***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

I was looking at the forum from last year and it looks like everyone who was accepted got their portal updated first, then a period of silence, then the deferrals

My portal updated later than many who were admitted, but it changed a little while ago. I’m so happy. I didn’t get a box in the mail. No letter in mail (just on portal). No mention of scholarships at all. Hopefully, it still means I got Dean’s…???

My basic stats:

SAT: 2220 (800 CR; 670 M; 750 W)
GPA (UW): 3.95
Lots of extracurriculars, service, & work experience
Essays: I think strong
Recs: I think really strong
Hooks: None (no legacy, white male, middle class, nothing extraordinary)

I wish everyone the best. College admissions are a crapshoot. I got lucky.

Do you know what page that was on?

My offer doesn’t mention how much scholarship? What does that mean? Also congrats to all of you that got in!

@OrthodoxParadox here with u bro

International applicant here… no update…
The wait is killing me ahhh!!

Congrats to everyone who got in!!! :slight_smile:

Wait, guys it’s been literally 30 minutes since people have been getting their messages. I think we all have to calm down and rethink the dawning reality that we might not all know our decisions earlier in the game (Which is not bad!). Stop stressing! Good luck everyone!

@slightlymad We might as well celebrate. In fact, I think we are pretty lucky to be two of the last accepted students in one of the final waves. I’ll see you at USC next year bro.

Every minute that passes, my hope level decreases.

I am the mother of previous admits. I understand the torture so I share what I know hoping it helps. And I am up watching tennis. :slight_smile:

Hello! Does anyone know when international students will have any updates?

**Decision: Accepted **

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1430/1600; Reading & Writing (690), Math (740), Writing (17/24 yikes)
ACT (breakdown): 31; English (30), Math (34), Reading (32), Science (29), Writing (7/12 yikes x2)
SAT II: Didn’t send but got <700 for the 4 (Math 1, US History, Math 2, Lit) I took
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0 UW (4.7 W)
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1/557
AP (place score in parenthesis): WH (3), Lang (4), Env. Science (2), Calc AB (5), Psych (4), US History (3)
IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: 7 APs (Gov, Econ, Chem, Art History, Human Geo, Calc BC, Lit)
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): No major major ones, but I did get Department Awards in Algebra 2, Chem, and AP World

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
KIWIN’S Key Club (Club VP->Club President->District Chair '14-‘17)
Girls’ League (Co-Founder & President '15-17)
Red Cross (Membership Liaison '13-14)
NHS & CSF ('13-'17)
ASB Senate ('13-15)

Job/Work Experience:
Kumon Tutoring Center ('15-'16)

Volunteer/Community service:
My extracurriculars were my source of community service. I think I accumulated over 400 hours in the past 4 years, but I didn’t really mention this anywhere on my app (oops).

Summer Activities:
Science Week at UCI ('15)
Creative Marx Intern ('16)
Huntington Valley Healthcare Center Job Shadow ('16)

Essays (rating 1-10, details):
Common App: 6/10 idk; I liked it when I first wrote it, but when I debated it later, I didn’t know whether or not it was the right thing to write about. I wrote about how a experienced a “friendship breakup” (literally that wording) with my friend of 10 years (LOL I KNOW IT’S SILLY it was like “high school drama”). I changed my essay when I applied to other schools, but I guess this one ended up working out for USC! I was supppeeer vague though, so that’s why it’s a 6 for me.
Prompt 1: 8/10 I wrote about how I was also into videography and creating material. This was my favorite essay; it captures who I am and what I value.
Why USC: 7/10 I didn’t really talk about how I planned to pursue my major at USC specifically. I talked more about why I chose the major I chose. I think it was 2 paragraphs on my major and 1 paragraph on USC.

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):
I only read 1 recommendation, but here’s what I can assume-
Teacher Rec #1: 8/10; she’s my Girls’ League advisor and AP Lit teacher, good at writing, & I talk to her a lot
Teacher Rec #2: 7/10; the only one I read, it was kinda generic but had specific details on my participation
Counselor Rec: 6/10; not really close to her
Additional Rec: N/A
Interview: N/A

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Business Admin
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: Asian
Income Bracket: 150K-200K
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): lolz i wish

Strengths: ranked 1 at a large public school, extracurriculars, challenging courses, grades (all As)
Weaknesses: writing scores for all tests, portions of my essays were eh, a lot of activities/awards were for science but i chose business idk
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: I think my stats are pretty good (see strengths).
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Stanford: Rejected

Reflection/General Comments:
I’ve always been really bad at writing and articulating my thoughts, so I was afraid that my essays would hold me back during admissions. I’m going to be honest and say I should’ve spend A LOT more time than I did on my application and revised my essays more; I literally worked until 11PM on December 1st.
** I re-read my essays after filling this out, and I kinda like them now (not sure if biased now that I got in or not); it shows both a serious side of me as well as a carefree one. Anywho, good luck to all awaiting decisions & don’t doubt yourself too much!

I’m logging off guys. I’ve lost hope.

:frowning:

@Swiper902 same, maybe we’ll wake up to an update

@OrthodoxParadox I’m hoping good things happen for you!

@OrthodoxParadox see u at USC. but why next year? starts in fall i guess and have you been accepted now?

From last year at almost 5 am: “mine has not updated. my friends has & she sent me a screenshot. the one who got in didn’t get mail yet & neither have I”
Saying your out of the running is just melodrama right now

@abattey788 @slightlymad Sorry for not stating it was a joke. I was trying to be positive and pretend as if I knew I was going to be accepted in a joking manner and that I was just waiting on my acceptance (which hopefully is the case still, despite what time it is). Thanks for the wishes but I am still waiting, ensuring to skim as many articles on rejection as possible in preparation for the worst. Also, in my joke, I said next year as in next academic year.

already updated for international