***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

Hey is anybody else’s financial aid page asks you to choose the school year?

@will787 how international lmao you got your letter a little early!!
Congrats though for sure!!!

yes

@KanyeStan111 UCLA actually has a cap on the number of OOS students it can admit, so it might be harder to get into UCLA as an OOS student than USC. USC does not have a cap on OOS students, since it’s a private school.
(A note about acceptance rates: USC had like 56,000 applicants this year, while UCLA had 102,000, so percentages may be misleading!)

@CADREAMIN haha no problem. I am home, sitting by the window, staring at my mailbox.

@KanyeStan111 I would say depends on you are. If you are California citizen, you have a much higher chance to get into UCLA. But for USC, I feel like that they are much more welcomed international student than UCLA. (Above just my personal opinions) BTW, I am an international student as well. USC is my dream school :slight_smile: I am keeping up with the threads all the time… but feel a little bit sacred to actually write something…

How can you find the mail time zone? I live in Oregon and am curious as to when my letter might come.

@Marry9898 I wish you the best of luck!!! Believe in yourself!!!

My financial aid page is asking me to choose a school year. Does that mean anything?

Decision: Accepted

Merit Scholarship, if received: N/A

School/Major: USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences/Philosophy

Objective:

[ul]
[]ACT: 32C, 35E, 35M, 33R, 26S, 27W (34 SS)
[
]SAT II: US History (760)
[]Unweighted GPA: 3.94
[
]Unweighted GPA (updated w/1st semester data): 3.95
[]Weighted GPA: 4.22
[
]Weighted GPA (updated w/1st semester data): 4.33
[]Capped UCGPA: 4.27
[
]Capped GPA (updated w/1st semester data): 4.21
[]Uncapped UCGPA: 4.36
[
]Uncapped GPA (updated w/1st semester data): 4.50
[]Rank: 11/522 unweighted, 17/522 weighted
[
]Rank (updated w/1st semester data): 8/522 unweighted, 11/522 weighted
[]AP: European History (4), US History (5), Psychology (5), English Language (5)
[
]Senior Year Course Load: AP Calculus AB, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art 2D, AP Spanish Language, AP Macroeconomics, AP Government, AP English Literature
[li]Major Awards: AP Scholar with Honor[/li][/ul]

Subjective:

• []Extracurriculars: JV Soccer (Captain), Club Soccer, Youth & Government, NHS
    [
    ]Job/Work Experience: Math Tutor, Babysitter
    []Volunteer/Community Service: Take care of my 4 younger brothers and 1 younger sister (pickup from school, take to appointments, feed snacks, help with homework)
    [
    ]Summer Activities: Student Research Intern performing breast and colorectal cancer research at major research university
    []Essays: 9/10
    [
    ]Teacher Rec #1: 9/10
    []Teacher Rec #2: 7/10
    [
    ]Counselor Rec: 9/10
    []Additional Rec: 10/10
    [
    ]Interview: N/A

Other:

[ul]
[]State: California
[
]Country: N/A
[]School Type: Public
[
]Ethnicity: White
[]Gender: Female
[
]Income Bracket: $150k
[li]Hooks: N/A[/li][/ul]

Reflection:

[ul]
[]Strengths: GPA, test scores, essays, letters of recommendations
[
]Weaknesses: My volunteer and community service work is virtually non-existent due to family obligations, and my decision to not take a 4th year science to double up on math might be detrimental.
[]Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: High class rank, essays, recs, class rigor, test scores
[
]Where else you are applying or have already applied:

[list]
[li]Accepted - Davis, Michigan, Minnesota (Honors), Oregon (Honors), Pitt (Honors), Texas, Tulane (Honors), UCSB (Honors), UCSC, UCSD, USC, Washington, Wisconsin, WUSTL[/li][li]Applied - Berkeley, Vanderbilt[/li][li]Waitlisted - UCLA[/li][li]Rejected - N/A[/li][/ul]
[li]General Comments/Advice/Hindsight: Stay positive and be yourself![/li][/list]

@lunnnaaaa no

@MyAcceptances Congratulations!!!

@mintchipmagic I don’t understand what you mean when you write, “percentages may be misleading.” Can you please explain?

I think they meant if more people apply, the amount of people they accept is still gonna be the same so the acceptance rate will be lower. If not a lot of people apply to the school (mainly because it’s private or something like that) the acceptance rate will be higher but if could still be a selective school. Idk, I know nothing but I think that might be it

My S got in!! We live in LA, 90064. Got the mail around 11:30 am.

Does anyone know if any type of merit scholarship money would be mentioned (those that did not require an interview)? Or would that possibly come later?

Thanks and good luck to all!

@s0meUSCkid95 that’s just bad phrasing on my part. I just meant that percentages don’t tell the whole story.

edit: @AJRY808 basically said what i meant to say but was unable to actually formulate in a sentence LOL. thanks!

congrats!!

I just got in!! I live in Irvine and just got the package through priority mail. It came in a pretty thick package!

Super surprised because I thought I’d never get in! I’m more surprised about how I got in LOL

ACT: 30

GPA: 3.6 (our school has a weird system, on a normal public school system it should be about 3.85)

Thanks @mintchipmagic
UCLA admitted more students than USC and has a higher admission rate than USC, so either way one slices it, admission offers are rarer to USC than UCLA. But yes, there may indeed be variable rates depending on where one lives.

@MTNest2017 Congratulations on his accomplishment! That is so exciting! And I think it was @CADREAMIN that explained, in an earlier post, that financial aid packets usually roll around 2 weeks after receiving decisions, which, to my understanding, would consist of any remaining scholarships.