USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Let’s move the conversation back to USC, please.

21 Likes

This has definitely been asked before (so sorry) but does USC ever admit to second choice major? My first choice is def competitive so I’m hoping they’ll consider me for my second choice. The majors are both in DLAS.

They do, it’s common if your materials present you as being able to succeed in your second choice major.

If neither majors can admit you but the Office of Admission still wants to admit you, you may be admitted “Undeclared”

Thanks xwritesstuff! Do you have any updates on how to apply for the BCA program this year and the timeline after decisions are mailed?

My son is a genius but did not score a 1600. He is twice exceptional and does not perform well on standardized tests because he can theorize why several answers can be valid. However his GPA and course rigor are extremely high. Not everyone can perform naturally well on standardized tests. Some can throw a ton of money into learning to perform well. Should that score have more weight than GPA and course rigor?

5 Likes

Some words of encouragement for those stressing about tomorrow…

I was rejected on decision day last year for the class of 2024. I was absolutely heartbroken and thought I would never get to go to my dream school. BUT, I didn’t give up! I spent days on an appeal letter, telling admissions why I deserved to be part of the class of 2024. A few weeks later, I was accepted for the spring 2021 semester and felt happiness like never before. I am so happy that I went through the pain and hard work involved in appealing because it paid off. Moral of the story is, if tomorrow doesn’t go the way you’re hoping, there are many other incredible schools out there, and there are so many paths to USC. Whether you try to appeal or apply to transfer after a year or two at another school, there is a way to get to USC if you don’t give up. USC is a very selective school with tens of thousands of applicants, and if you are not admitted tomorrow, it does NOT mean you aren’t deserving of a spot! Good luck to everyone tomorrow, and Fight On!

26 Likes

Great advice! Does anyone know how often appeals work?

What was the experience like starting in the spring instead of the fall?

I love your example of perseverance.

And as you mention… if someone really wants it, it is still achievable… even after an initial rejection.

Look no further than the example of film director Bryan Singer. He applied to USC and SCA as a high school senior and was rejected. He applied to USC and SCA again as an external transfer and got into USC but not SCA. SCA rejected him for a second time. He applied a third time to SCA as an internal transfer and finally got in on his third try. So persistence can pay off.

Internally transferring is a big thing at USC, by the way. My younger daughter was rejected too by SCA when admitted Undeclared, but she quickly internally transferred into SCA herself.

On the flip side, rejection - even if consistently so - is not necessarily the end of the story either. Steven Spielberg applied to USC and SCA three times and was rejected all three times. While he never got to attend his dream school scenario of USC SCA, there is now a building named after him in the SCA complex.

And he is far from alone… many highly successful people, like Warren Buffet and Ted Turner and scores of others, never succeeded in getting in to their dream school. But hard work and dedication can pay off anyhow… and regardless of your alma mater. In the case of Buffet and Turner, they each made billions regardless.

There are many great schools out there… and success can be achieved using any number of them as your foundation for greatness.

Best of luck to all those awaiting an answer tomorrow…

6 Likes

Q. What are the chances an appeal will successfully overturn the decision?
A. Appeals are unlikely to change our decision. In a typical year, we receive approximately 1,000 appeals and only 30 to 50 decisions are overturned.

There is a small “Q and A” section at the bottom of a USC rejection letter, and this is one of them. It is rare for an appeal to be accepted as the Admissions Office states here, but I would say do not let this deter you from trying. You will never know what the outcome would’ve been without trying! :slight_smile:

1 Like

this score isn’t special though. most competitive schools could fill more than 1 class with 4.0 and 1600 kids

do we have any portal indicators for sure? i saw in the nyu cc that they have a few good ones.

pls i just came from there i cant escape

6 Likes

(post removed)

1 Like

True. USC could fill their entire freshman class as such with 1000+ leftover. Thankfully, that is not their goal. They are instead seeking to craft a well-rounded and extremely diverse class from many walks of life, many states and nations, many demographic groups, many socio-economic backgrounds, many varied creative, performance, academic and other skill sets, etc.

4 Likes

nyu is different tho bc their portal is apart of their whole software they use for literally all their students so u have access to so many things that no other school gives u

i did hear cwru had a canvas thing that worked where if u could log into their canvas u got in

This is why I think holistic admissions are great! You get to learn with people who aren’t similar to you at all

1 Like

yea usc’s portals have like nothing to crack
i saw the cwru one tho idk how accurate it is

Out of curiosity - does anyone know how many first year applicants USC received this year? Last year was lower than the previous year at 59,500.

yea ive heard some things abt the systems in china and india where the score u get on a test solely determines what school u can get into

1 Like