enjoy life for the next 4-5 years the most.</p>

<p>If you add what you are looking for in college, and what your goal is after you graduate people might be able to better compare the two schools.</p>

<p>However, academic success is also determined in part (for me a lot), by surrounding peers. If you go to a school where your dorm mates are partying frequently and neglecting to put forth much work towards classes, chances are you'll conform to that standard. While I'm not saying that UCSB has such a characteristic student body (in fact, what I tend to hear about it is that its changed in recent years), I would have to say that this is a trait that is more represented in students going to Cal. Sure you'll want a social life, and if you can handle your coursework in either school, you can easily choose which one you go to. But when a significant number of your peers are socializing, there lies a temptation, which has the potential to alienate chances of graduate school. At least at Berkeley, if you do overly enjoy a social life, you have a cushion with its prestige; if you do that at SB, there really isn't much to excuse a low college GPA with.</p>

<p>Based on your circumstances I vote that you go to Cal. </p>

<p>"In highschool I wasn't to social, and thats why I'm considering SB."</p>

<p>Do you honestly think that if you weren't too social in your high school you're just going to get up and be ready to become immersed in hardcore partying like in SB, and be able to stay on track academically? </p>

<p>"I did not see too many good-looking girls"</p>

<p>The social scene doesn't depend on whether the girls are hot or not. And no offense meant, but if you aren't a hot guy yourself and you go to SB expecting the hot girls to be all up on you, don't count on it. I doubt the guys at SB are ugly considering the reputation.</p>

<p>I bet Berkeley was all hyped up simply because it was Cal Day. But I can say from visiting during the school term, Berkeley people seem generally social. And I personally like the environment. Hell, I saw quite a few hot guys at Berkeley though, so you still might have hard competition for even the "average" looking girls. </p>

<p>And I will agree that the girls at UCB look more average, but that's because I can tell one big thing when I look at them: the majority doesn't wear that much make up. Don't be fooled by make up man. Go on youtube and search "make up tutorial" then sit back and watch the magic as you see that underneath all the gunk, "pretty girls" are just as ugly as "ugly girls".</p>

<p>UCB is soooooo much better than UCSB, overall. Besides, I know people that have burned out from UCSB's part scene and came home after a year. drinking from 4 PM-middle of the night every single day of the week=overkill.</p>

<p>It really is a matter of your own choice; you will most likely be successful wherever you choose to go. I go to UCSB so I am kinda biased. I love it here; it is not only the party school that everyone thinks it is. There is a lot more than the social life. Academic here are challenging and just because there is not harsh competition and people work more together does not mean it does not present its own challenges. The whole reputation thing doesn’t matter in the long run. I agree with previous posts that it will defiantly help get your foot in the door early on. Either way you go, you are going to a top university. There is a very heavy party scene on the weekend and if you are not prepared to be very social, especially in the begging, it will be hard; you will not magically become very social once you walk into IV. Overall, at UCSB it is a balance between work and play, it is defiantly not one sided. You need to go where you can see yourself being comfortable and happy or else you experience will not be good anywhere.</p>

<p>Peppers, you only reinforced my comment when applied to your personality. I get the impression for you to enjoy life the most doing as well in school as possible is essential. Thus you would enjoy life better at Cal since you would do better there given your personality. When I mentioned go to where you will enjoy life the most I was not implying partying. Is this what you thought I meant? </p>

<p>Also, why does not doing well at UCSB leave you significantly less cushion? If you do not do well at well at either school I doubt there will be much cushion.</p>

<p>I provided an example with my personality, since I feel that this is most strongly my opinion as a determining factor in choosing a college. What I sought to illustrate, though, is that even if it isn't a determining factor in what school to go to, it is still a significant one, given our general understanding of Jerome. He clearly demonstrated academic proficiency in HS to get into Berkeley, which would suggest that there may be a drive towards greater success. While both schools are clearly good, the environment at Berkeley is more geared towards studying, although by no means lacking a social environment. Both schools have parties and social lives and academics, but when classmates at SB have a greater propensity towards socializing, it leaves the question as to whether a sufficient emphasis will be placed on academics, which IS one of the lasting things you will get out of college.</p>

<p>As to a cushion, it's true that when you don't do well in both schools, you're going to get penalized later on, but the rigors of Berkeley academics are well known, and you stand to have at least partial forgiveness for poor performance. But when you compare the two schools, the people that got into Berkeley got into the school for their high academic performance, which, while still true for SB, isn't generally of the same caliber. If you are confident that you can perform well in either school, by all means choose which school fits you best. There are more than just a couple stories of people that reject top tier UCs to go to SLO, and it's completely true because such people know they will succeed regardless of what academic environment they work in. Regardless of what school you go to, particularly in the UCs, the work put forth to get a top GPA isn't going to be easy, but you do stand to gain an advantage if the people around you are geared towards studying. While SB's reputation has been changing gradually, an observer's view of the school would suggest that this rigor isn't up to par with Berkeley's. If you aren't the person that will succeed in whatever environment you're in, being in a more competitive environment is much more liable to yield a strong GPA, and is definitely something to consider.</p>

<p>Of course, whatever anyone says in this forum means nothing if you have a dead set opinion towards one school or the other. If you're passionate about UCSB and see you and your academic career best managed there, then I agree with oxypunk and that would be the best place for your next 4 years. However, I would have to caution that, as much as a social life is important, academics is what most people (and assuming you as well since you got into Berkeley) go to college for. It doesn't necessarily trump social life, but it is a major part of the college experience. On a final note, as cliche as it may be, the college experience is what you make out of it. I know loads of people that went to Berkeley, and their experiences range from anything from crazy frat kid to introverted enginerd, with most people falling in between. Simultaneously, some people at SB don't necessarily go to a crazy party day in and day out. You'll be able to find a niche wherever you go, and it shouldn't be a top priority whether or not a school is on a whole more social than another.</p>

<p>I appreciate the posts a lot, and I have decided to go to Berkeley. This is not because every person has told me "no question, man go to Cal," but because I have taken many things into consideration and realized that no matter where I go it will be diffucult for me to be more social, even in UCSB. I feel I would fit in more with the people at Cal, and that is some thing very important. Worst comes to worst I can always transfer.</p>

<p>Jerome if you would like to become more social you need to make a good effort. Why not join several clubs, an intramural sport and/or a fraternity. In a big UC joining these types of activities will give you a smaller group to connect with and the bond of friendships. Good luck to you. :)</p>