UVA EA 2026 thread

yeah, based on what I have read, this year is a little different in that it is coming out after the decisions vs the same day…so there isn’t a reference point for a date we can look toward this week.

I am deferred by Duke (ED), Chicago (EA) and MIT (EA). Accepted by a couple of schools that I am not interested unless I can get into their guaranteed program.

Didn’t expect a deferral from UVA, with my stats and EC especially seeing my friends with lower stats, EC and test optional got accepted. I don’t think UVA cares much about yield, because I also see on this thread that many kids with stellar stats and test scores got in.

1 Like

DS admitted OOS (NY)

35 ACT (one sitting)
4.5 weighted GPA
9 APs
Captain of two sports
Nat’l honor society Co-President
All state saxopohonist

We are shocked, as he was already deferred by Michigan and Georgetown, so made the assumption the same would hold here.
Admitted to Fordham with a generous scholarship.

1 Like

A deferral from those schools is a major win! Congrats, and of course good luck.

Dean J has said specifically on here and other places that they aren’t concerned with yield. I do think she means yield protection. They have to be concerned with overall yield, though. The amount of acceptances cannot result in a committment level that outstrips their desired class size by any meaningful margin. So I’m sure there’s SOME consideration to algorithms and ideas as to who might accept, but not in terms of strict yield protection. I could be wrong, of course, but it would seem strange for any large or semi-large school to not have a plan with respect to historical yield %. However, schools like UM absolutely and positively yield protect in EA round. UVA does not.

Our D’s guidance counselor is prepping some of the super high stat kids in her school for schools that aren’t on their radar yet. Basically- go to a school where you like the “vibe” and the environment and believe you would enjoy your four years. Then go be a top fish in whatever size pond you swim in academically, and the world is your oyster. As she said, finishing in the 50% at Brown or Cornell is not worth as much post-grad (ESPECIALLY if going into any post-graduate academics) as being top 5% at just about any of the top 75s.

UVA OOS is a reach for everyone. Everybody only knows about 80% of their own applications, and that goes for peers. Maybe those “lower stat” kids have reccomendations that say “this guy is going to be a super star- the most engaged student I’ve ever had, babysat their sick peers’ puppies…etc.” You just never know. Our daughter is slightly bummed about her deferrals, but also knows it’s a combination of luck and timing in many instances. Her GC actually spent a few years in an Ivy admissions office, and said even in the old days there are so many students they WANTED to take but couldn’t. I assume with UVA and their OOS quotas…that’s even more prevalent.

5 Likes

I was talking about legacies and Donors in general and through the college admissions process.

Well, to the students it does apply, my words still remain. I’ve worked in education for 16 years, and have seen lower stats students land in top tier/ivy schools.

@Coolmommaggie - I’m a SEAS '92 grad and our OOS legacy applicant daughter was just admitted, but we were sweating it even with great stats…all legacy applicant parents seem to have gotten a letter about a month or so ago letting us know that legacies tend to do well in the process, but only because they tend to have high qualifications…and that the legacy status itself, was NOT a huge driver in the decision process. They were careful to say all the right things about how much it means to have legacy applicants because of how it reflects on our relationship with the school, etc…but they were definitely managing expectations downward.

Years ago, I recall it being somewhat common knowledge that OOS legacy students were evaluated against the in-state bar, and treated, as a group, as a cluster of applicants just behind IS applicants…that’s definitely NOT the case anymore.

Indeed, I don’t have the letter handy right now, but I recall the number of legacy apps was staggering…clearly there wasn’t going to be any hall-pass just because of legacy status.

6 Likes

Thanks, totally get what you said. The issue is really UVA is in-state for me. So this hit really hard.

@mom270 - I agree that the poster doesn’t appear to be telling the whole story…for example, there are parts of her posts that suggest she is either 1) improperly hoarding a Selective Early Action position at Harvard while still looking elsewhere…or 2) Is a QuestBridge candidate with a very unique story. To say she has a “full ride” at several schools who don’t actually give full rides like that…well, it makes me more inclined to think she’s on a QuestBridge path with a story that follows an atypical path.

Either way, though, you’d think the poster might be self-aware enough to realize that her stats (which she claims “everyone has”) are actually not very competitive by typical ivy/public ivy standards…I still give her benefit of the doubt and just assume she’s a little oblivious, but it’s understandable why others would wonder if she’s trolling.

I agree with you, it’s a total crapshoot now and I think it will be very interesting to see where this 22 class gets in. My D OOS (great stats, many APs, ECs) was accepted to UVA, but deferred from Northeastern and UMich. Still has a long list of RDs we are waiting to hear including a handful of Ivies but I think she has realistic expectations and will be more than happy if this is where she ends up going.

2 Likes

I thought it was odd that the poster did not respond when someone pointed out they have the same name as a UVA employee and it’s not a common name. If it is a real student, I would recommend reading up on Emotional intelligence, i.e. not shoving your Harvard acceptance and full scholarship in people’s faces if you want others to cheer your success. My two cents.

This year there were 2720 legacy applicants - I was surprised there weren’t more. I think it’s staggering there aren’t more, given 50,813 total apps.

Degrees Awarded | Institutional Research and Analytics, U.Va. (virginia.edu)

In the relevant timeframes for parents of current applicants, UVA was awarding about 2800-2900 Bachelor’s degrees each year…to have 2720 legacy applicants suggests that nearly every graduate had a kid and they applied…it’s not actually reasonable to think the number could be much higher…barring lots of twins…especially when you figure that quite a UVA grads married one another, thus reducing the number of independent legacy kids to apply. LOL.

1 Like

I believe UVA counts grad school attendees for legacy purposes as well. And one would need to go back another decade, perhaps, to include anyone with a class of 22 member. So the offspring of all the grads over perhaps a span of 20 years would count as legacy applicants.

1 Like

Yes- that’s why I was surprised to read in the Cavalier article that legacy apps were such a small percentage of the overall applicant pool.

Although I know the odds shrink a bit in RD, but I really feel like you have a good shot. Clearly you’ve got the stats. Sadly, admissions is a crap shoot.
Best of luck!

1 Like

From Westchester too! But similar and different situation…
Deferred from ED (ivy), rejected UNC, deferred UVA, accepted UMich
Weird year is right…

1 Like

Hey all. I’m someone that resides in Virginia but decided not to apply to UVA. However, I know that the decisions for UVA EA came out recently. For in-state applicants, how hard was it to get in to UVA this time around? I’m just curious because I have quite a few friends that got in.

DD admitted OOS (KY)

36 ACT (one sitting)
4.0 UW GPA
14 APs, College Calc 3
Homeschooled
Club swim
No over the top EC’s

So far, she’s been deferred at MIT, rejected at CalTech, accepted to Pepperdine with merit scholarship, an accepted to all KY schools we applied to with scholarships. We were really happy she was accepted into UVA as it really seems to be a crapshoot this year. Just waiting to make a decision when the others come out in March. Love all the additional info and insight here!

5 Likes

Even if they have all the grades, stats, rigor, etc, they still don’t admit them all. Our daughter has legacy, is OOS, applying engineering was deferred. (3.95 UW, 4.5 weighted, top 2% of her class of 600 students, multiple honor societies, 3 season school sports all 4 years, plus additional ECs, works, did internship in engineering)

2 Likes