UT Dallas Class of 2026 - Admission Discussion

Coming up on 6 weeks of waiting for my application decision, application was fully complete the day after submission and have reviewed no answers from UTD admissions office from emails. Hoping I get some sort of communication soon

I got admitted to TAMU, UTD, UH, TTU and an OOS student with good credentials. TAMU may not offer any merit scholarship, some chance with UTD and fair chance with UH & TTU and become eligible for in-state tuition. Can anyone give me clear differences between UTD and TTU and which of these 2 are better overall? Appreciate your insight and Thank you.

What major?

For TTU they have an honor pre-med with the biggest incentive - no MCAT needed. They only accept top 10% it won’t hurt to try. I think this is a better deal than TAMU and UT as competition there may not guarantee good GPA and the need to take MCAT makes TAMU and UT tougher.

UTD pre-med is called Pre-health. Top 15% students historically got 100% med school placement. Even top 44% (nearly half) has 86%. But UTD students require to take MCAT. But note that UTD pre-Health is loaded with top students. So top 15% are really top students.

If Medical school is your goal, TTU is easiest (and likely cheapest).

Apply to the UH Honors College. With in-state and honors, you’ll love it. When I was in it, over half the dorm students were from OOS.

Thanks FriscoDad and tristatecoog. Very helpful information. Healthcare Studies in UTD, Biology in TTU and Biomedical Sciences in UH. TTU 8 year program is only for Texas residents and “No MCAT” is not applicable for me. Essentially, need to weigh in among these 3, I believe. Any further insight based on this info?

https://www.uh.edu/honors/Programs-Minors/curricular-programs/health-professions2/biomedical-sciences/

If this is the UH major you’re targeting and you have a 31 ACT or required SAT and get into Honors, this is a really special collaboration with the local medical schools. My college roommate went to U of Michigan Med School. Honors is a strong pre-med focus. Check out the other schools and see what you think works best.

Do you guys think being a national African American recognition scholar would help land me any type of AES?

Doubt it since they do not say anything about the College Board Recognition programs that I could find. (My daughter is Hispanic Recognition Scholar).

Will post this info about Texas A&M in case if you do not already have it, they are generous for the designation that you have earned:

https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Scholarship-Programs/National-Scholars

For TTU not biology, the program with MCAT waiver is called UMSI. (see below)

Undergraduate to Medical School Initiative (UMSI) | Professional & Early Acceptance | Academics & Enrichment | Honors College | TTU

UMSI is only for Texas residents

1 Like

Hoping to get full ride scholarship. SAT - 1530; Rank - 28/573

1 Like

CS Major

2 Likes

Very high chance…

1 Like

UTD keeps their full ride scholarships for NMF and McDermott Scholars. The highest AES is $16K. 1530 may not be high enough to receive the full $16K.

Yes but 16K with stipend is considered full ride… Not completely free, but very close.

1 Like

$16K would be full tuition. Full ride covers the entire COA - tuition, board, travel, …

when does UTD AES awards awarded? is it early Dec or late Dec? last year, AES awards were awful, hope they do it better this time.

based on last year UTD AES fiasco, SAT score of 1530 may not be any close to 16K. hope they do a good job this year

I have no idea when the AES awards will be announced. The AES awards changed a couple of years ago. I don’t see UTD going back to the level of awards given out in 2018.

Last year, students with 1520+/4.3GPA/dozen of APs got around 3-6k/yr. hope that doesn’t repeat