***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

Decision: Accepted

**Date applied: ** November 30, 2016

Date decision postmarked/received: March 24, 2017

Which school/major at USC: USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences/Biological Sciences

Scholarships: N/A

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2110; 670 CR, 700 W, 740 M
ACT (breakdown): N/A
SAT II (place score in parentheses): Math II (670), U.S History (670), Chinese w/ Listening (800)
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.92
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 4/437
AP (place score in parentheses): World History (5), Calculus AB (4), U.S History (5), Chemistry (2), English Language (5)
IB (place score in parentheses):
Senior Year Course Load: AP Calc BC, AP Lit, AP U.S Gov, AP Studio Art 2D, AP Art History, AP Psych
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar with Honor

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parentheses): Link Crew (leader), Key Club, CSF
Job/Work Experience: N/A
Volunteer/Community Service: I volunteer as a math tutor (3 years), volunteered at a library, community service in clubs, volunteered for 2 years for Rose Parade
Summer Activities: Teen volunteer at local library
Essays (rating 1-10, details):: 7/10; I hate to admit it, but I did them last minute (literally on the last day). They still turned out pretty decent and I’m sure my passion for my major was well reflected.
Teacher Recommendations (rating 1-10, details)::

1. 10/10; it was from my favorite history teacher who previously worked with college admissions so he’s very good at writing recommendations.
  2. 9/10; one of the top students in this teacher’s class and it was well reflected in the recommendation.
    Counselor Rec (rating 1-10, details):: 5/10, I don’t know her at all. She even did it last minute when I gave her at least 3 weeks.
    Additional Rec (rating 1-10, details):: N/A
    Interview: N/A

Other
Applied for Financial Aid? Yes
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: Chinese-American
Income Bracket: < $30K
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): First-generation, low-income, from a minority-majority suburb.

Reflection
Strengths: GPA, letters of recommendation
Weaknesses: Hardly any ECs. Got a 2 on AP Chem.
Why you think you were accepted: Class ranking, first-gen, from a low-income public school
Where else you are applying or have already applied: Waiting on Berkeley. Accepted to UCLA, USC, UCSD (Chancellor’s Scholarship), UCSB (Honors), UCI.
General Comments/Advice/Hindsight: Very surprised I was accepted as I applied with the mindset that I was going to be rejected. I don’t think I’m attending if the financial aid package is not enough, as UCSD has offered a very generous scholarship to me already. Congrats to all who got in!

C’mon USC rooting for u @Chips99 !

@RainyLondon Not trying to start anything, but I don’t understand why you’re salty since you’ve suposedly been accepted to top schools in America. And what’s wrong with accepting students with high test scores? Are you implying that since Asians will not become leaders of US companies they don’t deserve to be admitted? I think that you should also consider that since Caucasians (who are of European descent) are the majority at USC (and all schools in America), maybe the school focuses on international students of other nations to balance out everything. A lot of people here on this thread have not been accepted yet remain supportive of those who are accepted. Please consider the factors of your person and don’t try to find flaws within the admissions office. Go to Harvard of Princeton to be a great leader of America.

Someone please remove her from this thread if it is at all possible, lol.

Y’all let’s have some positive vibes and not fight over petty things. This is a stressful and exciting time so let’s all just wait a little longer and then move on with our lives :slight_smile:

@RainyLondon lol you clearly don’t know how the college system (accepting people of different races and opportunities) in America… Once again, please just go to Harvard of Princeton!! Still don’t understand why you would be salty about not getting into USC if you got into H and P

S was accepted to Marshall as a Spring Admit, Business Administration major.

EDIT: We live 2 hours east of LA near Palm Springs

Stats:
GPA: 3.99 UW 4.50 W
ACT: 30
SAT I: Didn’t take
SAT II: Math II: 680 US History: 680
Course Rigor: 9 AP’s by graduation including 5 senior year
Rec’s: Assume strong as he goes to a small school and is well known and liked by faculty
EC’s: Very strong including leadership positions
Sports: Varsity all 4 years in multiple sports, but won’t be playing intercollegiate sports
Other acceptances: UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UCSC, Cal Poly SLO, University of Oregon (Honors & Merit), Lake Forest College (Merit)
Waitlist: WUSTL, William and Mary
Still waiting: UCB, Penn

@Eeeee127 my understanding is that USC likes people to have the “surprise at the mailbox” moment rather than just seeing it on their phone or computer, so that is the reason they do it this way.

I’m out of state, nj applied to neuroscience when should we accept a rejection or acceptance letter

From where?

Or will the portal come first

Where are you from?

Son admitted as spring admit. Stats posted previously. We are located 2 hours east of LA near Palm Springs in a 1 day USPS postal zone. So for us the USPS postal service estimated delivery time was accurate.

Hey just to address your concerns:

a) yes there should be equality
b) race doesn’t mean nothing, at least not in the US, and for a variety of reasons. But one of them pertains to another statement you made. Life experience does mean something, and your race can affect your life experience.
c) You’re making these comments directed towards the USC admissions office in a thread that’s mostly made up of high schoolers and parents. We aren’t really gonna be able to do anything. If you have serious concerns, then you should probably not comment on a blog feed and email or call the admissions office.

@RainyLondon ^^

@RainyLondon My one and only comment: USC admissions officers are in the U.S., approaching this as a U.S. school. Maybe they do understand Europe schooling or life standards or however you mean it, but choose to stick to their values. You may not like that as a European applicant, but you are applying to schools in the U.S. and must deal with it.

DD received her admission today. We are in Los Angeles. Fall Admits, Bioengineering.

What the heck happened to our supportive thread? All I did was go have dinner. :slight_smile:

This is a thread to discuss results for this year, not to ponder methodology or politics - please move that conversation elsewhere, you are free to start a new thread elsewhere.

Do you mind posting her stats since there are very few stats from people that are getting into Engineering?

I haven’t seen any people admitted under the Trojan Transfer Plan today, or just not posted here. hmmmmmm…