USC Class of 2027 — Regular & Early Action Decisions

Same. Congratulations!

3 Likes

Son Accepted to Iovine & Young Academy
Offered IYA Scholarship for 15K per year
Might attend. Loves IYA but was admitted REA to Stanford so it will be a tough choice
Did not apply early to USC
Did not submit scores
GPA 5.0 weighted 4.0 un-weighted
2 ECs, 1 mid and 1 strong
No legacy

6 Likes

We have an unimportant question about the scholarship. So my daughter is a NMF and has always had USC listed as her first choice with NM. She applied to SCA so not eligible for EA. She did interview for SCA, but not for a scholarship. She received the Presidential Scholarship today. :tada: Of course we were expecting this for NMF, but it has no mention of NMF in the letter. Do they just send the same letter to recipients of NMF Presidential and normal Presidential? Obviously it doesn’t matter at all, but we were just curious if she would have received the scholarship even without NM.

1 Like

When did you hear about the scholarship? My son was accepted to IYA but hasn’t gotten anything about financials

It sounds like she was given the Presidential scholarship that USC offers to National Merit Finalists. The Presidential scholarship is from USC, not through NMSC.

There are three ways that a National Merit Finalist can become a National Merit Scholar

1. Scholarship from NMSC ($2500 - recipients were notified yesterday)
  2. Scholarship from a corporation
  3. Scholarship from a sponsoring college

If a NM Finalist does not receive either 1 or 2 above, USC will award the student an additional scholarship on top of the Presidential, to make the student a NM Scholar. In the past, the additional scholarship was $4K ($500/semester for 8 semesters). I don’t know what it will be this year. That additional college sponsored scholarship, awarded by USC, goes through NMSC.

3 Likes

My son got that message today, too. It must be the NMF Presidential Scholarship because he did not get in the EA round. Still waiting to see the whole package.

3 Likes

All Presidential scholarships look the same and all Presidental scholars are treated the same. The only scholarship that will appear with the National Merit name is the smaller $4K scholarship.

2 Likes

Has anyone been notified that they were awarded the Trustee scholarship?

This page might help some of the new scholarship recipients. The presentation is from 2021. There is a possibility that terms could change for this year.

https://ahf.usc.edu/usc-awards/merit-scholars/

Definitely, was my top choice to begin with so I was gutted when I had that defer form scare. Thank god that didn’t matter. Mech e @ viterbi!!

5 Likes

Soooo happy for you and glad they didn’t negate you for the dang form. Yay! Fight on!

3 Likes

Also has anyone received a scholarship from SCA or Thornton that is not the NMF scholarship? Was it in an e-mail or in portal if so? In the past, they have worked on their own timetable, not sure about this year.

2 Likes

No, he decided to go test optional after three of his SATs were canceled.

1 Like

He got an email this morning. It’s not in his portal yet though.

2 Likes

If you are an engineering applicant that got Trojan Transfer and are considering study abroad, please verify that the courses you need to successfully transfer in are offered at the school you are considering. It is not just GEs required that first year for engineering, and at one point Viterbi put out something discouraging the study abroad option for engineering transfer applicants. I’m not sure if this still holds true and applies to all abroad options, but it was an issue in recent years. Course selection and grades are critical for a successful transfer into engineering. So be sure to ask about this at your info session if considering that route. Will also post this on TTP thread.

2 Likes

I moved a lot of the posts on study abroad kindly supplied by @mrsthawk into the Trojan Transfer Plan thread and updated the title to be Trojan Transfer Plan including Study Abroad Information. Hope it is easier all together over there. While the thread was started in 2020, the info is still up to date and reliable and reading through it should give you broad understanding of the program and a place for questions for that program.

4 Likes

I’m curious about the range of Thornton scholarships. I guess we’ll know soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

They didn’t make it clear if scholarships announced were ALL scholarships or just the early admits along with NMF. In the past, SCA has usually run it’s own show and Thornton beats to its own drum (pun intended) putting theirs out at random times. You can also call Thornton on Monday and ask if theirs have been released yet - someone did that last year cause it wasn’t clear then either - and they hadn’t. Report back if you do! TIA

2 Likes

Sounds promising either way. Hopefully she simply ends up in the best spot for her. That’s all that really matters in the long run.

1 Like

Did all of the merit scholarships today go out already or just a few of them?

Hi! We are also in Texas, and my son got offered TTP. He’s somewhat considering it. He also has acceptances to SMU, UT, TAMU, and Fordham. I think Fordham and SMU are the front runners for him right now. We are visiting Fordham next week for Admitted Students Day. He’s a business major. Fordham gave him full tuition, and SMU offered BBA Scholars with two scholarships. I’m confident in him getting the GPA requirement to transfer. He’s still waiting on Cornell, but we’re not counting on it. Maybe our kids will be at SMU together and then transfer to USC??!!

1 Like