UVA EA / ED Fall 2023

Since I’m part of the source of the rumor/chatter, I’ll chime in. :slight_smile: The asst. admissions director that gave the info session on Saturday said that - without quoting the date - they are running ahead of schedule, always release Friday @5 and applicants could see something very soon.

No rumor that that happened - only potential is the interpretation of the words and does it mean 2/10 or 2/17.

4 Likes

I’m sure we will hear one way or the other this coming Thurs on Dean J’s IG!

1 Like

As the parent of a very hopeful OOS applicant, but aware that chances are slim, I’m ready to get it over with as soon as possible!

2 Likes

Same here. Not expecting it, but want to get it over with either way!

1 Like

Good luck to your child!

3 Likes

And to yours! Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

41,000 oos applicants, this is truly a depressing applications year.

4 Likes

What?!! 41,000 oos applicants?!! That’s insane! So roughly 14,000 instate applicants (assuming that if they got 55,000+ applications this year). I wonder how it all breaks down to ED, EA, RD…

It’s almost impossible to get in if OOS. UvA is not a large school compared to other state schools/ it’s half the size of UMD, Umich, VT. But big wahoo family over here and it will be a sad day… I will prob be the one crying.

6 Likes

I mistyped (and corrected), it’s 41,000 oos, not 47,000. Still a huge number.

4 Likes

As I have mentioned my daughter was a 2019 applicant and will be graduating in May from UVA. Just for perspective there were 41,000 applicants total just 4 years ago…
It’s been a wonderful experience for her (even with COVID and the horrific incident last semester.) She’s made great friends and has a job that exceeded our expectations lined up after graduation.
I’ve followed the application process since she started applications in the Summer of 2018 and it’s gotten more competitive every year. I wish all applicants and their parents the best of luck whenever the results are released.
I’m not sure if my daughter would have gotten in this year (I like to think she would have) but I can say without a doubt that I wouldn’t have now - alum CLAS ‘92

4 Likes

The breakdown of the 55,845 applicants is 8% ED, 65% EA, 27% RD.

1 Like

I’m confused - are you saying that at the VA tech tour they discussed when UVA is releasing decisions?

Negative - but I can see how this has turned confusing!!

At the VT tour this past Saturday one of the admissions deans strongly suggested they would be releasing decisions this coming Friday night.

I think someone else was suggesting that UVA sometimes(?) releases at the same time and for folks that applied to both schools - my DS is in this camp - we might see decisions for both on the same night. I have no knowledge of UVA’s other than what someone else posted that the dean posts on IG when they are releasing.

1 Like

Past 4 years

OOS was ~ 29K, 29K, 34K, 37K
In state was ~ 12K, 12K, 14K, 14K

~41K and 15K sound about right for this year

5 Likes

any portal astrology? And what is the acceptance rate for EA in-state?

1 Like
2 Likes

Last year, it seems to be about 10 percentage points less than the ED rate, so a guesstimate would be 20 percent or so. But in this crazy admissions cycle, who can say.

Many students will get in EA instate. All of my friends’ kids got into UVA last year. As they were all Instate- UvA was not their first choice but they ended up going since it was a rough year to get into other elite colleges as well.

2 Likes

20% in state is still very difficult tho, and I feel like it will decrease this year because of how many applicants there are. I’m not sure how it will be this year