Useful tips?

<p>My child is 50% South American and 25% Asian. This would be easy to proof, if it where needed. Does D being from these ethnical backgrounds help at all, and if they do.. how much? </p>

<p>Just in case I want to be sure if there really is a strong reason for her to declare her ethnic background.</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>Being part Hispanic can affect college admissions as many schools want a diverse student body. However, how much it can help a candidate depends on many factors, including but not limited to: country of origin, SES, the applicant’s academic and EC accomplishments, the college (for example, some public colleges cannot by law consider ethnicity and race in admissions decisions), degree of association with the Hispanic community, HS attended (eg. private, suburban public, underserved), obstacles overcome, first gen, etc.</p>

<p>I see from your posting history that your D is a potential transfer student, it is really difficult to know how much of a factor that race & ethnicity play in transfer decisions because the number of transfers is so much lower than fr admissions and there is essentially no data available. However, I think it’s fair to say that it wouldn’t hurt and it might very well help.</p>

<p>entomom, thank you for your comments. I’m glad to hear this might play a positive role in her admissions.</p>

<p>Yes, my child is torn between completing her current degree -which she doesn’t have her heart into nor does she intend to work in the field- which she’s close to completing and then undergoing a second degree -in which she hopes to get GE or electives waived or transfer credits- or dropping this altogether and transfering to her major of interest -and another university I might add-. </p>

<p>If it isn’t a waste of your time, I have seen your posts throughout CC and consider you have a lot of knowledge and could possibly help me think what to do in our situation.</p>

<p>I’m not sure where to start, it seems like your most important considerations are her status with so many college credits and finances. What state are you a resident in?</p>