S21 submitted his app today! So here goes:

When did you apply: 10/10/2020
Class Rank: 189/1080
GPA: 3.6 UW, 4.2 weighted
SAT (with Sub Scores) Test Optional, not submitting
ACT (with Sub Scores) N/A
When did you receive your admission decision:
Are you an Auto-admit or Review Admit: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: 1st choice: Moody (Communications & Leadership), 2nd Choice: Economics (COLA)

Will graduate with 6 AP classes and 15 Dual Credit hours.

Volunteer hours: 100 hrs

Extra Curriculars: Marching Band 4 years, Interact Club, NHS

Leadership: Marching Band Section Leader (Low Brass)

Youth Action Council for our City (shadows and works along side City Council on youth related initiatives)

2020 Delegate to Boys State (in person session in Austin was canceled due to Covid, but he still committed to and participated in the weeklong virtual session)

Economics for Leaders summer program at Rice University

Served as Student Election Clerk during March Primaries and will do it again during Early Voting this month and on Election Day Nov 3.

Has held down a part time job at Whataburger since Jan 2019, still working.

His SAT score that came back on Friday was the weakest part of his application (he’s got test anxiety and doesn’t do well on standardized tests…scores don’t always match/reflect his grades).

We know it’s a total crapshoot for him, but hey, doesn’t hurt to try right?! His essays are pretty strong and I feel he’s a good, well rounded student, so we shall see! Good news he won’t be devastated if he gets CAP’d, which he probably will lol.

The wait begins!

S21 did because his college/academic advisor recommended he do so. They provided him with the template.

@ChillyCow My son is not an auto admit ,so he submitted all the optional documents thinking that it might help in getting admission . We got the resume template from his counselor’s site.

https://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/file/d/0B-tJrleotx5HYXlvOTU0T3haS3M/view

@MJoeMom , thank for the template link. It says the site can’t be reached when I click it though. Maybe it is restricted by College Confidential or your counselor?

@Momof3B and @MJoeMom , did your templates list activities by grade or activity/categories?

Categories…much like a professional resume. If you want to message me your email I’m happy to share the template with you.

I also got in as an auto-admit!

@Momof3B I’m sending you a DM, thanks!

@SP100AV , wait, what?! Congratulations!! That’s fantastic! Do share more as you are one of the early birds! When did you get your acceptance? Can you share your major and your stats (if willing)?

@Momof3B , thanks for the offer! I will check with my son; he has balked at doing one every time I mention it. I think he is so over all the college application/essay process that he will likely decline again!

@ChillyCow It looks like college confidential replacing “docs.google.com” in the url with ****
Try to edit the link or get the templates from the website directly
http://westwoodcounseling.blogspot.com/2020/08/senior-informational-email.html

My cousin is applying to college of engineering this year. He is not auto admit. He is 16% texas high school, 1320 in SAT (600 English and 720 MATH). GPA 3.9/4. What are his chances? He is trying both UT and A&M. Also, does UT have have Early action or anything like that for auto not admit?

@ChillyCow I’d strongly recommend that your student submit a very well put together long resume. My son was HS c/o 2020, now UT Austin c/o 2024 (Plan II Honors). He was an auto admit, however I can absolutely promise you that they look at the long resume and give it weight. Several UT college deans commented specifically, on the strength of my son’s long resume, and the information that they got from it, that they otherwise would have not gotten from his admission application. As a matter of fact, that resume carried a lot of weight (period), and garnered a lot of positive feedback that came with honors and scholarships from every school that he applied to.

My daughter is a senior at Westwood as well. They are doing a good job of setting these kids up for success.

Just curious, how did your son get specific feedback on his resume he submitted as part of the application? How did he get specific UT college dean(S) comments?

Thanks everyone for your feedback! So my son is saying if Westwood students do the resume, then he needs to also!! Question now, how long were the resumes? Is it okay if more than 1 page? I know they call it an extended resume/long resume.

Do y’all think they have started looking at any Review Admits yet? Or just Auto Admits?

Anybody who has submitted their application recently, how long did it take to get the UT EID? My daughter finally applied last night. She is an auto admit (3.41%), but she is a little nervous because she thinks her first choice major, Biomedical engineering is very competitive. And that her SAT score (1500) may not be sufficient especially her math score (730). So she wants to ensure that she is able to request recommendations from a teacher and a research guide who is an Associate professor in one of the UT system medical colleges. If possible before the university receives the SAT Scores and her transcript. And perhaps upload her expanded resume.

@MomofOne, it was a very quick turn around for my son back in August. Submitted the app after lunch and had his EIN by dinner. Not sure how busy they are now but I would imagine she will get it pretty soon.

@Momof0ne My son submitted his application on a Sunday night and received his UT EID on Monday evening.