UT-Austin vs UW- Seattle [out-of-state, likely poly sci, maybe psychology, maybe pre-law]

That’s fair. If you’re on or close to campus, UT is very walkable and doesn’t require a car. And it’s very central to Austin. Not sure about UW’s relative walkability.

Both are amazing schools and cities. I lived in Seattle for 9 years post college and 4 of those years were in the U District. I also lived in TX for 10 years and spent a lot of time in Austin and on the UT campus. My son would love to go to either school and I’d be happy to have him at either. UT could have an edge for poly sci since the state capital is literally 1-2 blocks from campus. So, there could be the possibility of work experience. I’m sure there could be opportunities in Seattle as well, but the state capital is in Olympia. She has 2 fantastic options, very exciting for her!

3 Likes

Don’t forget most cities and counties have govts and major cities will have departments like transportation and other things. So lots of government operations all over.

1 Like

For sure. I said Seattle would provide plenty of opportunities. I just said the Texas state capital is practically on the UT campus.

1 Like

Not only that, you don’t have to get caught in traffic to get from UW to downtown. You can take Eastlake, which is how 99% of people around the UW would do it, or cut up on Harvard and go via Capitol Hill, or go around the other side of Lake Union through Freemont, over the bridge and onto Dexter.

Seattle’s horrendous traffic is 90% on I-5, 405 and the bridges. You needn’t be on any of them to get to downtown, and there is a lot in and around the U district itself. Seattle’s traffic problem is mostly a north/south issue for people coming into and leaving the city. Within the city it’s not that big of a deal.

Yes, downtown Seattle has not fully recovered from the pandemic. We shut down here before most areas of the country and businesses suffered longer. It will take a while before downtown is back to its old self, but the opening of the waterfront by razing the viaduct has been wonderful for the city. One of the great things about Seattle is that downtown is functional and people (use to) go, whereas in some major cities downtown is quiet and dead after working hours. Capitol Hill is a walk away (up hill though) and there is a lot there too. Bottom line is that UW’s location in the city is one of its advantages. Right on the lake and right in the city.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.