UVA EA 2026 thread

Hey Yami,
I think you are going to have lots of choices on the table!!!
I’m a Michigan alumni and it’s a very good school BUT it looks like you are coming out of California. Having grown up in Michigan, check out the weather before committing. It’s brutal – and not in a NE snowy way. It turns gray and overcast around Oct and stays that way until April or May. My birthday is June 13th and it was always a tossup whether we could have a party outside. I now live in Virginia and there’s a TON more sunlight. For me, it’s a game-changer. If sunlight is important to you, you may want to dig a little deeper on the natural environment.
BTW, you sound like a DUKE girl. Did you apply?

2 Likes

AHHH thank you! I actually did not apply to Duke. A lot of friends did but personally i did not find Duke that appealing hahaha. Yes I heard the weather at Michigan is brutal so I am kind of scared cause where I live it’s practically sunny all 4 seasons. How was your experience at UMichigan?? I got an email that they are willing to do hotel/travel accommodations for me to visit the school.

1 Like

SORRY if I offended Duke

1 Like

If you like Dean J’s vibe, you would probably love CVille. We live in Charlottesville and it’s very, very active & pet friendly. Dean J does a great job of showing off the vibe of the town through her feed (dog, fun, real) and I think that’s a pretty tough thing to do!

3 Likes

D1 graduated last year and is still living there this year. UVA and CVille are great. Great vibe and great people. We are in NY, so it was a really nice change for D1.

Hoping for good news for D2 tomorrow. She got into UNC, but I don’t want to go further south. Good luck everyone.

1 Like

hey yami, my son/daughter also accepted at UMich and daughter applying to UVA. We are also from CA (Bay Area). Any suggestions on who I can follow up at UMich about travel accommodations for a campus day visit?
thanks for any guidance

UNC is a great school, ESPECIALLY because it is further south. :grinning:

UVA and UNC are very similar so it would be quite difficult for a family to shell out OOS tuition. I bet there are not a lot of kids that cross the line to the out-of-state school. But if you’re already pay OOS, I’d say UNC is a fab choice, too! Congrats to D2 for landing a spot there!!!

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!!

4 Likes

Brother went to UNC. While similar academically, I would say that UNC and UVA do have a bit different vibe. NOVA and a higher % of OOS kids make UVA a bit more “not southern” if that makes any sense? UNC is awesome, and it does feel like a southern school in many respects. UVA feels not dissimilar to many other mid-Atlantic or northeast “elite” type schools, with the public built in. Really a unique vibe to UVA in many respects.

That said, brother was looking for exactly what he got at UNC (20+ yrs ago, lol). Acceptance to either OOS is extremely difficult, and should absolutely be a major consideration for anyone- no matter where else they’ve been accepted. In-state tuition to either, on a cost-effective basis, makes it very difficult to reccomend a student go anywhere else unless the opportunity is truly special.

3 Likes

Hi Yami,
DD applied to Duke and then rescinded her application. She was called for an interview and had to explain that she had withdrawn her app. She didn’t feel it was the right school for her. It’s fine! She has a very good friend at Duke who is loving every minute, though! No offense taken – no school is the same as the next and everyone needs to go where they are both comfortable, can afford it, and THEY GET A SEAT.

1000%

Was accepted to UNC OOS?

Did anyone here not apply for aid and sees “inquiry access denied” or will the people who didn’t apply for aid all have the same message?

AFAIK, everyone here who didn’t apply for aid has the same message.

What do you guys have under To-dos under myinformation?

From what I’ve heard it’s even harder to get into UNC as an OOS applicant than it is to UVA (UNC threshold is lower). Many congratulations!

4 Likes

What is the standard message for people who did not apply for aid?

I see an error.

Does it say like not authorized and a bunch of code?

Yes

There is no financial aid information found.

1 Like