US citizen abroad with an unfortunate GPA situation [<3.0, 35 ACT, 1540 SAT]. Is UW for Biology/Biochem out of reach? Updated GPA as 8/15 of 3.5

I suspect that one or both of UW Bothell and UW Tacoma will come through, as both have an 88% acceptance rate. With OP’s strong test scores, I’d be pretty surprised if she doesn’t get an admit to one of them.

According to the College Board’s website,at UW-Tacoma, only 23% of first-year students live on campus and only 9% at UW-Bothell do so. That would likely be a very different experience than what is often depicted in shows about “college life.” As you’re open to the community college route, a residential college experience may not be that important to you. But if it is, you may want to consider additional schools.

Do you have a preference between the big state schools and the smaller schools on your list (Bothell, Seattle U, Puget Sound, etc?) Perhaps talk with your family to see what qualities they are looking for in order to find sufficient value for them to pay for a school?

Overall I’d prefer a big state school to a smaller school, but with regard to location; for example if the choice was between a state school and a smaller private school both in the Northwest, I’d obviously go for the state school, but if it were between a smaller northwest school and a state school in, say, the South or elsewhere, I’d choose the former over the latter. My parents’ opinion mostly matches my own, with the added factor that proximity to a big city (specifically Seattle) matters a lot.

As for the “college life” issue, I’d say I’m pretty open to different residential options. I would prefer to live on campus but honestly it isn’t that much of a concern as the surrounding area of the school itself.

2 Likes

Are you open to LACs? If so, there are likely some that would want someone with your life experience to help add “diversity of background” to their campus. You are a dual citizen who’s spent a fair bit of time on the other side of the Pacific – that’s compelling, I think.

The 35 tells them that you’ve learned enough to likely be able to handle college coursework. Maybe explain the 3.0 the way you explained it to us – you don’t speak Chinese, and most of your classes were taught in Chinese. That would be tough. I think I would be going out of my mind – how would you take notes, if you can’t comprehend what the teacher is saying? I’d be pulling out my hair out of frustration. hehe

If you want a small-school experience, it may be open to you. Research LACs in the region(s) and environment(s) you prefer, that offer majors you want, and if some interest you, run the NPC on each one to have a fair approximation of affordability.

Definitely do look at ASU. You might also add the U of Arizona, as @tsbna44 mentioned. Both are fine schools, but they are big. If you want something smaller, I suggest looking into liberal arts colleges.

1 Like

They have U of Puget Sound on the initial list…it’s I think the only LAC.

Perhaps there for location? So I noted other PNW liberal arts schools earlier and there’s more than I mentioned others might bring out.

But not sure if there’s a true interest in these.

Based on another comment from OP, it seems there’s the overseas desire for “pedigree” to justify cost - although perhaps I have that wrong.

1 Like

Perhaps @shawk, @JBSeattle, or @bethy1 can comment about how residential UW-Bothell or UW-Tacoma are, as perhaps they feel like residential campuses more than the percentages listed by the College Board indicate.

2 Likes

These match their common data set section F1, which is presumably the primary source.

1 Like

Yeah - neither is the full “college experience”. I’ve been to both. Tacoma is a great city though. But you go there because you can’t go to Seattle, especially Bothell.

That’s not what the parents / OP are looking for I’d assume.

If they want Seattle-ish, they should check out W Washington and WASU is an R1 research school - would be a great choice. Harvard is R1 too :slight_smile: They’re family…sort of !!!

2 Likes

OP said she needs FA. If OP needs money, it is less likely to come from the big public flagships.

You won public speaking and writing awards? Were you speaking and writing Mandarin?

This EC stands out as different from the others you listed. How did you find this opportunity? Is the paper in English or Mandarin?

2 Likes

Hence the Idaho, Montana / St, WASU, Wyoming types would be great.

I think she said this though - I think about ASU, UW (not happening I don’t think) Oregon, CU

“those three public schools are the ones my parents are most willing to pay for (according to them), given rank and prestige”

I assume they can afford them if admitted but don’t know for sure.

All of my awards were for English speaking and writing, as well as the research paper. I was given the opportunity by one of my father’s coworkers, a university professor, who needed a co-author fluent in English.

3 Likes

If you haven’t already look at the Common Data Set for each of the schools you are considering. You can just do a search on “Common Data Set” and the name of the school. Check and see how much emphasis they place on the SAT and ACT since you have great scores there.

I just checked Oregon and UW Seattle. (<–Those are links to the Common Data Set pages.)

Oregon will consider your ACT and SAT but UW Seattle does not consider it, so chances are slim there. This data is in section C of the Common Data Set. In the Common Data Set there are 4 levels of importance: “Very important”, “Important”, “Considered”, and “Not Considered”. Oregon has standardized test scores as “considered” and UW has them as “not considered”. Ideally you can find a school where they are “very important” or “important” since that is a real strength in your record, but “considered” is a lot better bet than “not considered”. I think you have a shot at U Oregon especially if you write a compelling essay. You have a good story and are obviously very smart.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have to admit that Puget Sound is mostly there for location, although I’m perfectly fine with LACs so I’m definitely going to put more on my list.

Agreed that public schools are going to be far less friendly when it comes to fin aid, although my parents just recently told me that they’ll only be looking at cost when it comes to final decisions and for now want me to focus on getting into the best/most suitable school I can.

Just took a quick look at the data set, thank you for the info! I’ve known beforehand that UW doesn’t consider test scores (still clinging onto a sliver of hope that I’ll somehow squeak in though), but it’s nice to see that there’s a range of schools where my scores will help me a lot. U Oregon in particular is very reassuring.

2 Likes

So, what happens if you get accepted into your top choice school and then it turns out to be too expensive?

1 Like

Is there a way that you will have in-state residency for Washington, or is that just the preferred location? Trying to figure out if you would get residency there or possibly have WUE benefits.

1 Like

That’s a question I’ve been trying to get my parents to answer… to no avail. They’re overly optimistic about fin aid/scholarships, while I’m overly pessimistic about getting into my top choices, so it’s a topic that hasn’t been brought up in a while.

Nope, sadly I’ve tried and can’t find any possibility of qualifying for residency. No relatives or anything. It’s all about preferred location.

I’m actually an in-state for Texas, but I’m not too keen on going anywhere near there.

Do you have any sense of what the budget might be? For instance, assuming the bilingual school you attended was private, would the tuition be similar to what a U.S. college might be?

Also, is the preferred location because of the number of direct flights to Taiwan? Or it’s just a city that you like?

Just took a quick look at some old receipts and yes, the tuition for my bilingual school was a pretty hefty sum, I’d say on par with or at least close to the average U.S. college tuition.

Both, but largely because it’s a city my parents “know and trust” as a safe location.