URM- How much does it TRULY help?

<p>So I've been wondering this for a realllllly long time and I crave an answer...</p>

<p>Please, someone enlighten me. How much does being a URM (specifically, Hispanic/Latino) make a difference in college admissions? Does it depend upon the specific school?</p>

<p>It does depend on the school.</p>

<p>The URM category includes blacks, Native Americans and Hispanics. While all get a boost at many colleges, Hispanics get the smallest boost as there are a growing number of well qualified Hispanic candidates.</p>

<p>In states like CA, NY and FL, they may get little to no boost because colleges get so many highly qualified applicants from this demographic. In the deep South, the boost would be much greater.</p>

<p>dd,
It varies with the school, with your academic accomplishments, and with other factors such as SES, country of origin, etc. Please see this thread for some of my thoughts:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It helps a lot.</p>

<p>I know a kid whose GPA is 3.4, SAT: 1960, Rank: 45/360, unimpressive EC’s and no leadership</p>

<p>and he got into the Cornell Hospitality school (i.e. best in the country)</p>

<p>because he is technically part Native American.</p>

<p>^This is the Hispanic Students forum, generally speaking, college admissions is quite different for Hispanics than NA students.</p>

<p>It helps the colleges quite a bit. A lot of students will not apply to colleges that are not “diverse,” and in the highly competitive world of undergraduate admissions it’s good for schools to be able to say they have a certain number of students from different backgrounds, including ethnicity. In addition, a campus’s intellectual climate is enriched when it has URMs who can share a variety of experiences and viewpoints.</p>

<p>Cornell School of Hotel Mgmt is not that hard to get into. His stats are in line for that school.</p>