UT Dallas Class of 2026 - Admission Discussion

My daughter received the email this morning. She received $16,000. Also, received an email to apply for the Eugene McDermott scholarship.

3 Likes

my financial aid package came in, no scholarships of any kind, just a bunch of grants.

congrats!!! if you don’t mind sharing stats?

Mine was told she’s being considered for the McDermott but wasn’t asked to actually submit it yet. it stated that Official eligibility will be confirmed in late Feb… wondering if you got similar or something different. thanks.

Those of you getting the AES, please share stats, it may help future applicants. I’m still shocked my son did not get anything.

Maybe your son can get something if he applies for a reevaluation.

My son was offered AES yesterday. $1,500 each semester. We are out of state Illinois. He is National Merit Finalist, WGPA 4.40 and SAT 1570.
I am sort of disappointed in how the whole process has played out with UTD and hoping this is not how things will be if he happens to choose to go to UTD. We applied Nov 16 and decision date was Dec 15. Typically, most Universities provide some form of communication to let you know of scholarships available and if you are National Merit you are eligible to get … Nothing from UTD. To top it off, we got email from UTD yesterday to apply for admission and visit on a particular date so that they can waive the application fee.

oh that’s rough!!!

This is what UTD did to many other (all?) NMSF who got accepted after Nov 15. AES is meaningless for NMF, as the merit gets replaced by the NMF package anyway. S22 received a letter about the UTD NMF scholarship package (still the same as in the past years) back in December.

S22 got the very same email yesterday. They very likely emailed all NMF. We just laugh about these things.

If you want a confirmation regarding the NMF package, contact the director of the UTD NMS program. They are very easy to work with.

that’s a sweet NMF package!!!

It’s not his first choice, so he is not interested in pushing for it. He told me he takes it as a sign that the school is not a good fit for him. He has several other good offers, and very good merit from his #1 so this just confirmed his desire to go to there.

My Concern with UTD is that if they don’t have enough resources in terms of administrative and faculty. My daughter is studying ECE at UIUC. One thing about UIUC is that she was always able to speak to advisor within 24-48 hours and this was even during the height of the pandemic. Illinois has been completely crazy with the mask, testing and everything but still the UIUC was extremely responsive.
Also, the resources in terms of Electrical kits were mailed to all students on time and the other resources like past tests, quizzes, office hours, availability of TAs has been exceptional. UIUC makes to keep the grading consistent over the years and in between professors. My daughter was able to send an email and discuss with a particular professor who is an absolute “rock star” in ECE and all this within 72 hours.
Yes, UIUC does not provide National Merits the same level of scholarships like UTD but I think UTD has to be a little more responsive and consistent and that is my concern.
My son is interested in pre-med so the scholarship at the undergraduate level is sort of a necessity.

Maybe look for another school then. I have a happy NMS sophomore there and don’t share any of your concerns.

I am not asking anyone to confirm or deny my concerns. You can read the UTDallas reddit blog and see how many students are complaining about not hearing back from their advisors for weeks.
UTDallas is a newer university and this is probably part of the growing pain. I also think there is wide disparity in the academic ability of students as compared to say UT Austin or UIUC.
The applicant portal of UTD is probably one of the worst compared to 12 other universities my son has applied. I didn’t put much credence on that as that would not be an issue once you are a student.

1 Like

I read UTD reddit and yes, people complain about this and that. They also complain on the reddit of the other 2 universities S22 is considering.

If you find it discouraging, then other places may work better for your child.

If your son is NMF or National Merit Scholars, the scholarship program and package is different, contact Admission office to make sure they receive your son’s designation.

UTD1

5 Likes

If I got admitted on Dec 6, when will I get AES

I first reached out to Wendi Kavanaugh. I could barely hear her as she uses “Teams” (which I don’t think is the issue). I tried calling her multiple times and it was same issue. I had no issues with other phone numbers. That was the only number of the NM page at UTD.
I finally was able to the find the directory for UTD and found the direct number to Valerie Brunell and left her a voicemail on 16th. She reached out to me on 18th and we had a nice conversation and she understood my concerns.
UTD was on remote learning/elearning up until Feb 4, even though school started 2 weeks before that. They are aware that UTD applicant portal is terrible but that is part of the overall UT system.
Overall, a teachable moment for my son - things can be resolved quickly if you just speak to the right person instead of trying to do everything online.

Today, S22 received another letter specifying the UTD NMF package.

Thats exactly what I was asking Wendy Kavanaugh for. Most universities provide the financial aid and scholarship package within a few days or weeks of the admission decision. They also mention that if you are an NMF and list the university as your first choice by May1 then you will be eligible for that package.