UT Austin Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

@rbc2018 My D21 had the similar issue. She had an prior UT EID created probably while attending a WEP workshop during summer. We got worried as her application did not show up even 10 days after submitting!
Then we realized (from emails that we had failed to notice) that UT has assigned a different EID. Our application showed up under that.

@fsinha Actually the EID thing didn’t end up being an issue, but the transcript didn’t show up, then we had another uploaded, and it showed as being evaluated, and the app was still incomplete. Several days later, the app was finally considered complete but then there were glitches with the housing app. Just weird lags at each step of the process! I think it’s all done now. Who knows!

@CollegeYaYa I’m pretty sure that Texas Code says the residency determination is based on where the parents live and not the student. I have provided a link to the Code and you are looking for Sec 54.052. If the parents have been living in Texas then you would fit (2), “a dependent whose parent…”

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/ED/htm/ED.54.htm

@clobber88 and @CollegeYaYa , I’ve heard this is true for military families but not sure on boarding schools kids? Actually, if she looks at her UT log in, in the upper right hand corner under the majors, it says the “residency for tuition” and lists the state resident classification.

This is from UT’s website: https://admissions.utexas.edu/residency#fndtn-t143-requirements

Requirements
To establish residency through high school graduation, you must:

Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
Live in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
Live in Texas for the 12 months immediately before the census date (usually the 12th class day) of the semester in which you enroll at the university (or another college or university).

@ChillyCow I’m assuming in @CollegeYaYa’s case, the parents are living in Texas with child at boarding school. In that case, you would follow the admissions link you provided, and then in the “Determining Residency” click on the “rules” link. The first page is just terms, but then click the “next rule” twice until you get to the law. It looks like there are different rules for dependents - and it is the parent’s domicile that counts.

@CollegeYaYa We are texas residents and our daughter attends a boarding school oos as well. I called admissions for another question and got a woman on the phone who seemed very knowledgeable. Who knows if everything she told me was correct but here goes. She told me that 75% of the UT freshman class is reserved for the top 6% of texas residents. Then 8% come from out of state. She said that because our daughter is at an out of state high school she will be grouped and evaluated with that group (even though if she gets in she’ll pay in state tuition). She said because there are lower numbers from out of state, it actually helps and, if competitive, an out of state kid has a 1 in 3 chance of getting in. She said, if not in the top 6% of Texas schools it’s super hard to get the remaining spots. She literally told me that if we’d applied in state and not in the top 6% my daughter “probably wouldn’t get in.” It was pretty scary - and since my son is in hs here really reset my expectations. It kind of surprised me because I always thought oos were at a disadvantage given the huge numbers of in state kids they accept. I guess the thinking is that after the 6% there’s 25% left (minus 8% for out of state). This leaves 17% for kids in texas who aren’t in the top 6% and if a high school is super competitive in texas being in the top 6% is pretty rough. Bottom line, I feel like the whole thing is a crap shoot.

@NeedAVacay ,love your username! Thanks for this info. What major is your daughter applying for? Those stats are brutal. I would love to know the percentage breakdown per major. We are waiting on electrical engineering but know it is like buying a lottery ticket.

@ChillyCow Thanks! I think we all need a vacation right now! Daughter applied to College of Natural Sciences with School of Undergraduate Studies as a back up. We know an oos resident who applied last year and was accepted in December. I believe she applied to School of Undergraduate studies. 32 ACT, straight A’s, rigorous course load w/ APs, excellent extracurriculars, competitive hs. She decided to go elsewhere. UT has become very popular on the east coast and it’s a very competitive area. I asked about when students would be notified and it sounded from the woman I spoke with in Admissions that they might really be sticking with late January for early applicants. Who knows! I take everything with a grain of salt.

I have a question about the On-Campus Housing Application.

We clicked the submit button and paid the $50 but when we check the MyStatus page the Housing Application is still listed under the Recommended to Do list.

Does the On-Campus Housing Application move to the Done list or does it always remain under the Recommended to do list?

I’m just worried our application did not go through properly. Can someone please tell me how it appears on your MyStatus page? Thank you.

@TexasAtHome When you click on the Housing tab, does it say you have a housing application or that it is pending? That happened to my daughter, she thought she had completed it, but then elsewhere it showed as pending and we couldn’t figure out what to do to ‘submit’. She emailed housing and the next day they emailed back and said they had fixed it and she just needed to go back in and formally submit the housing app (it had already been paid).

My daughter should be an auto admit. Her application is still “under review”. She has applied to Moody College of Communication.

Anyone else gotten in here yet?

@TXgrlsMom I am also an auto admit, and I got the notification saying I have a seat at the school, but my application is still under review for my requested major. I think those admissions acceptances may not roll out until the December-March time frame

@rbc2018 The Housing tab says we have an application. So everything seems to be in order! Phew!

Thank you! Thank you! :smile:

@Cpalm70, has your child’s business honors application status changed? My son applied on 10/26 and all supporting documents were submitted. Fall 21 business admissions status says “In review”, but Business Honors application status is still “Complete”, did not change to “In Review” yet. I would like to know if it is just him or if it is the same for everyone.

Ours is same as yours - application is “In Review” and Honors status is “complete” - mine submitted everything on 10/10. Does anyone know last year when kids starting getting emails for interviews? I feel like it was around this time.

Update: my son got an email for an interview with BHP alum last night! Don’t know how much it means, but it feels like we are over the first hurdle.

@Cpalm70 that’s great!! Would you mind sharing stats?

@amaraag - Sure! OOS, GPA 4.91 on 5.0 scale - all honors and AP (10 total) classes all 4 years in small private school, 1510 SAT, tons of ECs - leadership in student council 4 years, leadership in community service, 2 sport varsity athlete with state championship teams. Happy to get the interview and happy to have at least cleared one hurdle in the process! Good luck to everyone!!

Interesting, a couple of days ago we noticed the application showed as ‘in review’ (submitted 10/28), now under the Honors tab, it says ‘we’re reviewing your polymathic scholars application’. I’m pretty sure that’s new language. Hmmm

@chesmin I applied to both Canfield and CSB and I haven’t heard back from either yet haha, don’t exactly know what to think of it. I haven’t heard of very many others getting notified for an interview, but I’m guessing those should start rolling out around now and through December.