UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

I am looking at a roommate for my son who is studying CS in the fall. Anyone who is also studying CS is welcome to contact me

Any OOS from east coast still struggling to decide (Eng) if they will fit in? Our DS is still undecided, UT is the best ā€˜brandā€™ he has especially for Engg. But he thinks he may feel more at home in places like UIUC or Purdue than south east.

1 Like

Just got accepted into Electrical and Computer Engineering honors program.

3 Likes

Rejected from both UT Engineering Honors and UT ECE honors with the same application that got me accepted into Harvard, Stanford, and Yale with a likely. I was 100% committed to going to UT before this application cycle and would have likely chosen it over my other schools had I been accepted to honorsā€”I am an in-state applicant from Austin, my closet is filled with merch, and my parents already have a tuition fund specifically for UT set aside for me.

Not only that, but my honors decisions have respectively come 1 month and 3 months past their purported release date, since I applied by priority (Feb 1st decision). Maybe I would have submitted a better application had I not applied by priority. I donā€™t want to sound entitled, but UT treated me like trash this year.

For future applicantsā€”be wary of UTā€™s application office bureaucracy.

7 Likes

Congrats on your acceptances! You canā€™t go wrong with any of those schools. UT admissions feels different this year. My son accepted his spot in CS at UT but didnā€™t get into honors either. He is an in state valedictorian at a large high school. Based on the discords heā€™s on, he feels UT went out of their way to cater to OOS students in high demand majors this year. They turned off a lot of in state students. He is WL at other top schools and may accept a spot elsewhere if they call.

2 Likes

So where are you choosing? UT engineering is a tough admit for anyone and UT Honors/Turing, etc. is even tougher. Iā€™d think that UT Honors would be mirroring the admissions decisions that Stanford and Harvard would. Stanford engineering is pretty salty.

I will be attending Stanford in the fall :slight_smile: Committed just yesterday!

Yep, I get that UT Honors is tough, but Iā€™m still a little irked by the decision. It was my ā€˜dreamā€™ school, and Iā€™m sad about leaving it, but Iā€™m looking forward to California!

In my opinion, if UT wants to keep its reputation, the admissions office needs to get its act together (with regards to the late decisions)

6 Likes

Congrats on UT CS ! A hard program to get into. Was curious where your Son accepted. Remember you from the EA decision cycle at GT :slight_smile: Good luck on the WL.

1 Like

Thank you! We will see what happens in case the WL at GT moves. My son overall isnā€™t happy with the way UT admissions went this year. Many of his friends received bewildering outcomes. One of them randomly got into his desired major after being denied and put in COLA the first time. This happens to some people even as late as July. We would love to know the inner workings because they make no sense from the outside in.

1 Like

People seem to be exaggerating scores on here. Take it with a grain of salt.

What an ignorant and racist comment. You donā€™t sound educated and really shouldnā€™t be adding your two cents.

Why are you calling his comment racist & ignorant? UT itself has said publicly that it needs to use different criteria for different races in order to have a diverse campus.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/litigation/committees/diversity-inclusion/articles/2016/summer2016-0816-diversity-in-classroom-fisher-v-university-of-texas-austin/

3 Likes

kids with lower SAT score/rank are failing STEM at UT first year and it leaves open spots for transfer students. I hear many UT CS students donā€™t show up on the final tests as they know they are not even close.

1 Like

Thatā€™s incredible because I thought only tippy-top students were getting UT CS admissions.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think people are exaggerating, but the nature of the people using sites like this are more involved with their students, have more free time to keep up posting, whether staying at home or working in a more white-collar setting, and tend to come from higher social economic classes. On top of that, those of us with students with lower SAT scores, donā€™t come on here talking about it for several reasons.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s insane. Forget UT and go to a better school with those stats.

My daughter was disappointed with mixed results - got into some top schools and rejected from others. She started at Cal Poly SLO this week. She has already started interacting with professors, department dean, her advisor, and multiple students. She feels very happy to have picked SLO instead of falling for big names as she heard about the level of teacher-student relationship from her friends who are going there and the past 2 days have confirmed her expectations. It is a bit too early, but hopefully that trend will continue.

For everyone last year who saw an update in the RIS before getting accepted, how many hours or days before was it updated?

Mostly the same day before end of Jan. Can be a day off after January.

1 Like

what would an update in the RIS look like?