USC vs Berkeley vs Wellesley vs BU (full-ride) - looking for ability to explore different subjects

Hi!
I’ve gotten into USC, Berkeley, BU and Wellesley and I’m not sure which to pick. I’ve gotten into BU with a full ride which I’m super happy about, but BU hasn’t really ever been a top choice for me. I applied as a poli sci/ public policy major to all of the schools, but I’m really interested in exploring more quantitative majors like data science/ CS etc.
I know that Berkeley is amazing for CS and all things stem, but I also know that it will be rly difficult for me to switch to a major like data science or CS at Berkeley since they’re impacted. Being able to explore different subjects and really use the liberal arts system is super important to me, which is why I’m uncertain about Berkeley (I’ve gotten into the college of letters and sciences).
Academics is definitely the most important thing for me, but I also want to go to a school where I’ll be able to enjoy myself and also have fun.
I’d really appreciate any insight,
Thanks!

Are you in-state for Berkeley? Did USC or Wellesley offer any aid? What is your budget?

I would be instate after 2 years since I was born in California but I haven’t lived there. USC and Berkeley still haven’t gotten back to me about aid yet, and wellesleys given me around 50%.

hmmm - how would you be in state at 2 years? I’ve never heard of this - can you provide a link or info? I don’t believe that is the case - you’re a resident or not and it’s very hard to obtain. My kids were born there but we don’t live there and there was no path for residency for tuition.

UCB won’t have need aid. Wellesley is $84K - very different population (small) so than the others which makes me wonder how it made the list. So you’re saying they gave you $42-43K?

USC meets need so will be interesting. It’s $90K now so if it’s 50% - they’d give you $45K - but you won’t know til you hear from them.

BU at full ride - and sounds like affordability matters - is a slam dunk.

If it’s not a top choice or a desired school, why did you apply? It’s certainly different - urban, etc.

For poli sci, free ride trumps anything else - because you can do the major anywhere - but it so happens BU is very solid in the area.

One can have fun anywhere - depending on what you want to do.

But I’m assuming based on getting 1/2 at a need based school (I don’t believe Wellesley has merit), money matters - and congrats on BU. Give it a chance and congrats on saving your family nearly $400K (or $300K over UCB).

If I remember correctly, with Wellesley you can take classes at MIT. Former friends daughter took several and now works in VC. Very successful internship placement out of Wellesley too.

It seems you have gotten into some schools with notable public policy and political science programs:

However, its evident that in your case academic flexibility may matter to you at least as much as program strength in one particular area.

Yes! That’s definitely a massive massive pro for Wellesley as you can cross register at MIT!

1 Like

Yes exactly! I love polisci and public policy related things, but I’m honestly still undecided about the degree that I want to pursue. That’s what’s worrying me a bit about Berkeley, as I know that it’s very difficult to declare a major in any of the impacted subjects which will definitely limit my academic flexibility.

Yes sorry! Someone had told me that I would be able to pursue in state tuition after 2 years but I just looked at the website and the conditions, and I don’t think my previous statement is correct.

@Gumbymom is this true?

BU full ride? Was that need based aid?

I don’t think so! Sorry that statement was based on something someone had told me but I don’t think they were correctly informed

No - why I questioned that - or half the country would be trying to get back in-state !! Including my kids who weren’t allowed to apply.

1 Like

No i received the trustee scholarship :slight_smile:

So you’re one of 20 - and it comes with more. Congrats. That’s impressive at an already impressive school.

That said, I assume you do have need based on Wellesley which has no merit…and that makes it all the more a slam dunk - think of the strain you leave off your family.

Trustee Scholars Program | Office of the Provost (bu.edu)

I thought the Trustee Scholarship was full tuition and fees only…and didn’t include room, board, and other expenses. But perhaps that has changed since my kid went there.

Actually according to the BU website, the Trustee Scholarship pays full tuition and fees…but not room/board.

Can you fund the room and board costs?

However, the OP’s initial belief was based on an association between her state of birth (California) and the potential for in-state eligibility.

If you are under 24, your residency is dependent upon where your parents reside. Just because you lived in California before does not mean you get residency after 2 years of attending a UC. You and your parents must reside in California 366 days prior to the residency determination and have to show proof that you will make California your permanent home.

1 Like

Yes - and half the country is filled with ex-Californians (including myself).

I was being a bit tongue in cheek - but come to the South - CA, NY, and Illinois are all strongly represented.

1 Like

BU is a no-brainer. Boston is a fantastic place to attend college. Congrats.

btw: you would not earn CA residency for tuition purposes unless your parents move into the state.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.