UT Austin nursing vs. Texas Tech nursing

Hi,

Daughter is weighing options and loves both nursing programs at UT Austin and at Texas Tech. Both have incredible programs. She has been accepted to UT nursing (direct admit) and will have to apply to Tech nursing after her requisites are completed.

She loves the college town feel of Tech and not 100% sure she likes the campus being in the center of a big city at UT. But, the nursing school at both are incredible and that is very important to her.

Would love to hear some feedback from any UT or Tech nursing students/parents.

Thanks!

How many people apply to the nursing program at tech vs how many spots they have? Sounds like you could have to change locations.

I’d pick the sure thing at UT.

@ AgTechMom If your daughter is considering nursing schools based on reputation, UT-Austin is definitely one of the tops in the state (top 25 in the nation) and very competitive. I believe their average NCLEX-RN pass rate is around 95%. Don’t know much about Texas Tech, but if their program offers a specialized discipline that your daughter finds interesting (like midwifery) that should be considered. In the end, employers all fight for BSN graduates (no matter where it came from).

@AgTchMom in past years, UT has invited admitted nursing students to an event in February. I think it’s called “Best of Nursing” or something similar. I recommend that your daughter (and you!) attend that event before making any final college decisions. Hook 'em!