***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

My son auditioned on Sun 1/22 and just got the same email tonight from Thornton admissions - being considered for admission, merit scholarship, and merit from Thornton. Nothing has come in the mailbox yet. Nothing new is in the portal. I am guessing that if he does not get interview request from USC admissions, it may mean Dean’s plus maybe some merit money from Thornton.

He had to interview with Thornton as part of his music audition. Will update if / when he gets a packet.

All Thornton music majors require audition & many required prescreens first to be invited to audition… Scholarship auditions were 1/21 and 1/22.

wordpress logout notice. the fun has begun

I’m an international student from China. Got the mailbox today. However, there isn’t any notification for scholarship in the box. Is that considered Dean’s? Or does it mean that I have got no scholarship at all?

@EmilyMo Dean’s

Congrats Emily! what major?

Anyone in Pennsylvania hear anything?

@Pingydpong Thx! Communication in Annenberg

@EmilyMo care to share your stats on the results page please. and this is for everyone!

here: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-southern-california/1957315-usc-class-of-2021-results-only.html

no portal updates as of now. will the portal be updated for only those who will receive the scholarships or will it also update today for others too?

Everyone. But it may not be between 12-1am PST, that is just what it has been in the past, so it is a guess based on that.

Considering the rest of the week has been near-identical to past years, I assume this will also be similar in that the same release date will be used. Currently feeling sick, waiting…

yeah we all are waiting. portal status as of now is same. 12 am pst

been checking the portal religiously the past few hours, hopefully i along with everyone else doing this can get some sleep tonight and check in tomorrow. congrats to those admitted and best of luck to us all :slight_smile:

I will probably wait until approximately 1:15 AM PST before calling it quits. As you said, nothing has been updated yet.

Decision: Accepted

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): /
ACT (breakdown): 32
SAT II: Math II 790; Physics 730
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): None
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): /
AP (place score in parenthesis): Macro 5; Micro 5; Psych 4
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Senior Year Course Load: Chinese English Russian Bio Chem History [in Chinese Gaokao Track]
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): /

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Journalism experience; club regarding environmental protection; MUN club; student union
Job/Work Experience: Internship in entertainment company
Volunteer/Community service: Volunteer in 2 museums; in primary school; taught mentally challenged students
Summer Activities: Summer school; MUN
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 6-7?7-8?
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): 6-7??? Not sure

Teacher Rec #1: Russian [8, prob bc of she’s a PHD]
Teacher Rec #2:Bio [6-7]
Counselor Rec: His [6-7]
Additional Rec:
Interview: InitialView

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
Intended Major:Communication/Journalism
State (if domestic applicant):
Country (if international applicant): China
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: Asian
Income Bracket:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Reflection

Strengths: Journalism experience, internship experience, proficiency in 3 langs
Weaknesses: weak awards
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: enthusiasm in media industry
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: accepted: UIUC, UW-Madison; Deferred: NU

General Comments: Good luck everyone! Show ur passion!

@OrthodoxParadox i am with you bro. till 1:15

@CADREAMIN how do you know that last year it was between 12 and 1

Good luck to you! If USC doesn’t work out, what are your other top choices? I received my first ever C after an extremely difficult semester so I think this is my only shot at acceptance since mid-year reports aren’t included. Hopefully being a NMSF helps as some people with this award seemed to be getting accepted. Anyway, my other top choices are ASU and TAMU for CS.