USC Class of 2024 Applicants Thread

This process is so much harder for folks going for these competitive programs. Hugs to everyone who gets it, and also to those who don’t. More will be accepted in March!

Could someone post the reddit link? I cannot find it for the life of me. Thank you!

@lkg4answers Congrats on the acceptance and thanks for being first to confirm they are out! Statsitically so few get these that it is not surprising few posts at this time and it would just be socal getting them today. And it is just 4pm here so kids just getting home and it is great if it is left for them to find. Tomorrow will be the onslaught of them. Of course, the million dollar question is do they specify the scholarship one is interviewing for or is it generic invite?

I hope your student had their moment when they saw the package!

This seems very quiet based on prior years and the number of SoCal packages that arrived the day after supposed mailing. Any thoughts @CalDreamin ?

So has it been established that everyone got the new dropdown menu options? I did not receive a financial aid email today, but had received one about a week or two ago? Do you know if that means anything?

They would never indicate in any way by a change to portal until the portals are updated, so no sense in over-analyzing anything there. They are too smart for that. :slight_smile:

And it won’t appear in USPS informed delivery, but who would want to find out that way anyway? Seeing the package as a surprise is the best!

This is 2020! I prefer electronic who has time for mail anymore ?

My S19 was anxiously waiting for an acceptance this time last year. But the reality is that only 2.75% of those who applied by 12/1 get the ‘white box’ this weekend. He was ultimately accepted in March. Thanks to the wise @WWWard and @CADREAMIN he was able to put things in perspective and not get too disappointed last January. So, relax, there are a bunch of you who don’t get the news you want this weekend will get good news in March.

@river65
Total get that. USC certainly has the ability to go digital for results but they choose this old school method because getting the fabulous well done package is like a 4 year old seeing all the presents under the tree on Christmas morning. For all of mine (4) getting the package remains one of their biggest and best memories. And watching it happen was huge for me too. But I also remember being the parent losing my mind on this site and frantically waiting for my kids to get home to check the mailbox. It’s brutal.

@CADREAMIN do you think that the boxes were mailed out yesterday - very quiet on here today for being the first day a box could have arrived. By this time last year many had posted. Very strange.

My kid finally arrived home and I was able to record the moment.

It does not state which scholarship. The exact wording is, “These include the Mork Family and Trustee full tuition scholarships, worth nearly $58,000 each year, and the Presidential half tuition scholarship, worth approximately $29,000 each year.”

It says that last year approximately 2/3 of the people who interviewed received either a half or full scholarship.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much @lkg4answers !!!

This is a big change for them, but makes alot of sense to me.

Birdie was spot on, thank you Birdie! It’s always nerve wracking to put stuff out here then hope it plays out as expected/communicated. Hate to be one of those people that are wrong on the internet, ha.

Whew!

@hcmom65 I do know they were sent yesterday. I just scrolled through pages and pages of last year’s thread and while it was a ton of chatter, there were very few posts of boxes received at this point in time. So I think it makes sense.

I also sense less traffic on here than years past in terms of amount of different posters. Once they updated this site, it got weird for awhile and I think it fell off people’s radar. Even slipped off mine for a few months. Then given how few packages there are, I’m not surprised…of 1100 the amount in socal is pretty small (based on how many come from California - maybe a couple hundred packages if that, with the rest in other parts of CA?) Just a guess. Then those people have to post here.

But should pick up steam later tonight and tomorrow. Are you waiting to hear this year again?

Those getting the packages will see their portals change in the next couple days (certainly by the time all portals update) to something like this:

FOR THOSE WHO GET SCHOLARSHIP PACKAGE, PORTAL WILL UPDATE TO THIS:
Admission
Admission Decision
Enrollment Commitment Deposit
Withdraw Your Application
Submit Documents
Financial Aid

Apply for Financial Aid
Financial Aid Summary & Tasks (FAST) page
On-Campus Admitted Student Programs

Explore USC
Preview USC
Admitted Student Day
Campus tours
Off-Campus Admitted Student Programs

Apply for Housing

FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT GET SCHOLARSHIP

If admitted the very first screen changes, if not, a letter appears under “check your application status.” This letter will be in your portal under Admission Decision, and will appear as a “Current Message”:

Do these stack? If you are a NMF, would you be able to get full-tuition merit with the presidential?

Also, not all of SoCal is within the 1 day priority delivery area from USC. Looking at the map posted above, most or all of San Diego is in the 2 day delivery area.

Packages have definitely been sent. Look on the subreddit ApplyingToCollege. One of the top posts has a bunch of pictures of the package.

They do not stack.

@College123321123…I saw the post on reddit as well…posted a couple of hours ago…got in to Marshall…understandably offered scholarship given that he/she had perfect ACT score & GPA and lives in SoCal so boxes have been mailed

can you please send the link of the subreddit