***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

@roonilwazlib100 my daughter also applied for Cog Sci first choice, Psych as alternate. We’re in SF Bay Area though - nothing yet. Hope you get some good news.

Literally though… still very confused at being accepted spring

But most of the top students at my school have awesome EC … I played football for 4 years, captain my senior year, founder of a club, VP of another club, many volunteer hours … and the other students have done even more than me. I wonder if we still have a chance for tomorrow … @mimimo7890

i live in michigan…the decision is not showing on my portal.

@Eeeee127 portals will not be updated for anyone until after midnight Saturday night, i.e. very early Sunday morning. USC likes to mail their decisions the old-fashioned way and hopes most people will receive the package or letter by Saturday. Acceptances are priority mail thin boxes. Rejections are a thin business-sized envelope and sent via regular mail so could take a day or so longer. Chug.

so rejections will most likely not be delivered today?

@s0meUSCkid95 My son’s (top private) HS consistently gets more kids accepted at USC than UCLA. I’ve heard that UCLA (& Cal) cap acceptances from each school. So, you may have a better chance at USC afterall if UCLA is only going to take 3 or 4 from your school. Other variables that may affect you one way or another – is legacy (big plus at USC, not considered at UCLA); In state – HURTS you at UCLA (18% CA accept rate vs 22% OOS accept rate v. 14% foreign); & more holistic review at USC (I’m sorry, but UCLA’s claim that they review all 102,000 apps (2x!) is not factually accurate – they hire/outsource the essays to AP Eng teachers, faculty at other colleges, etc & PAY them $4 per app to read them. Not sure what the “training” or “rubric” is on these, but I can’t believe they are internally consistent to a reliable degree). Plus, USC requires more essays & personal short answer questions than UCLA, so I think that USC is more holistic in that you are actually considered by committee & not by contract workers.

@carreraj106 @jewishmother Hey there. Good luck to you all. My cousin was a Spring admit last year. It’s most likely because USC doesn’t employ any kind of waitlist … and they do have enough students who graduate in the fall that they can admit new students in the spring. Anyway, my cousin went to Switzerland to study last fall (through a USC affiliate school) and then joined USC in January. It’s not for everyone. But he is VERY HAPPY! It worked out great for him. They have some amazing overseas options for the fall.

@giriboy You can go to a community college but not a four year college. http://admission.usc.edu/firstyear/admittedspring/springadmits.html

@socal411 you got in and that’s fantastic! You can take classes at a community college during fall semester or just take the semester off. But getting in is what matters. Congrats!

@giriboy Hey there. My cousin was a Spring admit last year. He went to Switzerland to study last fall (through a USC affiliate school) and then joined USC in January. It’s not for everyone. But he is VERY HAPPY! It worked out great for him. They have some amazing overseas options for the fall … and he met a bunch of other USC students studying in Switzerland so he had friends when he officially entered in the spring.

@choiboi12 I wish all schools would release rejections before acceptances and wait lists. Kinder to let people move on and not sit here waiting for nothing.

I’m just over here trying to figure out how big an impact my favorite snack had on my decision

Accepted for Price school of Public Policy in 90266 (15 mi from USC). I’m at a school overnight and have to say the photo of the package has made my night. Good luck to those waiting and congrats to those who have gotten the box. Fight on!

@ORRZ40 Yes, this is pretty sadistic. I got accepted in February … really lucky … so I feel for everyone still waiting.

My mom got mad at me for listing garlic bread as my favorite snack because “it’s a meal” uh no spaghetti with garlic bread is a meal, garlic bread solo is a definitive snack

@Chips99 I’m just over here trying to figure out how big an impact my favorite snack had on my decision

Based on your handle & pic, I’d say if you put plain Lay’s, you are a classic traditionalist :slight_smile: My son put Takis, so if gets rejected, we’ll know that’s why…(vile, nasty, disgusting snack!)

@Emsmom1 You can go to a four year college but you just can’t enroll as a degree seeking student.

Any slight possibility packages will arrive to Austin, Tx tomorrow?

what did everyone say for the quick takes (if you remember that was so long ago lol)? I’m interested in hearing what y’all put!!!