UT Austin Class of 2027 Official Thread

Appealing for Major that already falls in COLA….Currently CAPPED. Worth pursuing? I know it won’t affect a CAP decision. When do appeal decisions come out?

My older son got into UT (Mccombs) in 2020 via an appeal. Result came out in 1st week of April. I think spaces had opened up due to Covid. Not sure how it will be this year.

1 Like

OOS DD is going to appeal. She has compelling experience from this year that supports a change in desired school and major. Does anyone know statistics from past years like how many OOS typically appeal and how many are approved? Thanks for any info!

1 Like

Heard yesterdsy and yes was an interview

2 Likes

Appeal process requires new information not in current application, if student has something new go ahead appeal.

Got an email for Deans

Today???

Day before yesterday. Deans

For Health Science Scholars and Polymathic scholars did you fill out separate application as well besides Deans?

guess we have to wait til march

Want to ask about Engineering Honors at UT. Is it hard? son got accepted to ECE and wondering about the honors. Is it hard to get in? Are courses hard to maintain a good GPA?

My son heard the decision on Monday.
He is studying abroad but US citizen.

1 Like

Has anyone received any information about an admitted students day in spring? Do they do the whole university or by major (she is nursing). thank you!

You fill out one application for the one you are applying to (at least that was the case when my child applied a few years ago). At that time the website stated that if the committee felt you were better suited for a different honors program, they would consider you for that one instead. My child, who is in one of the programs, knows people who applied for HSS that were given Polymath for instance. If your interests are research, you will be considered for Dean’s or HSS. Dean’s is primarily for people who would like to do a PhD. If you’re application is strong in research or community service and you are premed, HSS is best. If you have varied interests, it’s Polymath. I know students who are in Polymath who have different combinations, like Neuroscience/Communication or Biology/Graphic Arts. One of my child’s friends is a Biology/Radio-Television-Film major who is premed so applied for HSS but because of that background, was given Polymath instead. Partly because of what you will do for your thesis. If you’re Deans’, it’s research. If it’s HSS, you can choose between research, community service, or health care. If you’re Polymath, you come up with your own thesis.

1 Like

Is your son business? My son is a BBA scholar at SMU. The business program at SMU is amazing. I know McCombs is good too, but weigh and visit both programs before making a decision. Just my two cents.

2 Likes

More course work at faster pace, 17 hours per semester. Advantage is scholarship.

https://utexas.app.box.com/s/mvlzwl4q0zfrfloibqukuzvhdkwea071

1 Like

Hi! Yes he’s business. We are very impressed with SMU. We visited in June for Mustang Days. I love that they are expanding the facilities. He was accepted as a BBA scholar and got the second century scholar scholarship. He was also invited to apply for the Hunt scholarship and the Presidential. I’ve been hearing great things about Cox. He won’t pick UT if he doesn’t get in McCombs or BHP. Thanks for reaching out!

5 Likes

I’d also look at flexibility. Private colleges tend to have WAY more of that for a broader education if one wants. Size also.

1 Like

When did you have your BHP interview?

I do not know, but I’m wondering the same thing bc my D is still trying to decide which university to attend. She attended general tours last year, but I do not know if they do visits to their specific major and department now that they are admitted. My D other top university does bc they want her to commit to them, but not sure about UT.