UVA EA / ED Fall 2023

It’s on Dean J’s IG page. It’s about 45 mins long. She recorded it live on Friday and noted that results would come out latest by the 15th.

Handle is @uvadeanj.

1 Like

@ uvadeanj

Thank you!

For UVA’s ED round…are a set number of slits allotted to that round? Apparently about 1000 or UVA’s 4000 freshman slots went to ED applicants last year. Is there a limit in the number of applicants they take from the ED pool?

No limit. But typically schools take a quarter or a third of their class early admission.

1 Like

No limit they look at all the rounds. Per Dean J, she said that the strongest applicants they found are in the EA round.

2 Likes

Thanks. The dean said that they received 4k ED and 36k(!!!) EA applications this cycle. Sounds like very long odds for everyone…

She also seemed to say that very few of those deferred to RD get admits.

2 Likes

UVA seems to be getting more applicants in EA v. RD each year. I wonder if it will soon be like UMD where you need to apply early to have a reasonable shot.

I don’t think so. UVA is pretty clear that there isn’t an huge advantage of EA over RD. They will review the apps the same way in each phase so if the application is stronger with senior grades it is best to apply RD. For example if a student is taking most APs during their senior year, I inferred most likely the student would deferred to RD because they want to see the senior grades. From what I recall this was also shared during an admissions talk we attended in person that if record is stronger with senior grades, apply Rd. Where as in UMD the admissions talk we attended encouraged us to apply EA if you want a chance to get in and school
Counselors basically told the kids have to apply EA for UMD.

1 Like

From the stats on the blog, it looks like EA was a substantial difference for in state students last year (30 percent acceptance v. 17 percent RD) but a much smaller differential for OOS (16 percent v. 12). Of course, it may not be a boast, but just a more qualified pool.

Anxious student from Shanghai~I wake up several times during the midnight and see if I receive new emails. I really want to get into UVa to get one thing done. Now I’m still in the lockdown and having virtual classes. The experiments required for IB biology and chemistry IA have not completed yet.

翠鹿(green deer) means “get accepted right away” in Chinese. Wish everyone in this thread 翠鹿~

7 Likes

Wanted to add that the deferral rates from early action last year were extremely low, @ 3% for VA students and less than 2% for OOS. Thought a deferral just meant that an application would be reviewed again in RD, but based on these low stats, this didn’t seem to be the case.

Here are the EA deferral numbers from last year:

Early Action Defers

Overall defers: 6,925 (22%)
Total VA defers: 2,295
Total OOS defers: 4,630

VA Deferred students offered admission: 72

OOS Deferred students offered admission: 83

2 Likes

With 36,000 pieces of mail going out into the USPS system during their busiest time of year, I don’t think anyone should read into the fact that they didn’t get that letter. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The deferred applications become RD applications and get reviewed after the deadline to submit midyear grades. Mid year grades and knowing more about the applicant pool at that point helps us make a decision.

Deferred students can withdraw at any point, so that total number of defers changes almost daily.

We’ve been really clear in presentations and on my social that the Early Action group is the strongest and largest of the three pools. The review isn’t more lenient during any phase. Remember to look at raw numbers along with percentages.

Okay, back to the files! I’m not able to check in here regularly, so please contact me via my social channels if there’s something urgent. Hang in there and good luck, everyone!

8 Likes

hello friend from Shanghai!!! my mom can speak Shanghainess since my grandparents both from Shanghai :slight_smile:

Tuesday per IG

3 Likes

I’d rather just get declined then to continue to hope for acceptance. Those are huge numbers to defer considering the eventual acceptance numbers. Stressful times.

2 Likes

From Dean J’s Admission Blog:
I have some statistics for the Early Decision round of our application review to share with you. These are unofficial. Institutional Research and Analytics is the source of all official statistics about UVA. They take a census to determine the final statistics for the class in the fall. You can see official admission data in the data digest part of their website.

These numbers were updated on 12/12 at 2:00 PM. If you are a reporter, please contact the Office of University Communications for current, official information.

Early Decision Applications

Total number of Early Decision applications: 4,243 (3,474 last year)
Total number of VA apps: 2,250 (1,845)
Total number of OOS apps: 1,993 (1,629)
We use completed applications in our statistics.

Early Decision Offers

Overall offers: 1,040 (1,097)
Total VA offers: 700 (31% offer rate)
Total OOS offers: 340 (17% offer rate)
Enrollment Goal: ~3,750
Averaging these offer rates together is misleading because residency is a major factor in our review. If you are going to share these numbers, cite BOTH offer rates and not an average. Last year, we made just over 8,400 total offers to reach the enrollment goal.

Early Decision Defers

Overall defers: 1,166
Total VA defers: 643
Total OOS defers: 523
Deferred students are no longer bound by Early Decision agreements. Read more about deferral here (this link is in all defer letters). Midyear grades are due by February 15th and we’re happy to take them via the student portal.

A few notes:

1. I can’t respond to requests for additional statistics. We are already immersed in the Early Action review process and I have files to read!

2. Decisions will be posted in the applicant portal tomorrow night. You got login credentials back when we received your Common App. I don’t control the posting of the decisions, but we will email everyone after the technical team finishes the work they do to add decisions to the poral. Your enrollment deposit is due by January 5th.

3. Admitted students will get a paper copy of the offer letter by mail. Unfortunately, I can’t predict when the USPS will get that into your mailbox.

4. Defer letters have a link to the deferred student FAQs on our website. Please share this information with your parent(s) and counselor.

5. The Echols, Rodman, and College Science Scholars program invitations will be extended at the end of the Early Action and Regular Decision processes. Echols and Rodman also allow self-nomination after your first semester.

12 Likes