UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

It sort of defeats the purpose in my opinion. I think it is a fair assumption that people in state would want to stay in state without having to put it down on paper. In my case we couldn’t get the documents in order by August 1, including proper letters of rec. my school just got to the point where people don’t go to A&M as the dream school due to a change in zoning. There are many students striving for Ivy League schools and the high school wasn’t prepared for it.

The letters of rec they issued were so standard that these top schools would laugh. I barely made the REA deadline for Stanford after having to recycle my letters 3 times.

1 Like

Hang in there! Many parents would envy your trouble. UT definitely way behind this year.

1 Like

UT does have a why UT question which allows an applicant to detail the reasons. From what I see here, the admissions pattern has no pattern that is understandable to us mere mortals.

2 Likes

There was no why UT question when I did my application

Essay A - unique opportunities or challenges
Short Answer 1 - why first-choice major?
Short Answer 2 -experiences, talents or involvement in leadership activities will help make an impact
Short Answer 3 - how your experience at UT Austin will prepare to “change the world”
Short Answer 4 - special circumstances

short answer 1 - is actually why first choice major and why first choice major at UT. that is where you should answer why UT

2 Likes

Ohh yeah I did write that. Thanks

I wrote why I want to major

I’m under the impression they are holding on to see who withdraws due to Early Decision.

True too! That’s why those top students literally say they will commit to UT way back in August, then those become no brainer for the AO.

Specifically because there were SOOOO many applications this year (maybe test optional, who knows). But to protect yeild this particular year, I could see it.
Even Wisconsin sent an email saying that although they promised 24 Dec for EA, they were actually pushing it to 31 Jan due to overwhelming amount of apps.

Speaking of Wisconsin, is there anyone else on this thread from WI other than me? Just curious to see how many might have applied to UT. I applied for RTF and am very anxious to hear back.

My kid is not very big on UT given the high rates of homelessness in Austin and the general liberal culture of the campus. However, he is just as anxious to learn if they want him! I keep telling him it’s a top notch Texas school, and based on everyone else’s kids’ numbers, it is!

2 Likes

Well, if true that UT wants/expects kids to tell them how badly they want to go to UT (whether the kid is telling the truth or not) AND considers that in admissions, that would be shameful. Kids from Texas who have worked hard enough and have enough talent to warrant an offer of admission have earned the right to consider all their options once all the decisions are in.

It is inexcusable that a state-funded school would do this. I hope it’s not true.

5 Likes

Not WI, but my son is from MN and applied to both UT and Madison.

I completely agree with you. I hope they are not doing this yield protection to lower acceptance rates and go up in rankings. Even top state schools like UCLA and UCB do not do this.

1 Like

No, you must be admitted to the university to be considered for the Forty Acres Scholarship.

Not true. They are entirely different processes and every year it seems there’s a disconnect between the two and 40 Acres interviews a student not admitted.

1 Like

If it wants to boost its yield over 50%, UT can offer an early decision round like UVA does. They offered 1109 out of 3500 apps with a 38% in-state and 25% OOS offer rate. ED applicants found out around December 10 and Early Action applicants will find out in mid-February (all at once, like U of Florida).

2 Likes

I think this is better. Otherwise the students will all express interest whether they mean it or not and that metric becomes moot

1 Like

Did anyone get an email asking them to apply to 40 acres scholarship today? Didn’t get one here but there is buzz on another forum.