***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

West Los Angeles here. Received acceptance package to Thornton School of Music this afternoon. (3/24)

Norcal, all west coast, southwest, and many parts of the country will get packages tomorrow - this includes major urban areas across the US - Chicago, St. Louis, NYC, Philly - the biggies up and down the east coast, Minneapolis, and Colorado, Texas, AZ, etc., a lot of FLA gets it in 2 days as well. The three days are those outside of urban centers and you usually know if you mail is slower. Also sometimes one person gets it in NYC in 2, but another may get it in 3. I know, it’s pure torture.

But the portal updates Saturday night after midnight (Sunday morning) so if you don’t get it tomorrow, you will know tomorrow night.

Will Boston suburbs be tomorrow?

@AJRY808 You should be tomorrow depending if they have to stop at several rocks after they stop at the first rock, to get to your rock.

@mimimo7890 Yes, I knew I was missing another biggie, Boston should be tomorrow, but there is always someone on the east coast majors that don’t get it till day 3 (which in this case is day 4 cause of Sunday), don’t know why. For people across the country that should get it tomorrow, if you don’t, know you can check portal before giving up all hope.

Thank you! Praying a lot!

Info for Trustee/Presidential finalists who haven’t received scholarship decisions yet:

Admissions said they will be updating portals through next Tuesday, including this weekend.

@filmstudent2 congratulations - very happy for you! @WWWard and congrats to your daughter for Rice. I’ve been out for a few hours and see I’ve missed 186 posts LOL so congrats to anyone who heard they were admitted! I’m in NorCal, nothing in our mail today, assuming they won’t be arriving til tomorrow but haven’t read through all the new posts yet to see if anyone in NorCal got notice today. Will do so now, so no one needs to answer me on that or Chug @CADREAMIN :slight_smile:

Edited to add: ok I made it through all the posts and I see no Norcal today, as expected. Carry on (and Fight on!)

Has anyone gotten into Viterbi yet?

what does a rejection letter look like? does it come in a big but thin envelope (business letter)?

@will787 congratulations!! I didn’t receive anything so I’m assuming that I got rejected/waitlisted… :frowning:

Waiting in AZ too…

@wherewillibe2021 rejections are supposed to come in a regular thin business-size envelope - rectangular. They are sent regular mail, not priority like acceptances, so there’s a chance they come a day or so later than acceptances. Chug.

@CADREAMIN my rock is the main rock, so hopefully we get the packages first :stuck_out_tongue: Thank you! :slight_smile:

Posted my acceptance earlier but here’s the whole thing:

Decision: Accepted

**Date applied: **November 21, 2016

Date decision postmarked/received: March 24, 2017

Which school/major at USC: Marshall - Business Administration (admitted for second choice, first was Viterbi)

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1320 (690 Math, 630 Reading + Writing)
ACT (breakdown): Not taken
SAT II (place score in parentheses): Not submitted
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.69
Weighted GPA: 4.1
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 58/670
AP (place score in parentheses): Human Geography (4), Euro Hist (3), US Hist (3)
IB (place score in parentheses): Not in IB
Senior Year Course Load: AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP French Lang, AP Calc AB, Eng 12, Civics/Econ
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):None

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parentheses): French Club (president, treasurer), French Honor Society, GSA, CSF, Rho Kappa
Job/Work Experience: Childcare Worker (3 years), TJ Maxx (1 year)
Volunteer/Community Service: CS
Summer Activities: None
Essays (rating 1-10, details): I’d say a 9 at least. I strongly believe my essays and recs got me in, they were genuine. Wrote about hardships and how being LGBT has affected my life. Wrote leadership essay about being president of French Club.
Teacher Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): French teacher (10), Physics teacher (9), APUSH teacher (8-9), had a very strong relationship with all of my teachers.
Counselor Rec (rating 1-10, details):: 10, counselor wrote about my hardships and my overall success.
Additional Rec (rating 1-10, details)::
Interview: None

Other
Applied for Financial Aid? Yes
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: Hispanic/Latino
Income Bracket: $20,000-$40,000
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, LGBT, first generation, no father

Reflection
Strengths: Essays, extracurricular were not very many but very involved/passionate about, recommendations
Weaknesses: GPA, SAT
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: definitely my essays and recommendations
Where else you are applying or have already applied: UCI (rejected lol), UCLA (rejected), UCB (waiting), Cal Poly SLO (accepted), SJSU (accept), CSUF (accepted), NYU (waiting), U Mich (waiting), Purdue (accepted)
General Comments/Advice/Hindsight: Make your essays as genuine as you can, show you are also a good person outside of the classroom. Build close relationships with teachers that you like talking to, they can be great mentors and are there to support you. I wish you all luck who are still waiting for your decisions! :slight_smile: Fight On!

@copico4 I also live in the Irvine area, but haven’t gotten anything. Did you get your package recently? If I haven’t heard back by now, does this mean I didn’t get in?

I got in!! I also named USC as my first choice as a national merit finalist, but does that mean that I am automatically accepted for the half tuition scholarship? It would be a real clincher on my decision to go! :'D

*also should mention that I received a letter back in January that I didn’t make it into the consideration of their “top” rewards…that doesn’t include national merit scholarship, does it?

The denial letter (not fan of rejection) is just a copy of the letter that eventual posts to your portal if you are not admitted. It is sent in a standard letter envelope, just a single piece of regular paper. They may catch up with the packages tomorrow. Two day delivery areas tend to get both acceptances and (rejections) denials in their zone. Socal will also get the denials.

@hopefulfilmstudent Yes, my daughter did. Engineering - undeclared, spring semester.

Nobody chug me because you guys know how long I’ve been on this thread lol but do we know exactly what time the portal will update this weekend? I want to register for admitted student stuff.