***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

Portal and email at 7:30 am today EST – applied for SCA. Maybe the updates go by school?

Just called admissions and rep says the office is still working on updating portals and sending emails out

@methlabrador That must be it. My D applied to Dornsife. I will call shortly. Thanks.

Has anyone else that applied RD by the Dec 1 merit deadline not yet received an email today?

@swizzledrizzzay yeah.

@swizzledrizzzay Yes.

Deferred!

Numbers to remember…

96.25% of all those who applied by December 1st had their admission decision deferred until late March.

And 87% of those admitted in total are admitted in March. Only 13% of the total admissions occurred this week.

So… if you are among the deferred, you are in very good company :slight_smile:

Thanks@WWWard

@binky17 you’re welcome. Just trying to keep a positive spin on it…

**Decision: Accepted **

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): N/A
ACT (breakdown): 35
SAT II: Math II 800, Chem 770, can’t remember if I sent though
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.88
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
AP (place score in parenthesis): Chem (5), APUSH (5), Physics 1 (5), 2 (3)
IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: Calc BC, AP Psych, Physics C
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): NMSF, Girl Scout Gold Award

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
-Intensive leadership program
-Started a peer mentoring music program
-Band (2nd chair)
-Vars II Golf
-Yearbook/Newspaper

Job/Work Experience: Part time job as cashier, office assistant
Volunteer/Community service: Peer tutor, Care home volunteer
Summer Activities: College Chinese 202 class
Essays (rating 1-10, details): Eh alright (I love writing so they probably reflected that)
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): They enjoy me very much and I’m sure said nice things!

Teacher Rec #1: Did not see
Teacher Rec #2: Did not see
Counselor Rec: ??
Additional Rec:
Interview: N/A

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Environmental Engineering
State (if domestic applicant): HI
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Private
Ethnicity: Asian
Income Bracket: I think we’re in the top 1% (?)
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): N/A

Reflection

Strengths: ACT, EAs (?), recs
Weaknesses: Average GPA
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Stats? My sister is there and kicking ass so maybe they track her idk
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted to UMich, Mills; Deferred at MIT

General Comments: Finalist for full-tuition!!!

Thanks @WWWard. Our EFC is much higher than we can afford, so I am wary when schools say they meet their idea of 100% need. Even with probable NMF, USC is likely out of the running. Do you have a sense of when families will hear about FA?

@binky17 In 2014, my older daughter got her deferral letter on Jan 28th. She was admitted on March 28th, and then she received her FA Award notice on April 1st.

On my portal, It showed an application update. In that update, USC informed me that I had been accepted to DLAS and that I was still in the running for a full tuition scholarship. Does this restrict me only to Trustee scholarship, or could I still also receive Mork or Stamps? Thanks!

I received an acceptance letter on the admissions portal this morning, but I have not yet received the USC box. In the letter, it had no mention of scholarship considerations. Should that be a cause for concern? I thought an acceptance during this round would mean that I qualify for some merit scholarships…

Deferred :frowning: Kinda stinks to know I have no shot at a good merit scholarship before I even get accepted or rejected to the school!

is everyone getting decisions now? my S status just says we have all the information we need and will process thru March…

My D status changed to Deferred

@slightlymad Just had my portal updated around 10 minutes ago. Deferred as well, unfortunately…

Deferred too. Oh well, I’ll just cross my fingers for regular admission.