USC Bovard Scholars

You guys, don’t forget that application is due on January 17, 2020 and good luck!

If possible can you please look through my essays and give me feedback before I submit them? Thank you!

I just got an email from them yesterday about it! I’m so stressed bc it’s due next week and I have exams at the same time. But can someone look over my essays please?

I am honestly very anxious to know if I am going to be able to make it to the program… does anyone have any feedback on how it was and things that I should include?

Hi guys! I was a part of the 2019 cohort. If anyone has any questions about the program and its application, you can contact me through instagram. My username is evelyn.marquez

I just turned in my application and I don’t feel that I included what they needed. Does anyone know what they mainly look for in applicants?

Hi everyone I just turned in my application today, and I was hoping to see if anyone can tell me my chances of getting accepted as these sort of thing make me very anxious.
-3.89 unweighted GPA
-4 AP classes throughout high school
-Honors student
-Low income
-Member of 3 clubs
-part of 2 volunteer organization
-School leadership class
-decent essays (according to a few of my peers)

I didn’t add a video or anything like that. What are my chances of getting in? Usually what percentage of applicants get in? I’m new with this so I would appreciate if you answered. Thank you ?

To add on I don’t know how much it matters I had an SAT score of 1160.

hey guys!! i applied for USC bovard too! really hope i get in. ahh i can’t wait until mid march haha! @ltzAl08, do you live in california? my psat score is really low too, but i have extracurriculars, good essays, and a high gpa. it seems like you have a lot of potential too :slight_smile:

Oh @user_390622 yeah I actually live like 20 minutes away from USC. I really hope I get in, can’t wait for March.

This wait is going to kill me ahhhhhhh. I wish everyone goodluck, we are in the waiting game now lol.

Good luck to everyone. I applied on 1/14.

Dang I’m anxiously waiting for mid March, I’m probably not going to get in though. :slightly_frowning_face:

i didnt get an email! did they release everyone?

everyone: i called them and they said theyre releasing in batches between today and friday. no need to panic :slight_smile:

Congratulations to everyone who has already received, or will be receiving, an acceptance email. As for me, waitlisted. I’m curious to see how many other people in this thread are getting waitlisted, so as to get a picture of how big the list is.

@Ischpmnk im sorry… the silver lining is that you weren’t denied. I also dont think everyone who gets accepted actually goes so thats another silver lining :slight_smile: im curious: how confident were you about your application in terms of gpa, test scores, essays, extracurriculars?

I applied too but haven’t gotten an email back yet.

@hhadill I was feeling pretty good about my application, overall, actually. I think I wrote pretty good essays, and I have good grades/PSAT/extracurriculars/etc. One blunder I feel that I did make in hindsight, however, was referring to myself as “lower-middle class” in one of my essays, when my family income is probably more like “lower” than “lower-middle.” That aside, I think there’s a decent chance that they would prioritize spots for 1st generation & nonwhite students over me (white kid whose mom has a bachelor’s degree), considering the statistics on the Bovard website.

I would still certainly like to become a Bovard Scholar and whatnot, but it’s not the end of the world for me if spots don’t open up. The experience of filling out the application was incredibly helpful on its own, since it’s probably really similar to actual college applications.

Any potential future applicants reading this thread and wondering whether to apply or not–definitely go for it, even if you doubt you will get accepted.

Does anyone know the acceptance rate of this program? My SAT and PSAT scores were on the lower side, but my grades and extracurriculars were good. I don’t know how this will turn out.