***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

@avisomani my son is going on 23/24

@Anamgol If your S received TE and NMF Presidential was he capped at full tuition + 8K? I don’t see the point of the extra 1K and 2K awards.

@Dolmite- Trustee scholars who are also NMF’s can receive the additional $1000/ year to pay for books bought at the USC bookstore,additional lab fees, meals charged to meal plans - basically ANYTHING that is charged to their USC bursors acct.
And no one receives BOTH the USC provided NMF $1000/ year AND the $2500 from NMC.
Students have to choose which NMF award to accept.

Is presidential schlor nomination big deal?

Is there a group me for accepted students?

@marg928 I will have my D check the portal, not sure about her status. But we did get a “save the date” card in the mail for the SDA Open House in April that was referenced later. Does that mean anything? or do they send that to all the BFA hopefuls. We laughed when we got it, like we still have to audition! My D also auditions in Chicago next week!

I got that too and I am also auditioning in Chicago next week! I heard that they send the save the date out to everyone, but in March, they send out actual invitations and everyone who gets one gets in, but not everyone who gets in gets the invitation either. I’m pretty sure the January one is just for those who applied so they’re aware of it far in advance.

@Dolemite On top of TE and NMF (1/2 tuition), my S received the $1000 National Merit scholarship and $2000/year University Scholarship. So, in essence, he received full tuition + $8K, plus additional $3K. All of these awards automatically reduces your total invoice (tuition, fees, housing, meal, student health fee, etc.). So, more money you get from USC, lower your total bill will be. Hope this clarify.

@menloparkmom My S only received $1000/year NM scholarship.

@Anamgol Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that there was a hard cap of full tuition + 8K but it looks like it can be more. Did you S receive any outside scholarships? My D has the possibility of some smaller ones.

@mdclassof2017 I don’t think there’s a groupme, but there is a trustee finalist thread. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-southern-california/1959364-usc-trustee-finalist-thread-class-of-2021-p1.html?new=1

@Dolemite I thought that there was a hard cap too, but USC generously gave my S another $2000/year University Scholarship, which is renewable for 4 years (must maintain 3.0 GPA, I think). He diid not get any outside scholarship but I would imagine that USC might not have given the University Scholarship had my S got any outside scholarship.

@kaf011 we got that card as well. It’s my niece’s wedding day of course! I still think we may make the trip to CA that week to see LMU and to shadow a student at CalArts.

@cj02523 Correct. My daughter is at SDA currently, and when she got the invitation (3 years ago), we of course then scoured CC at that time to see if it had meaning. It is in fact an early indication of admission. I have never heard of someone being invited to those SDA events and then not being admitted later. Good Luck…

Outside scholarships may replace USC grants or loans- that is IF you are found to need Financial aid and apply for it.
@Anamgol - what is TE?

https://■■■■■■■■■■■/join_group/28441935/I43XWC

Group me for USC 2021!

@menloparkmom TE is Tuition Exchange. A program with 600+ colleges involved so that children of employees can get tuition reimbursement benefit at more than just the college where the parent(s) work. USC is a member and where I work is a member. It can be a bit of a complicated process but it worked out in my case as due to my seniority my D17 received it from there and once accepted to USC they can approve or deny it and they approved it for her. It seems USC has more kids going to other schools than coming in most likely due to USC’s selectivity.

Do you guys know when does USC send out acceptance letters in March?

@CADREAMIN @WWWard I know I asked a version of this question, so forgive me but … generally speaking, is USC a lot more generous with need aid than, say, Michigan? I understand that USC meets its definition of need, but so far the EFC as determined by various schools is laughably incommensurate with our finances. Thank you.

@YuukiKurosu1999 In 2014, it was March 28th. It will likely be around the same time this year.

@binky17 I would suspect so… since USC is one of the universities claiming to meet 100% of demonstrated need. UM claims 86% of financial need met (average) per College Board. But the only way to really know is to compare offers on April 1st.

Thank you @WWWard