USC Class of 2026 — Regular Decision

you’re welcome. good luck…

Interesting post about USC on this thread. I don’t want to take that thread off topic so I am bringing the conversation over here.

I wonder if the track coach was trying to gauge how likely the student would be to attend USC. Not demonstrated interest but the “impression” that CADREAMIN was referring to and the “why” that Brunold talks about in his interviews.

2 Likes

I’ve gleaned a lot from that thread. Thank you for sharing.

Applicants can clearly eliminate a college or university from contention or consideration for a variety of factors. I recall some applicants last year, for example, saying that they were planning on eliminating USC because their assigned AO had not responded to an email in a “timely” manner. Every applicant is free to make that decision using any factor or factors they deem significant.

I had at least one child at USC from August 2014 forward through May 2021. And we of course started dealing with them in the fall of 2013 when my older daughter first applied. There have been a handful of issues that I would have preferred been handled differently by USC over those many years, but when evaluating everything in terms of admissions, financial aid, academic advising, the course registration process, student/parent communications, housing, etc., I remained very content and satisfied with USC overall. Over time, I believe that most students and their parents come to think of USC as a well-oiled machine that really endeavors to meet and surpass the expectations of everyone who has become a part of their extended Trojan family.

Now clearly my family’s opinion were first and foremost swayed by the reality that both of my daughters were admitted and attended and then had tremendously satisfying experiences while at USC. I fully acknowledge that our experience is our family’s alone. But it is also why I still come back to CC and post about USC in hopes of helping others by answering questions or sharing our insights. I, like @CADREAMIN , have had extremely positive experiences regarding USC, and we welcome the opportunity to assist others as they possibly embark on a similar journey.

And its understandable then that many have contrary experiences. Some simply opt to lash out against USC because they were denied a merit scholarship or later denied admission altogether. And I understand how that disappointment will forever change certain individuals’ views of USC. After all, 84-89% or so of all applicants are likely going to fail to be admitted this cycle.

For those who do gain admission and then must decide where to enroll. I would certainly not base your decision on something as simple as CC posts, regardless of whether someone like myself is decidedly pro-USC or not. I would do ample research and not just here on CC.

As I have mentioned on this thread before, I would suggest taking a look at the Niche College Rankings… comparing USC and other colleges and universities using some of their rankings, metrics and measurements. The Niche Rankings and Grades are mainly based on survey results from past and current students and faculty, and they delve into a number of areas that really highlight the topics that will most impact you once there as an actual student on campus.

For those curious… the last time I checked, USC ranked #16 overall on the Niche College Rankings and its grades were: A+ for its Overall Niche Grade… and then by category: Academics A+, Value A+, Diversity A+, Campus A+, Athletics A+, Party Scene A+, Professors A+, Location B+, Dorms A-, Campus Food A-, Student Life A+, Safety B.

But here is likely the best indicator… USC was ranked #1 out of 1579 colleges and universities surveyed in terms of “Best Student Life” overall.

As for the issue of safety on or near USC’s campus, I too was of course concerned as a parent sending one and then two daughters across the country from Florida to L.A. But… based on my daughters’ accounts and on my own visits over time, my fears lessened greatly. Parents are especially always going to worry… and no matter where their kids go to college, but the DPS safety zone around USC is rather large and well monitored with safety patrols, etc. They also provide campus cruisers and even free Lyft rides.

Here is a link to a variety of topics related to student safety at or near USC:

There are of course areas outside of the USC DPS patrolled zone that should be avoided… just as there are areas to be avoided in most major U.S. cities. The Niche college rankings puts USC’s safety grade at B as I recall and is based on dozens of public data sets and on student, alumni and faculty reviews.

For those curious… USC compares quite well in terms of safety with other elite colleges and universities… for example, in terms of safety - here are others’ grades for some of the colleges and universities ranked higher than USC via Niche:

MIT B, Stanford B-, Harvard B, Yale C, Princeton B+, Penn B, Columbia B, Duke C+, Brown B-, CalTech B, Wash U in St Louis A-, Rice B-, Northwestern B, UChicago B-, Vanderbilt B-, Dartmouth B. So only Princeton and WashU are ranked higher than USC in terms of safety.

So… if admitted… do not judge USC just by other’s posts (including my own). Judge it on the type of college experience you hope to have over the next four years. Visit the main campus and the USC Village. Ask lots of questions. Tour its facilities and housing. If you cannot visit in person, scour the internet for virtual tours online. There are scores of them available. Make a proper comparison with your other admitted options, and then choose the right school for you.

Good luck to all those awaiting a decision this cycle.

19 Likes

I’m from LA and appreciate your share, too. Thank you.

you’re welcome

Thank you so much for sharing. My daughter and I visited USC a few months ago and my daughter was a bit intimidated by the area surrounding the campus so it’s really good to hear that you had a good experience. The campus itself and USC Village were amazing.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. In all honesty, I was a little surprised just how quickly both of my daughters adjusted to life in L.A. They were soon off exploring Venice Beach, Santa Monica, downtown L.A., West Hollywood, Burbank, the various studios, etc. and going on away game road trips to places like Stanford. My older daughter was a rather shy and timid introvert. But she was also an aspiring actress who had to rent Zip cars and/or take Ubers all over the L.A. area for various auditions. Young people are for the most part highly adaptable and adjust quickly. It also helps to make friends with locals (like @paximadiana) who might be bringing cars to school :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cute. I’m actually mom and though we currently live in OC, my daughter knows her way around the Westside and trust she’d be happy to oblige. BTW mine sounds a lot like your older, and if accepted to SDA, perhaps they could connect and yours can help her get a better feel for the program.
:performing_arts:

Sounds good. Good luck to her!

1 Like

Just to clarify, the topic of that very popular thread is “College your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up and why.” It is an interesting thread to read as everyone has their own perspective on what moves a school up or down their own personal ranking.

The reason I brought the conversation over here is because we were talking about demonstrated interest. Impressions go both ways. Having a conversation with a coach while on campus is an example of how USC might develop an impression about a student.

1 Like

any updates on when scholarship decisions might be coming out? any chance it will be late January, or is it definitely “mid-February” like they have said?

4 Likes

I was hoping it would come out tomorrow but I don’t think so anymore. Usually a few days before decisions are released @uscadmission on instagram posts a notification but this year they haven’t yet. Fingers crossed though

2 Likes

Based on a zoom session a few weeks ago early to mid February . At least that is what the AO stated when we asked.

2 Likes

I have been watching their Instagram and Twitter also waiting for that post to go up. They usually post it a few days before results go out, so I think we have more waiting to do. Keep breathing, everyone! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just found this language on the USC website about merit scholarship interview notifications. It says notifications will go out in late Jan or early Feb:

# Trustee, Presidential & Deans Scholarships

### TRUSTEE SCHOLARSHIPS

Amount Awarded: Full-tuition

Number of Awards: Varies

Selection Criteria: Open to incoming freshmen. All Fall 2022 freshman applicants who submit a complete application for admission to USC by December 1, 2021 will automatically be considered. Selection criteria include academic excellence, leadership, and community service. An interview is required for scholarship finalists. Interviews will take place as part of the Explore USC programs offered in late February and early March. Finalists will be contacted by the USC Office of Admission in late January or early February.

How to Apply: Submit a complete application for admission to USC by December 1, 2021.

Notification: April 2022

3 Likes

thank you everyone! fingers crossed that it will be soon…

1 Like

I had posted this less than a week ago, was a pop up from USC’s admissions site. Indicates mid-Feb notifications, but they may surprise us :grin:

7 Likes

Will the interview take place in person or on Zoom? We’re on the East Coast. Thanks

2 Likes

If they have an in-person Explore USC, they will likely offer a virtual option as well.

As much as it helps for students to visit campus, I think virtual interviews will continue long after the pandemic is over.

2 Likes