USC Class of 2024 Applicants Thread

I am curious to see how this will affect both acceptance rate and yield. Or if they will be affected at all.

How what affects acceptance rate and yield? Sorry not sure which post you were referring to:) @hopetc

oh, @mkendell I thought I hit reply on @2022soon’s post about applications having dropped this year.

When you hit “reply” - nothing is showing up to indicate that you are replying to a specific person. If you want people to know what you are answering to, hit “quote”.
“Reply” mean you are replying to the original post that started this thread. That would be 901 posts ago. Yes, it is a stupid system, but it its what it is. Just use the “quote” button.
Also, it is useful to check Preview before you post, so eliminate doubts.

My spouse and I happened to be on campus on Monday visiting our freshman son. We came across the Explore USC crowd. The excitement was palpable. And I did notice how dressed up many of the students were.

@lkg4answers - My son skateboards everywhere on campus. If you happened to see a guy in a suit (no tie) with a guitar on his back on Monday, chances are good it was my son!

@hopetc

I would think acceptance rates would go up a little, unless that take less kids. I think yield will be greater though because of the new financial aid announcement for students under 80 K. I wonder how they even plan for something like that.

Then add in the uncertainty all schools will have this year with the Coronavirus and students from China… should be an interesting year.

hi! what day do you think usc will release their decisions ?

@alexchar25 see post # 897 on the page before this one - @CADREAMIN said week of March 23rd.

@CADREAMIN or anyone else who might know I have a question about NMSC scholarship at USC. Is there any advantage to put USC as number 1 choice by March 1st deadline? Or is it a good idea to wait for acceptance.

@txmom19 I don’t see any down-side to doing it. You can change it whenever you want, and if USC is your top choice, then that is a tangible way to show them so. They know you can only put down one college before it gets sent out, and you chose USC.

If I want to give schools like USC updates related to receiving a new award etc., what is the best method for me to do that? Who would I email? Do you think they have already made decisions yet?

Still time to send info on an award! Send to your admissions rep - google USC find my counselor. If email isn’t provided you can simply call admissions to ask for it, or google around and see if it is somewhere else like on facebook, etc. Addresses there are formatted “name@usc.edu.” But they aren’t consistent in how “name” is defined. Could be first, last, or combination of the two, so it doesn’t follow a strict pattern.

You can also copy the general USC admissions email - or when you call ask if anyone else should get it as well.

Here ya go:
https://admission.usc.edu/find-your-counselor/

@CADREAMIN my D leads a band that was selected to play at Lincoln Center in May, she has many solos. At the time of applying she didn’t have this news. However she is an engineering major. Her ECs are largely focused on playing a couple instruments and being in multiple bands. Is this the type of thing worthy of an update email?

@west2east20

Your question wasn’t addressed to me but I definitely think that’s a significant achievement! I would update if I were her :slight_smile:
Congrats to her btw!

@west2east20 Sorry for delay - yes, send it in - always good to make contact, even this late to show your strong interest and achievements!

@CAtransplant I hate to even bring this up, but my birdie mentioned boxes may be going out earlier than week of 23rd. So maybe they’ll go out 19th…trying to get another confirmation of this. But it makes sense the would want them out that weekend, the next weekend is way later than they have done. Good news is in the past they have used Twitter/FB to announce that packages are on the truck. They need to put good news out there, so hopefully they do that again this year. If I hear more, of course I will post it! Mentally, plan for week of 23rd then anything earlier is great. So many results come out that last 10 days of March so it will be a flurry of a craziness , stress and fun, but an exciting time! Wish you the best!

ooh ok, thanks @CADREAMIN !

Oh goodness we are out of town for Spring Break March 21-28, I assume portals will update at around the same time packages go out?

CADREAMIN,
Are you saying that the RD (not scholarship) admitted kids are also getting white boxes, and not just e-mails and portal updates?

@ElenaParent yes kids admitted in the RD round get white boxes and I believe spring admits get yellow boxes. Good luck to everyone waiting for USC and other schools!