USC Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

yikes this is very concerning to hear

1 Like

I agree with AlwaysMoving. If your DC knows they want to go to med school, a bird in the hand (SUNY) is the way to go. Med school admissions is hard to predict, similar to admissions to elite colleges. It’s hard to predict what schools are looking for and perfect grades and test scores don’t automatically qualify your admissions to their school.

1 Like

The lofts are available at that price because many people need an affordable option.

My personal opinion is that students will adapt to the size of room that they are given. While parents of students who lived in a loft will comment on the size, I have never heard anyone state that the size of the dorm room was the reason that their child did not enjoy their college experience.

1 Like

@WWWard yay you! It’s great they made it legal officially since people had already made plans to come! I did laugh that they don’t have the dates yet, I know they are doing all they can but geez, it’s right around the corner!

USC Hotel is being fantastic so that makes this easier. The 2 guest is funny being the coliseum holds 80k (something like that) and some of the schools have like 200 graduates. I guess some pairs will have an entire section to themselves. :slight_smile:

@nbeyene101 it will be fine and they manage to make it fun, but I do know students that lived in those, and one student that was relocated due to issues in it, so the feedback is from them, def not a parent. It does help to find students views/opinions that actually lived there and in other housing.

They will be fine, but it’s better to go in with reality, knowing it is small, than be shocked (or disappointed) when you get there. It’s no fun leaving your kid in what they (or you) think is sub par, even if we know they eventually adjust. So they shouldn’t bring a lot of stuff with them. It’s nice if they don’t feel they always have to leave the room to get something done, but even in any room, there are those that decide to use the library or conference rooms to study, because they like it better. It works out. They are at USC for goodness sake - they are pretty lucky regardless!

Yes… super relieved.

That is so true though… I still do not get the cap at 2 guests. Maybe they want the 6 foot apart rule to be 6 stadium sections apart… lol.

1 Like

Thank you!

For those still dealing with a rejection…

UCLA ends their campus tours right in front of the book store. Perfect spot to sell kids and their families the merch lol

1 Like

Yes, we have some UCLA merch at my house from that clever post tour marketing strategy, even though sacrilegious for us to be seen in them.

1 Like

I’m sure they make for great PJ’s :joy:

1 Like

Painting shirts too. :rofl:

1 Like

I’m Class of '87! What a coincidence we were at Cardinal Gardens the same year! Congrats to your daughter. My daughter will be in Dornslife, Health and the Human Sciences, pre-med! Good luck to your daughter!

1 Like

btw @wwward, these are amazingly cool and a great value - super high quality and fast turn around:

https://usc.lhgprinting.com/product/custom-formal-poster/

Very nice. Thanks!

Does anyone know if you are more or less likely to receive a department or university scholarship if you enroll versus wait until May 1 to see if anything comes?

Has anyone not received their admitted students folder/package yet?? I’m in PA and still haven’t received mine. Should I call someone if it doesn’t get here soon?

We just got their red booklet today (Maryland). Still waiting for the financial aid letter.

1 Like

Does anyone know whether McCarthy honors/USC has orientation sessions for parents? I’ve heard they encourage parents to avoid dwelling after move in. I’m planning a trip from Pittsburgh for my daughter’s move in day in August 2021 and I’m trying to figure out how long I should stay in town before returning home. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, shared experience you might have.

They do have sessions for parents to do separately if you’d like to. Just keep in mind it’s more informative for you than bonding time with them. They are off doing their own thing most of the time. It’s really a personal thing on how long you stay to feel comfortable they are settled (and you are “settled” as well).

Some parents are around 4 hours and some hang around 4 days, merging it with a little vacation time in socal just to be in the area for a bit longer.

I was a drop and go kind of person - and I find those info sessions not interesting/repetitive info - but many do enjoy them and get something out of them.

I want to say they have at least a couple days of optional stuff for parents, maybe someone that had a student move in and stayed around remembers better, or I can look at some old emails from them.

1 Like