Uugghhh ! Help please :(

<p>UUUGGGGHHHHH !!! So I really wanted to pay my housing deposit at 8am this morning but I had to use the money for something else so I won’t have enough to pay it for atleast 3 weeks , so mid/late October . Will I get the last pick time ? Will I be stuck in a horrible dorm ? I can’t ask my parents, as mentioned earlier, I’m paying for everything on my own.</p>

<p>no, you will not get the last pick time. I will try to look back at my son’s emails and see what the schedule was like for this past year.</p>

<p>3 weeks from now will likely be fine.</p>

<p>BTW…if you’re low income, you can get a waiver for your deposit. did you get waivers for your app costs?? </p>

<p>However, you have a bigger issue. How are you going to be paying for all of your costs at Bama?</p>

<p>Are you instate or OOS?</p>

<p>Even if you don’t get the first pick, there will be plenty of great dorm rooms. Sometimes students who do not have the first pick have roommates who do, and that roommate can pull you in early.</p>

<p>M2CK has asked an important question. How will you be able to afford the other costs? There are ways to save expenses; such as picking a less expensive residence hall, not having a car on campus, buying used textbooks, and other costs saving measures. However, it is important to know what the cost of attendance is and what it includes.</p>

<p>If you’re instate, the minimum costs (tuition, standard double dorms, meal plan, fees) will be about $17,000…how will you pay that?</p>

<p>YOU can only borrow the following amounts:</p>

<p>frosh 5500
soph 6500
jr 7500
sr 7500</p>

<p>If you have a very low EFC, then you can get a Pell Grant. If you have a 0 EFC, then the Pell Grant will be for $5550. </p>

<p>However when you add 5500 loan to 5550 Pell Grant, you’re still very short of money.</p>

<p>If you’re OOS, then the costs are much higher.</p>

<p>I’m OOS from Missouri but I’ll be fine as far as paying for it . MY EFC is 0 so after borrowing from the school and whatnot I’ll take out student loans for whatever outside scholarships don’t cover . I plan to live in Burke. I know how much OOS is , with fees, books and</p>

<p>First, my son didn’t pay the housing deposit till March I think. He ended up in Honors Riverside North. He wanted RCS. By June he was there. This change constantly. Kids pay for rooms and decide not to attend. Second, if your parents apply and are denied for a parent plus loan you are entitled to borrow an additional 4,000 a year.</p>

<p>everything else . </p>

<p>&& Thanks Vline :)</p>

<p>I’m OOS from Missouri but I’ll be fine as far as paying for it . MY EFC is 0 so after borrowing from the school and whatnot I’ll take out student loans for whatever outside scholarships don’t cover . I plan to live in Burke. I know how much OOS is , with fees, books and</p>

<p>I think you misunderstand. YOU will not be fine paying for it. YOU can’t do what you’re planning on doing. </p>

<p>With an EFC of 0, you’ll get…</p>

<p>5500 federal student loans (these you can take out by yourself)
5550 Pell Grant
You “might” get about $2000 in a Perkins loan (these are iffy).</p>

<p>YOU can’t qualify for any other student loans. You would need qualified co-signers, and frankly, that is just tooooo much debt for a student to take on. </p>

<p>Outside scholarships aren’t going to cover the costs. Those are for SMALL amounts, hard to get, and usually ONLY for freshman year…nothing for the other 3 years.</p>

<p>You’re OOS…the basic costs will be over $30k per year.</p>

<p>M2CK , </p>

<p>I apogize, perhaps I didn’t make myself clear. I’ve been awarded two outside scholarships already . One for $10,000 annually for four years and another for $15,000 annually for four years . I’m expecting (as you’ve mentioned $11,500) from the school. The remaining balance is a little under $10,000 which I will take out an outside loan to cover (I have a qualified co-signer).</p>

<p>I’ve spoken with the following about my plan for paying for college:
-Bama’s financial aid department
-My local credit union
-My guidance counselor
-My economics teacher</p>

<p>I just wanted to be sure I wouldn’t have a terrible pick time. Thank you for all of your help :)</p>

<p>^^
Oh good…glad that you clarified.</p>

<p>Congrats on getting those outside scholarships. It’s very rare to get those…especially ones that are for all 4 years. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>anyway…with an EFC 0, you can get your deposits waived.</p>

<p>First, my son didn’t pay the housing deposit till March I think. He ended up in Honors Riverside North. He wanted RCS. By June he was there. This change constantly. Kids pay for rooms and decide not to attend. Second, if your parents apply and are denied for a parent plus loan you are entitled to borrow an additional 4,000 a year.</p>

<p>wow- congrats on those loans- how did you find them?</p>

<p>Do you mean “congrats on those scholarships”?</p>

<p>If so, YES…how did you find those??</p>

<p>LittlemissBAMA, knowing this is a UA forum and you did not ask for my advice, I’d still like to throw something out there. Are there no other options for you to attend college using your great scholarships so that you don’t come out of school $20,000+ (maybe $40k) in debt?</p>

<p>My d deposited around 10/20 last year. She had the second pick time which was the first date but the second hour. She could have been in any building she wanted. The honors Ridge Crest Tower had no more completely empty suites, although there were rooms available at her time, if she wished to live there.</p>

<p>Do you mean “congrats on those scholarships”?</p>

<p>yes- my error!!</p>

<p>where did you find those great scholarships?</p>