UT-Austin VS Purdue

<p>I am an international applicant. I have received the offer from Purdue Chemical Engineering and UT-Austin Materials Science and Engineering (both with financial aid). I am going for graduate study. Which one should I choose? Thank You Everyone!</p>

<p>Well I only know that purdue is a good school. My sister goes to UT and I can vouch for it. UT has a very rigorous engineering program that is consistently ranked highly. This can be a bad thing as a significant percentage of engineering students at UT transfer to other majors. The university in general is vast. With so many students and majors it can be a bit overwhelming. The location is ok but since it is in downtown Austin it can feel cramped. Luckily, the social scene is amazing. Parties are everywhere and the student body is generally good looking. As for Purdue, you should get somebody else’s opinion.</p>

<p>Thank you! If I want to get a job when I graduate, which university has a better fame in the industrial? Does Chemical Engineering major have a better chance to get jobs than Materials Engineering?</p>

<p>if i were interested in Chemical Engineering and wanted to work for Big Oil, UT would be the better option, for engineering in the midwest, defense companies or out on the east coast I would probably choose Purdue.</p>

<p>The two universities both have excellent engineering programs which rank highly. However, it seems that Purdue has a greater fame for its engineering college than UT. Is it right from American people’s eyes?
And for the job opportunities, do companies prefer to employ graduates from local universities nearby?</p>

<p>I personally think UT is just as good as Purdue for Engineering however Purdue is known world wide for its Engineering School. AT UT the Engineering school gets overshadowed by the other good colleges they have.</p>

<p>You are on the Purdue page, of course we are going to say Purdue. BTFU.</p>

<p>Texas is waaay better. Don’t let their biases sway your choice.</p>

<p>Both are good schools. UT is ranked a lot higher than purdue but purdue is of course “known” for engineering but UT is a really great engineering school, too. UT engineering is also really tough to get into, so props for getting accepted. but you should think about what else you want from a grad program because it’s tough to say which one is “better” than the other.</p>

<p>@clfdwlr
UT is slightly better on overall ranking, and i’m not being biased. Go check out USNWR rankings.</p>

<p>clfdwlr, that was kinda a rude though wat u said.</p>

<p>No offense.</p>

<p>Both schools are great engineering schools and I don’t think there will be a large difference picking one over the other.</p>

<p>Okay
provided are the rankings</p>

<p>For Chem eng
[Chemical</a> - Best Engineering Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report](<a href=“http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/chemical-engineering]Chemical”>http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/chemical-engineering)</p>

<p>For engineering
[Rankings</a> - Best Engineering Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report](<a href=“http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/rankings]Rankings”>http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/rankings)</p>

<p>Both only differ by a few rankings, I don’t think u’ll go wrong with any.</p>

<p>With this u mite wanna consider based on the environment. Austin is very metropolitan and West Lafayette is a very nice place for studies, providing the less “busy” nature of the city. Depends on your liking.</p>

<p>You might also wanna look at the money. Which one provides the sweetest aide packet.?</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your reply! I think it is valuable for me, an international student who do not know much about US universities
Wallace, Purdue provided a lot more money than UT did, but I think both of them are enough to support my graduate study.
So it seems the two universities are both great engineering schools, it is really hard to decide which one is better than another. However, Purdue’s engineering school ranking is going down and UT’s is going up these years from USNews. Purdue engineering school has a glorious history, but it seems that it is not as good as before now. I don’t know why this happens. Are there any specific reasons to explain this?
There is one thing I’d like to emphasize that the majors in the two universities are different. Purdue is Chemical Engineering and UT is Materials Engineering. So do you have any comments on the two majors?</p>

<p>I have not seen Purdue really go down (I am prepared for another attack calling me stupid and pointing it out), it is still a very very strong school. With their added investments in their program I only see them getting stronger too. The differences in rankings is very minimal either way too. Also have you seen Neil Armstrong Hall? I think that should make your decision for you.</p>

<p>Yes, clfdwlr, I have seen Neil Armstrong Engineering Hall, and I also saw Discovery and Research Park which Purdue invested a lot money to.
Do you have any suggestion on the Majors I mentioned above?</p>

<p>Eh, I think for rockflyer the main selling point of Purdue will be Discovery and Research Park. Purdue wasn’t the only one that invested into these research facilities, companies were the many financiers for these projects. Neil Armstrong Engineering Hall doesn’t mean anything to him if hes going into ChemE. Since he’s in the graduate program, I see no reason for him going to the building except to use the lounge or something. </p>

<p>Its odd that Purdue has a better MSE department than UT-Austin but UT-Austin has a better ChemE department and you chose it that way. I think it comes down to what you prefer. Purdue has a better history in the Engineering field compared to UT-Austin but UT-Austin has been getting a lot of recognition for their superb academics lately. Which school do you prefer and which school would you rather have a degree from? Did you visit both schools and see for yourself the facility, faculty, etc.?</p>

<p>as Jimgotkp said, i think it really depends on what you want to study. because UT has chemical engineering (cockrell school of engineering) too, but i’m assuming you got admitted to the texas materials institute for materials science and engineering at UT maybe?, which i think is separate from cockrell and is just for grad students. and purdue also has materials engineering. so it’s kind of up to you on if you want to study material engineering or chemical. both are good choices, but, in my opinion, you should figure out what you’re more interested in rather than which school is better. what did you major in for your undergrad?</p>

<p>Jimgotkp, I have not visited the two school, because I am out of US.
smahanru, my undergraduate major is Materials Science and Engineering. To be more specific, I am doing research in Nano science and engineering, such as renewable energy, nanodevice and MEMS based on Nanotechnology.</p>

<p>Good call on that smahanru. I second the advice on pursuing the major you have more passion towards. I’m not sure what Nano Science and Engineering would go under, but would you consider going to grad. school to study it more in depth?</p>