USC Class of 2027 — Regular & Early Action Decisions

D23 admitted.

Flute Performance, USC’s Thornton School of Music. Virtual audition, did not tour the school.

Sociology/Music

WGPA 4.474
WNA 102.035
Submitted SAT 1570, one sitting
Class rank 3 out of 250
Attending small public STEM high school in Atlanta Metro
16 APs plus Diff Eq and Multivariable Calc, AP seminar and research Capstone Diploma
Strong ECs, lopsided to music, volunteer flute tutor
National (including NYO2), International and State honors
Attended EMF, BUTI YAO and BUTI Flute workshops, many masterclasses
Winner of several concerto competitions and local Flute Club Young Artists competition winner
NPRs From the Top Fellow
Published Sociological research on underrepresentation in Classical music education and industry

2 Likes

Congratulations!

5 Likes

OMG that is amazing! What major? I’m so glad the form didn’t cost you an acceptance.

I didn’t put it together when you posted your brief “I got in” :slight_smile: !!!

Are you excited? Do you want to attend? Are you considering some other options?

1 Like

I wonder about WBB since it’s a cohort. My son was offered TTP with WBB listed as his first choice. My daughter is a WBB student right now. I thought it wasn’t eligible for transferring into, but I think one regular Marshall student did after freshman year for my daughter’s cohort.

Well that’s a plot twist. I’m with you, I didn’t think you could transfer into WBB, I thought someone in your son’s situation would be transferred into Marshall, not WBB. I would call them to clarify that for sure. Call Marshall admissions or reach out to his assigned hs advisor.

Post edit - if it is WBB, also ask about the WBB scholarships - they use to auto get 1/4 (I think to help cover costs of attending dif universities and travel and limited aid options, etc) but that may not be the case now, but I think quite a few still do regardless - but would he qualify for WBB merit coming in as a soph?

1 Like

I figure it will be a non WBB Marshall transfer, but I will have him call. Thanks!

To answer your post edit: My daughter’s cohort did not offer 1/4 merit to everyone. I’m not sure if they did to the cohort after hers or will for next years incoming cohort. The good news is the cost of HKUST and Bocconi is half the price of USC! I will definitely have my son inquire about it.

1 Like

Is everyone invited to apply for the “Thematic Option”? Thx

1 Like

Told you ! Congrats !

1 Like

When do they release the merit scholarship decisions?

2 Likes

Tomorrow! For those that interviewed. Thornton however can be on its own timetable. Not sure if them and SCA etc will be tomorrow???

3 Likes

Thornton also does not interview their finalists, correct?

No not like the early admits in other schools. Good luck and Thornton is amazing! Have a non performance major graduate from Thornton.

2 Likes

Decision: Accepted–HIGHLY unexpected :astonished: :partying_face:
School/Major: Dornslife/psychology
UW GPA: 3.94
W GPA: 4.34 (4.4 UC GPA)
AP/Hons: 8AP/4 Hons
Class rank: School does not rank; ELC designation by UC system, which means top 9% of graduating class (Clearly meant nothing, as he was only admitted to one of the 6 UCs to which he applied. :woman_shrugging:t4:
City/State: CA, SF Bay Area
Deferred: No, RD only
Will you attend? Desperately wants to attend, but entirely dependent on FA miracle
Legacy: HA! Reading this thread, he definitely comes from different stock

• Received flurry of FA documentation requests, even less than 48 hrs ago. One request took many hours to complete last weekend. (I got a bit salty about the seemingly nonstop, tedious requests.)

• Typical hooks beyond family’s financial means, so no pricey summer programs, no research networks/connections, no college counselor, etc. Basic ECs: 4 yr school sport, 2 part-time jobs.

• Pretty fantastic writer with a candid and humorous tone who took a playful approach to many of the questions. Maybe this helped??

Other Results:
*** Accepted:** USC, UC Davis, SDSU, & CSU Long Beach
*** Waitlist:** UCSD, UCSC, UChicago
*** Rejections:** UCLA, UCSB, Northwestern, Northeastern
*Still waiting & FULLY expect rejections from all: UCB, Cal Poly SLO, NYU, Columbia

5 Likes

did you submit scores?

1 Like

Welp, we went 0-2 here, sadly. Both offered TTP (I am an alum). They have other options but this one stung pretty badly. :pensive:

2 Likes

Did anyone get into WBB? Since it’s such a close community, I want to meet some of my future classmates!

1 Like

Oh my goodness! Thank you! Here I am wide awake because I am now feeling guilty/worried that he won’t pick USC after all the grief and anxiety we invested in USC. The merit/ financial aid decision today should make things clearer. With USC no longer taking home values into account, I wonder if it will make our package with them any different than the other schools so far. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Congrats! Amazing program! My daughter applied early action and simultaneously submitted application materials to WBB. She was admitted to the business school (hooray) but was a Spring 2024 admit (major Business Admin) so we figure she is a no for WBB. We never got a rejection letter but we are just assuming based on timing. Did you get an acceptance letter with WBB as the major? Best of luck with the program! Such a cool experience!

1 Like

Rejected from Thornton, but accepted into Viterbi, which was a nice surprise!
NJ - UW 4.0, SAT 1540, 8 APs.

Congratulations and good luck to everyone!

5 Likes

Any guesses on what time they might send out merit decisions? D23 got a nice surprise from another school this morning and of course the Accepted Students Day conflicts with the date we picked for USC. Could be a moot point if merit doesn’t come through so for the second day in a row we are on pins and needles!

2 Likes