USC or Northwestern for Math

Earlier this month I got into Northwestern, the University of Southern California, Boston College, and a few more. I have narrowed my choice down to NU and USC. I am going in as a mathematics major, but I might change if I like something else more. I want to go into college with an open mind and try other majors. Although NU seems to be the better option, with a vibe that I like, USC has nicer weather, its located in LA, and potentially has a better student body. I am leaning towards USC, but I can see that some companies I.e google are hiring quite a lot from USC and not as much from NU. It is mostly consulting companies that hire from NU, and I am not sure I am interested in that.

I like that NU has a very interdisciplinary approach and a smaller population, but I like the wide options at USC.

Opinions?

I don’t know much about NU, but my D23 sat through a USC Viterbi virtual visit session last week and was really impressed. They not only allow exploration of other classes, they specifically leave room in your schedule to take classes not related to your major so you can explore other topics of interest. Switching majors (at least within Viterbi) sounds surprisingly easy, as once you’re there nothing is impacted. They also said that, while USC is competitive to get into, it has a very collaborative environment once you’re on campus. Niche has it rated as #1 for student life. I suggest checking with someone at Dornsife to find out if switching majors is just as easy there as it is at Viterbi, then check with the math department at NU to compare. I was actually hoping my D would not like USC because the odds of getting in are so low, but the more we look at it the more she likes it. The ability to major in CS but still take an art class now and then is high on her list of wants. We might be in for some heartbreak a year from now.

1 Like

This seems to be enough to say that you should choose NU. What do you mean by USC has a better student body?

1 Like

Let’s see. You like the weather better. You want to stay out west and your perception is NW places in the East.

Sounds like you’ve already decided.

Good luck.

My recommendation (just an opinion) is that Northwestern is the better school unless there are fit or financial reasons to choose USC. Fit can include geography and weather — that’s perfectly fine and in fact a very reasonable way to figure out what’s best for you — but since you’re on this site asking anonymous users for their opinions, I figured you were sort of looking for the folks like me who lean towards a general “preference” of Northwestern. In terms of physical environment, a couple of things that might balance out the weather would be the lake, the seasonal beauty, and the architecture. Good luck!

5 Likes

My daughter is 99 percent sure she’s going to NU, just waiting for the 4/25 wildcat day to make sure.

2 Likes

Now, this might just be an assumption, but I was thinking that due to it being quite academic the student body would be nerdier which isn’t a problem. However, I am worried it is going to be quite an introverted campus which isn’t really my vibe.

I.e I think USC has better parties.

1 Like

I got a full ride at NU and I am waiting for my package from USC. I am thinking it would be easier to get a tech job at USC.

Full ride at NU is amazing. There are parties there - it’s a Big 10 school with Greek life and a history of (for better or for worse) having a traditional college social structure. In fact, in thinking of criticisms of the social scene that I’ve read right here on CC, there is the fact that (supposedly and anecdotally) a person applying to be in the sailing club was asked “do you like beer” and when they answered no the sailing club interviewer (a student, presumably) said “wrong answer”. I have no comment on whether this indicates a problematic social atmosphere but it certainly doesn’t fit a notion of “nerds, no parties.”

4 Likes

in isolation, I’d say Northwestern … but the Quater system may not be for everyone, and neither is Chicago weather … if those factors matter, maybe USC would be the better choice.

I don’t think getting a job in High Tech would be a problem from either school

4 Likes

Full ride that’s different. Can’t pass that.

2 Likes

Uh, this is a no brainer. You like the vibe at NU. Go to NU. I can assure you that they have parties there.

I’ll also add that as a native of So Cal, and whose parents both attended USC, on no planet would I choose USC over a full ride at NU. I particularly dislike the area immediately around USC, which is very unpleasant.

3 Likes

A full ride to Northwestern is an incredible deal.

Not many schools match Northwestern’s all-around academic greatness at the undergrad level – they are strong in just about everything. If you change your major/mind, you will land in yet another strong program.

If you are worried about their social scene, don’t be – the student body comprises varied interests and lifestyles, so with a modicum of effort you will find your people.

Weather can be important, but Northwestern’s academic advantages are, IMO, too much to overlook solely for weather.

Both schools have strong career support, so (again) with some effort you should be able to get interviews in your chosen vocation.

4 Likes

Hi, can you explain what the pitfalls of the quarter system are?

1 Like

It’s a lot more intense, as material moves very fast - it’s easy to fall behind, and not easy to catch up. The semester system is a lot more chill … easier to manage to your time and effort.

Having said that - some people benefit from the Quater system …

2 Likes

Thank you,
This thread was very helpful, and I am probably going to confirm my acceptance at NU.

4 Likes

Oh wow. Definitely take the full ride. Even if USC is more fun, it’s not going to be $300,000 more fun.

2 Likes