UVA Engineering vs Virginia Tech Engineering

<p>Which would you choose?</p>

<p>Virginia Tech is higher in Overall rankings as well as all major rankings except Biomedical and Chemical Engineering. (according to US News)</p>

<p>The other factor is prestige, which is better known/better regarded. I think it's interesting how VT Engineering is higher ranked than Harvard and Columbia but most of us would choose Harvard over VT even if these rankings said VT was better</p>

<p>Size of the school is another factor, VT has around 10,000 more undergraduates than UVA</p>

<p>Most engineers would choose VT over Harvard of Columbia if they wanted to work in engineering. It's a better engineering school. Also, VT is a clear favorite over UVA if you're going into engineering and plan on working in engineering, hands down.</p>

<p>I got accepted to both UVA and VT engineering programs and chose VT. Very glad I did in terms of the job I have when I graduate this spring and the experiences. Most of my friends have jobs with top engineering and/or consulting companies such as GE, Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Booz Allen Hamilton, Boeing, Accenture, etc.</p>

<p>Stresst, Go where you feel you would be happiest. Son is graduating from UVa in May -no problem getting job offers(had offers from 2 of the employers that compgeek mentions). UVa engineering kids get recruited by lots of the major employers, including those compgeek mentions as well as employers like McKinsey,Bain,Dean and Co.,BCG,etc. Son is instate, did not apply to Virginia Tech. Both schools are great and either will help you get a job in engineering.</p>

<p>Stresst, this same question is on the UVA forum and there have been some varying insights. You may want to take a look just from a different perspective. </p>

<p>sevmom has it right. Both schools are top notch. And I agree with chuy as well about choosing a school that has a definite "nitch" in a field over another one, just for its "name". </p>

<p>I am probably in the minority here on CC, because I am SO not into the name/prestige factor. My mantra is "strength of program, strength of program, strength of program". For example, the University of Rhode Island, a name not on anyone's prestigious schools list, has one of the best programs in Marine biology in the country. And I'd gladly send my kid to "lowly" Virginia Commonwealth over Harvard or Princeton if she knew she wanted to major in the visual arts.</p>

<p>We told our kid to look at schools in this way:</p>

<ol>
<li> Look at where we can afford.</li>
<li> Look for the best program you can find in your prospective major (and where we can afford to send you).</li>
<li> Given you have more than one choice (and have satisfied #1 and #2), go where you see yourself spending 4-5 years and see yourself being happiest.</li>
</ol>

<p>VT has a tremendous engineering program; graduating well-trained engineers is one of the things they do best. That means a great deal. </p>

<p>Have you had time to visit both of the schools? They are very different (and not just in the way they approach engineering education). Go and see what you think and make a decision based on your gut. All of the best as you make your decision!</p>

<p>Stresst, this same question is on the UVA forum and there have been some varying insights. You may want to take a look just from a different perspective. </p>

<p>sevmom has it right. Both schools are top notch. And I agree with chuy as well about choosing a school that has a definite "nitch" in a field over another one, ivy or not, for the "name". I am probably in the minority here on CC, because I am so not into names/prestige factor, etc. My mantra is "strength of program, strength of program, strength of program". For example, the University of Rhode Island, a name not on anyone's prestigious schools list, has one of the best programs in Marine biology in the country, I'd send my kid to lowly Virginia Commonwealth over Harvard or Princeton if he/she wanted to major in the visual arts.</p>

<p>We told our kid to look at schools in this way:</p>

<ol>
<li> Look at where we can afford.</li>
<li> Look for the best program you can find in your prospective major (and where we can afford to send you).</li>
<li> Given you have more than one choice (and have satisfied #1 and #2), go where you see yourself spending 4-5 years and see yourself being happiest.</li>
</ol>

<p>VT has a tremendous engineering program; graduating well-trained engineers is one of the things they do best. That means a great deal. </p>

<p>Have you had time to visit both of the schools? They are very different (and not just in the way they approach engineering education). Go and see what you think and make a decision based on your gut. All of the best as you make your decision!</p>

<p>UVA takes a more liberal arts approach
VT takes a more science and math approach</p>