UT Austin Class of 2027 Official Thread

CAP can be Jan 31st evening or Feb 1st, if you consider CAP as “rejections”.

For EA yes, Feb 1st is the kind of official cut off line. For RD, admission continues through March, about 50-100 waiting lists between April and May.

When will UTSA release decisions?

My son hasn’t either. Do you know if some BHP applicants get into McCombs before hearing about an interview or rejection? My son is still waiting to hear about McCombs as well. Do you know @SLTXmom?

Quite possibly.

2 Likes

I applied for priority and finished it before the deadline for the honors ECE program. Meaning I will hear back for regular and honors before February 2nd? Correct?

1 Like

sorry if this a dumb Q but what is CAP / CAPPED?

yes that is very much a possibility. My understanding is that if you don’t get into McCombs you’re out of the running (obvi) but if you do get in, there is a possibility your portal honors section will say that they are still reviewing applications. And you could get an interview mid Feb

1 Like

It’s when UT says that you can go to another campus for your first year (UTSA, UTD, UT Arlington) and then transfer to UT Austin your sophomore year.

It might be specific campuses but that’s the general idea to my understanding.

1 Like

Yes, it’s just UTSA or UT Arlington for CAP, I believe.

1 Like

Thank you. He’s auto admit waiting on McCombs, applied priority, and his honors application is still under review.

CAP stands for Coordinated Admissions Program.

https://admissions.utexas.edu/enroll/cap

You do one year at another UT Systems school (usually UTSA or UTA) and then transfer to Austin sophomore year…BUT…you’re only guaranteed admissions to the College of Liberal Arts. For someone wanting Business, Engineering, Comp Sci etc, it’s not really a viable pathway.

Have you heard of any applicants getting into HYP instead of UT McCombs or MIT, Cal Tech or CMU instead of UT engineering? Reading a HYP page reminded me how multi-dimensionally exceptional an applicant has to be.

I knew people that graduated with my daughter that got into Wash U and UNC but CAP’d at UT.

Are they rolling? There was a mom on FB page who said their child heard yesterday.

There are other options also like UT Tyler, but UT San Antonio and UT Arlington are the most popular and get taken within 30 minutes of CAP opening up

1 Like

Yes if application completed by priority date an admission decision will arrive on or before Feb 1st. To minimize the stress, it is best to check status on Feb 1st.

To clarify you are not admitted and waiting for honor decision? Engineering honors is a separate review process not the same as admission. There is no set date for whether accepted students get honor or not.

2 Likes

As far as I know, they are two independent processes. That being said, BHP has visibility to the entire application. My son, in-state, was admitted to Mccombs in mid December, interviewed for CBHP in mid- January and is awaiting the decision for CBHP. I have heard that you can be interviewed for CBHP but not make it to Mccombs

2 Likes

Not UTD, but UTA, UTEP, UTTyler, UT Permian Basin, UTRGV and UTSA all participate.

2 Likes

For engineering, it has been common in the last few cycles top students not getting into UT (auto but offered COLA) but getting accepted to MIT, Cal tech and Stanford. The unique situation is due to population explosion in Texas (19M to 30M in the last 30 years). There is no new university in Texas and the two main affordable colleges UT and TAMU just keep expanding enrollment way below the pace of population growth.

HYP are different. HYP are not even close to acceptable in engineering in terms of resources, research and faculties. However, for Liberal Arts and pure science, HYP are much more difficult to get into than UT. But the main issue is that top students rarely consider taking pure Natural Science and Liberal Arts so the application data size to HYP is much smaller.

3 Likes

Last year a close friend’s nephew was declined by UT Cockrell, interviewed but declined at Harvard, and admitted at Purdue, Michigan, Berkeley, CMU and Georgia Tech. Holistic (non-auto) candidate. 1480 SAT. Top 20% from a large Texas public high school.