UVA Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

Their admissions blog post has lots of good info.

Is anyone else going to freak out? I got deferred from almost all my ea schools and feel like I dont stand a chance in this regular decision round. So many schools are coming out tomorrow and friday.

1 Like

My D is feeling the same way. She is not happy so many are coming out on the same day. It feels like another Ivy Day, which had her beyond stressed already. Now she feels like she has two “Ivy days.” UGH!

1 Like

Does anyone know if they give any scholarship or merit awards come with acceptances? I don’t know if UVA even gives any of these but it’s getting down to the wire for my daughter. She’s OOS and was deferred during EA. I don’t think we’d even be able to afford UVA without any merit especially since she has a good in state option what is relatively cheap which is important since she wants to go to med school. She needs to make up her mind soon and I know her other deferral is coming out on Saturday so that leaves only W&M.

UVA doesn’t offer any merit or scholarships with acceptance offers. Best of luck to your daughter tomorrow - deferred acceptance rates this year are 3%.

1 Like

Well. Looks like i will not be getting in.

Nope. Deferral was a polite way saying denied. They only took 83 OOS and 74 in state from both ED and EA. Less than 2%.

If they’re going to do that, why defer? They are giving kids false hope.

3 Likes

It seems a bit mendacious for a university, a public university no less, to declare repeatedly that it does not take note of demonstrated interest when it admits 38% of in-state applicants in the early decision round and only 17% in the regular decision round. What is early decision if not a huge exercise in demonstrated interest? The pool of regular decision applicants would have to be radically worse for the admission standards to be the same or even similar for both pools.

3 Likes

Where did u find this stat?

I figured they probably didn’t, just didn’t know for sure. She really was shocked she even got deferred and it’s really not in the budget aways. Definitely a reach school for her.

They don’t know until they receive the RD applications and they’ve said the RD applications are getting more competitive.

Dean J blog came out tonight.

1 Like

Dean J’s blog has the numbers. If the RD pool was getting better relative to ED pool, the gap would be narrowing. Instead, it’s getting wider:. 18% differential last year, 21% this year.

Thanks @Dad03SE .
I’ve corrected my calculations.

Early Decision Defers

Overall defers: 1,027
Total VA defers: 530
Total OOS defers: 497

Early Action Defers

Overall defers: 6,925 (22%)
Total VA defers: 2,295
Total OOS defers: 4,630

Defers and Waiting List

VA Deferred students offered admission: 72 (162 last year)
OOS Deferred students offered admission: 83 (150)

OOS acceptance rate = 83accepted/(497ED+4630EAdeferred) = 1.619%,
which is lower than MIT’s deferral acceptance rate :astonished:

2 Likes

You are missing the 500 ED defers too. Lower number.

1 Like

Ridiculous 

Keep in mind that some % of the deferred applicants withdrew their applications. I’m sure they won’t share that number but the deferral pool is less than the number deferred ED and EA added together.

1 Like

Fascinating numbers. D was not expecting to be accepted after a deferral, but those numbers are frighteningly low. I suspect thing might likely change a little next year. 1- less deferrals, assuming similar application numbers. If they would have anticipated this low of a number, my sense is they would not have deferred as many as they did. Accept/deny, and maybe defer a more select number. Based on how transparent they are, I doubt they meant to have a 1-2% acceptance rate there.

I do wonder how this will impact their yield. Not that they care (Dean J has said they don’t, and of all the schools I take Dean J at her word), but they do need to have a sense of likely yield and be able to craft a class. Anecdotally from our school, they accepted two students EA. Neither will be attending, because they have acceptances to their personal #1’s. In 2022, I wonder if we’re going to see so many top heavy acceptances- where certain students are being accepted to multiple schools while otherwise fantastic students are being rejected in most places. This could create an enrollment issue

Anyway, back to my initial comment, I wonder if they’ll simply waitlist kids from EA. That seems more reasonable, and would provide a much better sense of reality to kids. Being waitlisted confers a minute chance, as opposed to an expectation that a deferral is similar to RD. It’s clearly not. Which is a little strange. If an application was deemed worthy of further review, and that application is part of 1-2% acceptance rate in the next round, that next RD round must be unbelievably strong. OOS I suspect we will see a VERY low yield. Going to be fascinating next month and a half.

7 Likes

Why would this have any impact on yield than previous years? They have had very similar number of in-state and out-of-state number of acceptances over the past few years. Their in-state yield hovers around 60% and OOS around 15% or so.
Good luck to your D today.